Newest Member
    SnowHabit
All-purpose Thunderstorm Discussion Thread

weatherwiz

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I agree...I was amazed at how long the number of flashes and the rolling thunder lasted.  Just awesome!

Yeah crazy stuff.

Just checked the rain gauge...2.5" here in Woodstock since 3pm yesterday.

1.25" with the first round yesterday afternoon, then another 1.25" from the two waves of strong storms overnight.

Guess I brought the NNE rains down south with me.  Not dry here anymore.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah crazy stuff.

Just checked the rain gauge...2.5" here in Woodstock since 3pm yesterday.

1.25" with the first round yesterday afternoon, then another 1.25" from the two waves of strong storms overnight.

Guess I brought the NNE rains down south with me.  Not dry here anymore.

it's only dry at scooter's house.    No rain for him, only snow.

Had about half inch here it seems. Better than nothing. Really much more widespread than I thought. The first round was just convection gone wild in NY state that wasn't modeled all that well, but survived thanks to instability. Second round was from subtle s/w and increased LLJ which looked to be the real cause for storms before round 1 happened. I wonder if remnant boundaries leftover from round 1 actually helped and acted as a subtle WF. Anything to get the air to lift. 

Today is not set in stone. Rising heights aloft and perhaps some drying aloft too. Still, if we don't mix out...might be some good storms around. Perhaps near and s of Pike?

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Lol at BoX tweets of atmosphere not being supportive of it. She needs to be removed from the desk

In their defense, SPC was all over the place yesterday. The day shift issued that MCD saying isolated severe, 20% chance of a watch, then the evening shift comes in and reverses course and wanted a watch.

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Had about half inch here it seems. Better than nothing. Really much more widespread than I thought. The first round was just convection gone wild in NY state that wasn't modeled all that well, but survived thanks to instability. Second round was from subtle s/w and increased LLJ which looked to be the real cause for storms before round 1 happened. I wonder if remnant boundaries leftover from round 1 actually helped and acted as a subtle WF. Anything to get the air to lift. 

Today is not set in stone. Rising heights aloft and perhaps some drying aloft too. Still, if we don't mix out...might be some good storms around. Perhaps near and s of Pike?

Yeah, that cold pool really developed out by UCA and ran away with things. Anytime you have a real high theta-e air mass that is always the danger. I think the CAMs really don't handle cold pools well. They develop them, but it's not always correct with how it evolves downstream.

21 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, that cold pool really developed out by UCA and ran away with things. Anytime you have a real high theta-e air mass that is always the danger. I think the CAMs really don't handle cold pools well. They develop them, but it's not always correct with how it evolves downstream.

Yeah much more widespread than I thought thanks to that. Good show on round 2 down here. Hoping for more today.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Also looks like llvl winds veer to be west 

2 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

In their defense, SPC was all over the place yesterday. The day shift issued that MCD saying isolated severe, 20% chance of a watch, then the evening shift comes in and reverses course and wanted a watch.

It was a tough forecast. We had pretty meh forcing over SNE so we weren't going to get much unless the convection over NYS went to town. 

Today's a tough one. Definitely some subsidence as you can see heights rising all day but there appears to be a bit more low level convergence today than previous days with that front hanging around nearby.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance we see nothing much today but we'll be really unstable and deep layer shear is perking up a bit so it's worth watching. 

20 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Today's a tough one. Definitely some subsidence as you can see heights rising all day but there appears to be a bit more low level convergence today than previous days with that front hanging around nearby.

I'd say there's a pretty good chance we see nothing much today but we'll be really unstable and deep layer shear is perking up a bit so it's worth watching. 

That s/wv is pretty far west, so another glancing blow here. But we should be able to pop off a few storms. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I don't know where this "capping" came from yesterday.  Saw it mentioned a few times.  I guess maybe perhaps with the degree of warmth aloft you could make that argument, however, the convective temps were like low 90's which was easily achieved across many locations.  

Well, we were somewhat capped yesterday. The storms during the afternoon really struggled around here. During the evening things got better. 

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

Well, we were somewhat capped yesterday. The storms during the afternoon really struggled around here. During the evening things got better. 

Yeah, there was a small bit around. Much of the capping around the region was leftover from the backdoor. But you'll have capping anytime you're advecting serious warmth into the region.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, there was a small bit around. Much of the capping around the region was leftover from the backdoor. But you'll have capping anytime you're advecting serious warmth into the region.

Yup. Without some kind of synoptic scale forcing it's tough to get storms to really take off. We saw all kinds of towers going up yesterday afternoon and they struggled. 

When you get a big complex and a cold pool though all bets are off even if that stuff outruns the forcing. 

I had thought that there were several big signals which pointed towards the evening becoming quite active.  You had the slight increase in winds aloft coupled with weak height falls.  You also had impressive MLcape (>3000-3500 J) alon with steepening lapse rates which looked to be associated with the cold pool formed by the cluster(?).  

Outside of the slight capping we had during the day heights also remained quite neutral and winds aloft weren't much yet.  Those early storms likely had enhancement from the boundary nearby or perhaps leftover outflow from previous night 

Archived