• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2016 General Discussion

Powerball

Today's storms were the best so far this year...strong winds, downpour, huge bolts of lightning...  It was starting to dry out some around here finally, been missing most the good rains lately.  92F again today...  That is our 13th 90F+ reading.. 

Dewpoints near or above 80F are incredibly nasty...useless too.  You can't do anything in that.  It was low 90Fs earlier today/dews in the low 70Fs and i was drenched just mowing the lawn (right before the storms hit)...  80F dew..probably be dead in the driveway.

Extended looks coolish...i'll take it.

Some ragweed, but hasn't been too bad yet...That will be coming hard shortly.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the Illinois members would be really tracking this severe storm complex. This has caused wind damage in a variety of areas in WI and IA already today. It looks like the atmosphere is somewhat capped now in Illinois, still with decent CAPE, and the Iowa segment of this could still be fueled by 3000-4000 J/kg of CAPE.

x0tdmaZ.png

2 hours ago, wxman_ind said:

92 degrees today at KIND. Only a trace at the airport. I had 1.35" in about an hour at my house.

Wow, nothing here north of the city. Starting to get kind of dry again. Maybe tomorrow my tippy bucket will get to measure something again.

20 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I did not see any wind close to severe, but I did get some nice lightning, including a strike very near my house.  It appears I received a tad over an inch.  Some spots around the area have received 2-3 inches.

Glad to see you finally got some decent rains.  Yeah it blew over here for the most part.  Only 0.23" so far.  Just light anvil rain falling now with some thunder rolling from time to time.  Very enjoyable evening to be sure.  We definitely don't need much rain so I'm good with the lighter amounts here.  Personal weather station just north in Morrison has had over 1.60" of rain in the last hour, as the book-end portion of the line had stalled over them for awhile.  

A shot from earlier as the storm was tornado warned.  Was still a good 15-20 miles away at this point so couldn't see any features associated with the tor threat.  

2ist7ox.jpg

Glad to see you finally got some decent rains.  Yeah it blew over here for the most part.  Only 0.23" so far.  Just light anvil rain falling now with some thunder rolling from time to time.  Very enjoyable evening to be sure.  We definitely don't need much rain so I'm good with the lighter amounts here.  Personal weather station just north in Morrison has had over 1.60" of rain in the last hour, as the book-end portion of the line had stalled over them for awhile.  

A shot from earlier as the storm was tornado warned.  Was still a good 15-20 miles away at this point so couldn't see any features associated with the tor threat.  

2ist7ox.jpg

There was a brief interesting circulation east side of RFD/Cherry Valley area to near Belvidere that prompted a TOR possible tag in the warning. Seems like reports are more concentrated in that area, so if nothing else there was an enhanced pocket of wind there.

25 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

There was a brief interesting circulation east side of RFD/Cherry Valley area to near Belvidere that prompted a TOR possible tag in the warning. Seems like reports are more concentrated in that area, so if nothing else there was an enhanced pocket of wind there.

Yep it'll be interesting to see if any tors get confirmed in that area, and the area north of DVN.  Funny thing about tonight was that I had told the sister in law that the storms prob wouldn't be a big deal, and there was basically no tornado threat.  Then an hour later, boom, tornado warning just off to the west lol.  Lost some cred tonight lol.

Yep it'll be interesting to see if any tors get confirmed in that area, and the area north of DVN.  Funny thing about tonight was that I had told the sister in law that the storms prob wouldn't be a big deal, and there was basically no tornado threat.  Then an hour later, boom, tornado warning just off to the west lol.  Lost some cred tonight lol.

I'm interested in what additional reports we get from there when the sun comes up and if there's anything decently significant. Not sure if we'll survey just with that circulation having occurred without any reporting a distinct path of damage.

Maybe a better shot north of DVN given the intensity of that circulation? But anyway, I was in the same boat, didn't expect the MCS to hang on as long as it did, certainly not thinking a tor threat within the LOT CWA. Funny how it goes sometimes. Did have a feeling it would come down to how quickly the likely MCS would propagate, getting in earlier helped bring the severe threat a bit farther southeast.

40 minutes ago, Chinook said:

There have been no tornadoes in lower MI or northern OH this year

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/monthly/2016_annual_summary.html

2007 had the same thing at this point too, so much so that they included it in their NWS newsletter in mid August. We all know how the rest of 2007 went locally with the tornadoes in August and then the October outbreak.

21 minutes ago, IthielZ said:

I can't believe we crawled all the way back to 90 after that. Especially around here and at the airport, where for a good 20 minutes or so it stormed really good. It actually dropped all the way down to 74 at one point.

Gotta love Summer 2016 in that regard.

I was very tempted to call bust on hitting 90*F, but given the other impressive recoveries we witnessed this season, it didn't feel prudent.

EDIT: This was the 17th 90*F+ day of the year for DTW.

This fecent observation from Toledo (TDZ) says there was a 77 dew point (25C). I can never remember a dew point being this high in Toledo. This nearly matches the 76 dew point at TOL near the same time

KTDZ 051853Z AUTO 21007KT 190V260 7SM CLR 29/25 A2986 RMK AO2 SLP106 T02940250

KTOL 051752Z 18004KT 10SM BKN110 27/24 A2987 RMK AO2 RAE06 SLP108 P0009 60013 T02670244 10300 20222 58002

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Time lapse from last night.  Tornado warned portion was left of center earlier on.  DVN sent out a damage survey team this morning according to the summary page.  Haven't heard if they found anything or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3-_VP869HY

Nice vid.  Is this the survey?

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA/IL  

200 PM CDT FRI AUG 5 2016      

NWS STORM SURVEY TEAM SURVEYED DAMAGE ACROSS CLINTON AND SCOTT   COUNTIES TODAY. THE TEAM FOUND SPORADIC WIND DAMAGE, IN A PATH, IN   THE FORM OF TREES AND BRANCHES DOWN. THIS DAMAGE WAS FOUND TO BE   CONSISTENT WITH 65 TO 75 MPH STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. NO EVIDENCE OF A   TORNADO WAS FOUND.  

1 hour ago, vortex said:

Nice vid.  Is this the survey?

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE QUAD CITIES IA/IL  

200 PM CDT FRI AUG 5 2016      

NWS STORM SURVEY TEAM SURVEYED DAMAGE ACROSS CLINTON AND SCOTT   COUNTIES TODAY. THE TEAM FOUND SPORADIC WIND DAMAGE, IN A PATH, IN   THE FORM OF TREES AND BRANCHES DOWN. THIS DAMAGE WAS FOUND TO BE   CONSISTENT WITH 65 TO 75 MPH STRAIGHT LINE WINDS. NO EVIDENCE OF A   TORNADO WAS FOUND.  

Yep, that's it.  No nader afterall.  Rotation was definitely present, but must have stayed just aloft.

Archived