Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Vendor, Blog and TV Channel Forecasts Thread Part 2

Rjay

8 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

The Euro for next February has consistently looked amazing....let's hope it doesn't end up like 2006-07 and we get a bunch of ice/sleet events!

The stronger than average SE Ridge will eventually burn us near the coast and force tracks inland. We’ve been on a good run without much blocking but it can’t last forever. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jm1220 said:

The stronger than average SE Ridge will eventually burn us near the coast and force tracks inland. We’ve been on a good run without much blocking but it can’t last forever. 

I agree but it waxes and wanes so we win some and we loose some. As long as we do not have a repeat of 01/02 where the whole country is wall to wall warmth I’m ok with loosing a couple 

On 10/7/2018 at 10:41 AM, Rtd208 said:

Interesting discussion from Larry Cosgroves weekly newsletter last night in the longer term outlook. Not set in stone obviously but basically thinking milder temps from November 7 thru December 26 then a fairly cold and stormy January thru March. Winter could be close to 2009-10. 

These ideas still have to be written lightly in pencil, but you can break out the magic marker for the Christmas torch.   Never seems to fail

'

Larry Cogrove

"The turn to colder air over much of the U.S. in this past week is really only the start of some major weather changes. Because as we approach Halloween, the threat for a large scale major storm and follow-up cold spell will be increasing.

A prominent Kelvin wave is solidifying over the westernmost Pacific Ocean above Indonesia. As the Madden-Julian Oscillation is expanding eastward, this impulse may link with the polar westerlies (see shortwaves in the PRC and east of Japan), and start the process of amplifying the jet stream with a ridge over Alaska and western/northern Canada. That action would force digging of a 500MB shortwave into the lower Great Plains around Oct 25.

Now this is the important part! At the same time that cold air drainage and central U.S. disturbance is taking shape, the tropical Atlantic Basin may supply a warm-core impulse or moisture fetch into the Gulf of Mexico. There are two viable candidates for warm-core cyclogenesis (Caribbean Sea and Lesser Antilles), and one or both of these systems could get drawn into the deepening extratropical storm as it approaches Appalachia and the Eastern Seaboard Oct 27-29."

• Like 3

Well, shoot. My wife and I have been debating whether or not to commit to a 2 day outdoor event (in the hills of Dutchess County) on 11/3-4 to kick off holiday sales for her new small business. I'm not comfortable pre-paying for a spot that may be cold and wet if this end of the month scenario plays out to the cold side which appears to be the consensus at the moment.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 8:45 PM, jm1220 said:

I like that we have an el nino, it usually forces more suppressed tracks that are good for us, most of our biggest snowstorms have occurred during an el nino.  It might get off to a rocky start but I have confidence in the second half of winter at least.

Meanwhile I'm glad October actually feels like fall- I wasn't taking seriously the idea of a torch October.  It's the fall month historically least likely to torch and we should see our first frost this weekend.

14 minutes ago, tim said:

...JB

predicting a cold/stormy winter for east coast.

could be "spectacularly" cold..rivaling 13-14 winter.

pretty bold statements even for him!

So let me get this straight. NOAA going with warm and dry conditions while JB says armageddon is coming. Someone is going to look foolish.

Keep in mind that noaa hasn't predicted a below normal winter in the NE in a long time...I believe it's something like 10 to 15 years? At my station, going back 18 years it's split evenly between above and below normal winters as are the last 10 years. The last three winters have averaged above however. Lot of cold Marches lately, if you want to extend things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

So let me get this straight. NOAA going with warm and dry conditions while JB says armageddon is coming. Someone is going to look foolish.

Focusing on the weather climate is a lot more enjoyable than following the political climate. Considering the above predictions there doesn’t, at the moment, seem to be much of a difference.

On 10/20/2018 at 6:32 AM, NutleyBlizzard said:

NOAA has been going warm for years iirc and JB is always cold and stormy.

If I were a betting man I'd go with above average temps and above average snow.  So "warm and stormy".

• Haha 1

Just now, MeteorologicalFan said:

I forget the last time they went with below average? I mean global warming is definitely considered but they’ve been wrong a lot for the northeast.

Most months have been in the top 10-15 warmest on record globally.  You can't really blame them for betting on above average. 

2 hours ago, Rtd208 said:

Yep I was just going to post that. He is on the warmer train until late December. 

So am I.   I like short but nice 2 week winter period from late December through early January.  Then a longer 5-6 week period from late January through early March.  I also don't do seasonal forecast.

We'll see.   

Larry Cosgrove released his 2018/19 Winter Outlook.

November: Temp much above normal/Confidence Level 5 out of 10

December: Temp much above normal/Confidence level 3 out of 10

January: Temp near normal/Confidence level 3 out of 10

February: Temp much below normal/Confidence level 5 out of 10

March: Temp much below normal/Confidence level 4 out of 10

Snow/Ice Potential: Critical (which is good for snow lovers)

• 1 month later...