Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
summer 2016 convection

forkyfork

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

6z NAM has 2.2" PWATs over the city at 21z.

If this is the wrong thread to ask in I apologize, however, I've been around here for a couple of years and never heard the term "PWATS" before (to my recollection). What does that mean?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If this is the wrong thread to ask in I apologize, however, I've been around here for a couple of years and never heard the term "PWATS" before (to my recollection). What does that mean?

Precipitable Water - measure of the depth of liquid water at the surface that would result after precipitating all of the water vapor in a vertical column over a given location, usually extending from the surface to 300 mb.

Precipitable Water - measure of the depth of liquid water at the surface that would result after precipitating all of the water vapor in a vertical column over a given location, usually extending from the surface to 300 mb.

I believe I understand now. Basically the forecasted virtual equivalent to actually checking a physical rain-catcher after an event?

I believe I understand now. Basically the forecasted virtual equivalent to actually checking a physical rain-catcher after an event?

No. It's how much water would have rained if the entire column of liquid over an area was squeezed out at any given moment. The higher the number, the more juicy the atmosphere and hence the more potential for flash flooding with good cells.

Oh forget it. I've been following Michael#'s too much.

Latest HRRR seems too agressive as it basically has a line of showers and storms running right through the city.

Looking for a real deal derecho? That's the only thing that would surpass sandy for tree damage around here. I'm not talking Labor Day 98 but more like that one upstate (can't remember the date but back in the day) that had wide spread 100mph winds during full leaf out

Looking for a real deal derecho? That's the only thing that would surpass sandy for tree damage around here. I'm not talking Labor Day 98 but more like that one upstate (can't remember the date but back in the day) that had wide spread 100mph winds during full leaf out

The same day. There were 2 separate derechos. The one upstate came earlier in the day I believe

July 1995 was a bad one which was mostly in the Adirondacks and places like Watertown

No. It's how much water would have rained if the entire column of liquid over an area was squeezed out at any given moment. The higher the number, the more juicy the atmosphere and hence the more potential for flash flooding with good cells.

Ahhhhh, I gotcha. Thanks!

Archived