Newest Member
    SnowHabit
More Summer Banter

eekuasepinniW

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Question.. Is the board just always going to be eye gouging out slow like it has been since the change? Or are improvements being worked on? Because it's basically not usable as it is 

Based on the board upgrade notice from 18 days ago, they're going with trial and error, so it's hard to predict if/when that will fix things.  I wonder if there is a competent dba and/or ips board expert working on the problem. 

Wow, after trying from time to time the past couple of hours finally got on.  Really hope this board can be fixed or downgraded back before any kind of real weather event.

Light rain up here in Central NH. Seem to be under the heavier band giving me almost .10" since daybreak.  If this keeps up I may break 2" for the month!

22 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Based on the board upgrade notice from 18 days ago, they're going with trial and error, so it's hard to predict if/when that will fix things.  I wonder if there is a competent dba and/or ips board expert working on the problem. 

It would seem they would have tested it out before switching it over. But apparently they didn't. Like sands thru the hourglass. These are the days of our lives 

Not sure what I can say.  There was a test forum for us to see and use.  There were no issues with it.  It's something to do with the dB itself that seems to be causing the issues.  Finding that has been the issue.  The servers are running fine as well.  There is a ticket in with invision to look at the configuration of the dB.  Hopefully they can give us an assessment of what they see and give us some answers.  We do have a couple competent dB people but we may need to bring in an expert if this continues without solutions.

4 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Not sure what I can say.  There was a test forum for us to see and use.  There were no issues with it.  It's something to do with the dB itself that seems to be causing the issues.  Finding that has been the issue.  The servers are running fine as well.  There is a ticket in with invision to look at the configuration of the dB.  Hopefully they can give us an assessment of what they see and give us some answers.  We do have a couple competent dB people but we may need to bring in an expert if this continues without solutions.

Everyone can come to my new site www.newenglandwxminustollandct.com

i wonder if that's really what it is...

first of all, "they" have always had problems with load-balancing ... particularly during bigger weather events that garner more attention/usage...etc.  

maybe they should ask Facebook how they handle a global enterprise... - 

anyway, this new interface (espoused to be better for iPhone/Android type users and so forth) is dubious to me.  Why, because when I am re-directed to an ad first when using iPhone, regardless of being logged in, that's like a 'clock-work orange' economic practice, and actually more likely a vehicle to expose people to advertisements.  

for while, becoming a member and more importantly .. .logging into one's account was supposed shut many of the ads down - at that time, part of the new schtick.  and it still does ... if you are a PC users.  but i noticed from iPhones that even when logged in now, if attempting to enter a reply or post one has to scroll through an ad first. maybe that's all an accident ...okay.

there's obviously a completely different philosophy to this forum's operation and very existence compared to what it was 10 odd years or more back, during the age of social media's first explosion of various types of band widths.  somewhere along the way, a cadre of Easter wx user(s) with wherewithal came to an awareness of this type of interaction's attraction ...and that was really the 'seed' of the American and the big split off hellabulloo that took place several years back - a new vision ... profit. 

that's fine ... i got no beef with making money and the capitalist spirit, but it's cheesy whenever good stuff in society gets tinkered with in order to make more money, and it f's sh- up ... ultimately rooted back to greed - comes off as sort of dishonest, too- 'we saw an opportunity to make more money so we rolled out this new "iPhone friendly" OS but oops - we'll just blame it on needing an expert'. 

maybe, maybe .. not, but once this site became a for profit enterprise .. heh.  one would be wise not to trust the 'reasons' much farther than they can carry the server(s) that make it all possible. 

I work in IT and if I implemented a system as "reliable" as this board has been lately, particularly since the "upgrade", I would be out of a job.  I know it's hard to do load testing or even testing in general that covers all basis but this board is unavailable or down several times a day it seems.  I would hope that the incidents are being reviewed with the vendor to determine what the issue is but they keep happening.

Is there a place where members can see what is actively happening to prevent these daily "events"?

Otherwise, are there other forums that folks go to when the board is down?

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...tough crowd. Not even IPB can seem to find the issue. Onto the next step.

There's no way to just pull it and go back to the old board?  Sort of like when a company's website upgrade fails and they quickly switch back to the old site after a couple days of troubleshooting...then re-launch once all the bugs are out?

16 minutes ago, dendrite said:

lol...tough crowd. Not even IPB can seem to find the issue. Onto the next step.

Seems to be better ATTM.  If a vendor told me that they don't know what the issue is, I would laugh.  That wouldn't give me a lot of confidence that they know their product.  They should be able to tell you how the hardware/software needs to configured to meet your demands.  I don't have a choice of crashes with my systems (I work in healthcare) and I have very little lee way for down times. 

At least there is a next step.

Archived