Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Monday July 25th Severe Thunderstorm Potential

bluewave

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Big Jims Videos said:

A LOT of damage here in bridgewater township somerset county. Looks like a microburst or a weak tornado from my eyes. For you news 12 subs I'll have live pictures at 10:30 and noon from the neighborhood. It's bad.  

Yeah it sounds like it though I'm not sure the township can make that determination

http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2016/07/branchburg_microburst_throws_cars_100_feet_snaps_p.html#incart_river_home_pop

Branchburg announced late Monday that the severe thunderstorm caused sporadic power outages. The township also reported that "the area of Harlan School Road, Stony Brook Road and Preakness Circle was exposed to a microburst, a small tornado-like wind storm, that was strong enough to break at least seven utility poles and throw cars almost 100 feet."

The lightning I saw yesterday with the storms was one of the most impressive I've witnessed in Long Beach. That would be a higher end storm in Austin for sure. I probably also had 2.5" of rain since the storms trained over us for quite some time. It was quite chaotic around town once things finally settled down, like I mentioned last night.

13 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The lightning I saw yesterday with the storms was one of the most impressive I've witnessed in Long Beach. That would be a higher end storm in Austin for sure. I probably also had 2.5" of rain since the storms trained over us for quite some time. It was quite chaotic around town once things finally settled down, like I mentioned last night.

I can see from the pictures on social media that National and Park flooded out again like it always does with these training storms.

The two heaviest storms that I ever saw in Long Beach were 5.15" in 2 hrs on 6/22/95  and the  8/14/11 10"+ . Experienced

numerous 2"+ storms. Best lightning was the continuous lightning event on 5/31/85 which was the remnants of the 

record Western PA tornado outbreak.

You have to feel for those people with the slope down driveways that flood their basements out and cause sewer backups.

FLOOD.jpg

7 hours ago, bluewave said:

I can see from the pictures on social media that National and Park flooded out again like it always does with these training storms.

The two heaviest storms that I ever saw in Long Beach were 5.15" in 2 hrs on 6/22/95  and the  8/14/11 10"+ . Experienced

numerous 2"+ storms. Best lightning was the continuous lightning event on 5/31/85 which was the remnants of the 

record Western PA tornado outbreak.

You have to feel for those people with the slope down driveways that flood their basements out and cause sewer backups.

FLOOD.jpg

The 8/14/11 event is still the heaviest rain I've seen in my life. Last Halloween in Austin was a close second-I'd imagine in the core of it was worse-I was on the west side of it since I'm about a 20 minute drive west of the Austin airport which had to close from the rain and had 17" in about 12 hours and 6" in one hour. 

Archived