joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Parts of MO received anywhere from 4-8" of rain last night, I think the NAM actually showed no precip for the hardest hit areas lol. 

August. The last month of met summer already, in just 6 short weeks we start to see the subtle signs of fall, early leaf changers, NFL, chili season, and the ungodly sight of pumpkin flavored everything lol. Speaking of that, local grocery stores already rolled out Sam Adams fall brews lol. 

Some real moist air moving into the region again, it's amazing to me how persistent this summer pattern has been. 

1 hour ago, Chambana said:

Parts of MO received anywhere from 4-8" of rain last night, I think the NAM actually showed no precip for the hardest hit areas lol. 

August. The last month of met summer already, in just 6 short weeks we start to see the subtle signs of fall, early leaf changers, NFL, chili season, and the ungodly sight of pumpkin flavored everything lol. Speaking of that, local grocery stores already rolled out Sam Adams fall brews lol. 

Some real moist air moving into the region again, it's amazing to me how persistent this summer pattern has been. 

Iowa slammed as well.  Very impressive little setup out that way last night/early this morning.

2s18vpc.jpg

56 minutes ago, IthielZ said:

Didn't see that coming after April/May.

I did, these post Nino transition into Nina summers always tend to be above normal with actually late July and into August being the core heat period. I don't know how that will shake out this time around, though it does look above normal for the duration.

This humidity is taking its toll. I don't think ORD has had a below normal low temp in 15+ days...and you can probably add another 5 or more days to the streak based on the forecast. 

I know it's the NAM at 84 hours...but verbatim you can probably add 3-5 degrees onto that map for the peak heat index, as the depiction is 00z (7pm central time).

Best MET summer I can remember..  Its had it all with plenty of cooler by the lakes while inland Gold Bonded.  This summer gets a complete opposite grade of last winters - F

Couple months and The UP. of MI. residents of the board will be searching every and all models for the first signs that points to the best weather that falls to the ground :)

Enjoy your last month of summer!

Tonight's storms were supposed to be over northeast Iowa and adjacent areas of MN/WI/IL, but, as happens so often, this morning's storms over sw Iowa hung on all day and prevented the boundary from moving northeast.  Now tonight's storms may be mostly south and west again.  Some are already going out by Omaha.  It has been ten days since we've had any rain, so we could use some.  The dewpoint rose back to 73 today, but cloud debris from storms out west kept us fairly cloudy the last couple days so it didn't get hot.

11 hours ago, UMB WX said:

Best MET summer I can remember..  Its had it all with plenty of cooler by the lakes while inland Gold Bonded.  This summer gets a complete opposite grade of last winters - F

Couple months and The UP. of MI. residents of the board will be searching every and all models for the first signs that points to the best weather that falls to the ground :)

Enjoy your last month of summer!

I agree! This has been a fantastic summer weather wise... not too dry, not too warm. 

looking forward to fall, and a long one at that (hopefully).  I've learned it's not if the snow comes, it's when!

27 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

I agree! This has been a fantastic summer weather wise... not too dry, not too warm. 

looking forward to fall, and a long one at that (hopefully).  I've learned it's not if the snow comes, it's when!

It's not if the snow comes it's when it comes is a more applicable phrase for the lower lakes. The word "if" should never even enter your vocabulary up there.

I always enjoy summer regardless of the weather. I've loved the weather the last 3 summers much better than this one (long live 2009 & 2014), but weather rarely dampens or sweetens the pot on my summer. However as always in August, I start to get a major craving for all things Fall. Fall fever is almost here for me!

4 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Have had 60% chance of storms tonight for the past few days, but now it's been knocked back to just 30%.  Luckily we don't need the rain at all.

Luckily the models have backed off the crazy dews for the next few days.  Now only low to mid 70s instead of low 80s.  

Not only that, but it appears most areas will now struggle to get very far beyond 90*F, whereas 100*F+ potential was hinted at a couple days ago for many locations.

I'm fine with that. That means little convective debris issues to contend with (versus the rounds of MCS advertised perviously).

2 hours ago, Powerball said:

Not only that, but it appears most areas will now struggle to get very far beyond 90*F, whereas 100*F+ potential was hinted at a couple days ago for many locations.

I'm fine with that. That means little convective debris issues to contend with (versus the rounds of MCS advertised perviously).

Every summer we see models show significant heat in the long range slowly ratchet back to more mundane heat as we get closer.  This summer seems to have featured that even more than normal, as the Euro has had us near 100 many times beyond 100hrs only to have it ratchet back to more of an 85-95 type scenario.  If I was a heat monger I'd be pretty disappointed with how long-range heat waves have consistently wussed out as they came closer considering how wimpy the last few years has been for heat.  The extreme humidity and 110+ heat index readings definitely would have made up for the lack of true heat though.

Archived