Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Super Typhoon Nepartak

Scott747

good job, as always.

Well it was looking good there for awhile but unfortunately I think he's gonna miss the eye. After dropping the idea of heading N we talked about Taimali township to the S with how intense the southern eyewall was looking, but up until green island it looked like a direct hit on Tiatung.

That due w motion since the island sucked.

Eye has condensed into southern half and pressures actually rising at Taitung, appears to me that interaction with land is compressing the system further south and actual landfall may be as much as 40-50 miles south of Taitung in next hour. Track could be west-south-west until reaching midpoint of Taiwan then swerving northwest. This means strong storm surge later today in the Tainan area of the southwest coast. I expect Josh will experience some very strong oscillations in wind strength as a result of this chaotic evolution.

Sure this is self-evident but 8-12 inch rainfalls being reported over higher terrain indicate potential for rivers to rise very rapidly, noticing pictures of previous storm flood damage such as one highway bridge south of Taitung being completely washed away in a recent year (and rebuilt). So I would be cautious about heading out of town after the worst of the storm is over, it could take 3-6 hours for the flood crests to reach the coast.

Well it was looking good there for awhile but unfortunately I think he's gonna miss the eye. After dropping the idea of heading N we talked about Taimali township to the S with how intense the southern eyewall was looking, but up until green island it looked like a direct hit on Tiatung.

That due w motion since the island sucked.

Radar has all of  Taitung in the eye, but the northern eyewall is open so it won't really matter.

Looks like he missed a direct hit.

https://twitter.com/iCyclone/status/751167833262821376

Oh, we got a square-on direct hit.

The center passed just S of the city, so that the N eyewall-- and apparently the maximum winds-- passed directly over downtown Taitung City. Across the city, cars were thrown like toys, trees were debarked and defoliated, and some commercial buildings collapsed. My 20-story hotel tower swayed violently-- so badly that frightened guests came down to the lower floors during the height of the storm-- and the building lost numerous windows. The next day I drove S, through the area where the center crossed the coast (only about 10 mi S of Taitung City). The damage in this region was no heavier than what we saw in the city, and in fact it looked a bit lighter to me. So Taitung City was Ground Zero. I wanted to get in the eye, but I got the next best thing: the max winds.

Here's a small teaser of my video footage from the storm:

Radar has all of  Taitung in the eye, but the northern eyewall is open so it won't really matter.

Radar is deceiving. We were in the N eyewall for about 1.5 hours and it was full-on: violent winds well over 100 knots throwing cars and demolishing buildings, along with torrential rain. Afterward the city looked like a bomb had been dropped on it-- and this was all just from the wind. It was in the Top 5 in terms of most out-of-control cyclone conditions I've been in.

Thats awesome glad you made it out ok once again!

Radar is deceiving. We were in the N eyewall for about 1.5 hours and it was full-on: violent winds well over 100 knots throwing cars and demolishing buildings, along with torrential rain. Afterward the city looked like a bomb had been dropped on it-- and this was all just from the wind. It was in the Top 5 in terms of most out-of-control cyclone conditions I've been in.

Oh, we got a square-on direct hit.

The center passed just S of the city, so that the N eyewall-- and apparently the maximum winds-- passed directly over downtown Taitung City. Across the city, cars were thrown like toys, trees were debarked and defoliated, and some commercial buildings collapsed. My 20-story hotel tower swayed violently-- so badly that frightened guests came down to the lower floors during the height of the storm-- and the building lost numerous windows. The next day I drove S, through the area where the center crossed the coast (only about 10 mi S of Taitung City). The damage in this region was no heavier than what we saw in the city, and in fact it looked a bit lighter to me. So Taitung City was Ground Zero. I wanted to get in the eye, but I got the next best thing: the max winds.

Would suspect the true minimum pressure was probably quite a bit lower than the 957 that you measured, since you missed the actual center. Pressure gradient was probably insane across a storm like that in the eyewall. 

But glad to hear you got some good data, and that you're safe.

Thats awesome glad you made it out ok once again!

Thank you very much! :)

Would suspect the true minimum pressure was probably quite a bit lower than the 957 that you measured, since you missed the actual center. Pressure gradient was probably insane across a storm like that in the eyewall. 

But glad to hear you got some good data, and that you're safe.

For sure-- it goes without saying that the pressure inside the eye will be way lower than the pressure in the eyewall. The central pressure in this storm at landfall may have been 40 mb or lower than what I measured.

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

On 7/12/2016 at 5:42 AM, HurricaneJosh said:

Here's a small teaser of my video footage from the storm:

Judging by the videos and your descriptions of the damage it was right up there with the most violent ones that you've chased.  But it was only a CAT4 at landfall lol.  . I remember Hiyan wasn't even getting cars airborn  in the area you were staying. Can't wait to see the rest of the video

On 7/16/2016 at 9:53 AM, Amped said:

Judging by the videos and your descriptions of the damage it was right up there with the most violent ones that you've chased.  But it was only a CAT4 at landfall lol.  . I remember Hiyan wasn't even getting cars airborn  in the area you were staying. Can't wait to see the rest of the video

Agreed, this one was way up there for me in terms of violence.

I think it's because NEPARTAK's max winds in the right eyewall passed right over my location, whereas with HAIYAN, the max winds missed me a couple of miles to the S. (I was in HAIYAN's eyewall, but not the RMW.) Also, I should point out that NEPARTAK was a 130-kt super typhoon-- so it was way up there and one of the strongest I've chased in my twenty-five years: tied with PATRICIA 2015 and below only HAIYAN 2013 and DEAN 2007.

Anyhoo, thanks for watching the video. :)

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:58 PM, HurricaneJosh said:

Thank you very much! :)

For sure-- it goes without saying that the pressure inside the eye will be way lower than the pressure in the eyewall. The central pressure in this storm at landfall may have been 40 mb or lower than what I measured.

Thanks for your kind thoughts!

What amazes me is how violent the winds look yet it appears power never went out. Around here with all the big trees a storm usually results in lengthy power outages.

Been doing some post-storm nerding out. For this sexy infographic, I reconstructed the typhoon's track across Taiwan through a detailed, frame-by-frame analysis of the radar. It was especially challenging to find the center once it moved over the high mountains of Taiwan and the cyclone's core turned into scrambled eggs. (It was a tedious process, but now it's done!) This track shows the typhoon's center passing within 12 n mi (22 km) of downtown Taitung City—a track that brought the max winds of the N eyewall right over the city! One strange thing I noticed: the max winds and lowest pressure in Taitung City seemed to happen a little earlier than you'd expect from the hourly center positions—but it is what it is. 

NEPARTAK_landfall_infographic.png

• 4 weeks later...

This is a little off topic, but Tropical Storm Mindulle went close to Tokyo. Tokyo International Airport observations:

RJAA 220505Z 13045G70KT 1800 R16R/1100V1600N R16L/0900V1700D +SHRA BR FEW006 BKN012 BKN015 24/23 Q0985 RMK 1ST006 5CU012 6CU015 A2910 P/FR

RJAA observations show that the lowest pressure was 985mb, the highest gust was 70kt and the highest sustained wind was 46kt.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/22/asia/japan-typhoon-mindulle-weather/

Mindulle is projected to pass over some of Japan's most populated areas, including the cities of Tokyo, Yokohama and Sendai. Up to 15 inches (400 millimeters) of rainfall is expected in 24 hours in the Tokai area, north of Tokyo.
The second storm's landfall comes less than 24 hours after Typhoon Kompasu hit the Japanese island of Hokkaido late Sunday night, forcing thousands of locals to evacuate after the Tokoro river flooded.

Archived