• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
MSU Distance Learning Geoscience

jmills

I'm attending university this fall to study computer science, and I love the field. I also have had a lifelong passion for weather, and want to eventually a meteorology degree.

I have been looking heavily into MSU's distance learning Geoscience B.S. program (NOT the certificate program) as a viable option - http://distance.msstate.edu/geosciences/bomp/home.

I would like to know the opinion of people who have been through this program, or have experience with it. Do you think the fact that it is an online program affects it's quality? Do you think going through the program was a good decision? I am interested in employment with the NWS, and the program's website mentions that you need to have the advisor adjust the program (I'm assuming to add in calculus based dynamics classes). Are there any other pitfalls I would need to be aware of?

Thanks!

Hello! I am a current student in the Geosciences Learning program at MSU and I hope I can offer you some helpful information regarding this program.

When I first signed up, I was advised that it is necessary to complete the certificate program first in order to complete the full bachelor's program. However, after your first 12 hour credits after enrollment, you can formally be entered into the major program while completing both your certificate and degree. The coursework consists of your typical classes that focuses on operational met and broadcasting met, also includes intro to physical and world geography, severe weather, emergency planning, etc. The professors are very helpful and the advisor is also helpful in setting up your courses and answering any questions you may have about your coursework. 

That is pretty much the summary of what this program consists of but if you have any specific questions, you can ask away and I hope I will be able to help!

Thanks for the very detailed reply!

My dream would be to one day land a job with the NWS. When it comes time, I think having dual bachelors, comp sci. and meteorology, will be beneficial.

I will bump this thread should I have any more questions...

Archived