Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 8

wxmx

3 hours ago, TXHawk88 said:

Lonnnnng time lurker, first time poster.

06Z GFS on board with getting some wintery precip, into N Texas around the 20th as well. Hopefully this trend continues.

IMG_0604.PNG

IMG_0605.PNG

That is a better look for us with no low over the Great Lakes and a s/w digging across Texas with some cold air in place.

gfs_z500_vort_namer_40.png

We can dream about the end result but it will probably be gone at 12z:

gfs_asnow_scus_41.png

12z Euro wasn't all bad and it highlights the potential for a storm around the 20th. It has a stronger northern stream vort that crushes the southern stream giving us a positive tilted sheared out mess. Small changes in timing or strength of features could result in a big storm. Maybe a time period to start paying closer attention to. 

From SHV: 

Watching Sat night/Sun and next Monday for interest...

The longer range models vary a bit on timing as our mid to late
week air mass slowly drifts East. Overrunning rain is often a bit
faster than expected and we are leaning with the slightly faster
ECMWF for the weekend event. The GFS is just a bit slower and
really it is difficult to portray any difference in timing with 12
hour blocks. However, the colder air will be working is just as
the rain is ending around midnight or daybreak, typical for our
area. So depending on a few issues, we may potentially see some
light change over as rain ends early Sunday, but until the models
come into better agreement we will remain all liquid at this
time. The 06Z run is now faster on GFS and colder and slower and
still wet 12z Sun on Euro. Stay tuned, but at least school will be
out for Christmas with the coldest high yet at 1040 and more moisture
streaming out of the Western Gulf over the TX coastal bend for
Monday. /24/

Starting to get interested in this potential energy rolling thru on Sun ngt into Monday. Cold air will be in place, so if the energy rolls out for Monday, It could get a bit messy for sure. 

Here's the 12z GEM picture. GFS also has the system, although on the 12z it was a bit displaced further east. 

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_scus_28.png

4 hours ago, Quixotic1 said:

FWD sounding bullish about this weekend.  Essentially that even though moisture will be limited, the forcing as the base of the trough swings through will be very strong.  

That was an interesting way to end the discussion. 18z GFS wasn't as encouraging as some of the previous runs but the cold air is there. It's just kind of a crappy setup with a positive tilted trough with energy hanging back in the SW. If that trough could get a more neutral orientation and that energy could kick out a bit faster... The 12z Euro drops about 1/3" of an inch of rain at DFW with temps in the mid-30s, so it isn't far off from something. 

It's interesting looking at the meteograms on Weatherbell from the EPS.

Says ABQ gets 6.0" snow from Dec 13-Jan 26 (+70%), and that precip is 1.18" in the same time frame (+90%). 

Would be a warm/wet period, given the temps are showing as +1F to +2F in the same period. Wet anomalies get stronger in the northern/western part of the states. Cooler too the further north & west into NM you go. The 46 day period shows the warm anomalies weakening in NM but growing in the SE, so maybe TX will be perpetually stuck between the two ridges trying to take in cold shots from the north?

1 hour ago, bubba hotep said:

12z Euro keeps DFW below 30 for the high on Sunday, unless it is above 30 after midnight. It is hard to tell exactly when DFW goes below 30 since it goes from 71 at 00z to 24 at 06z. Also, it kicks out the low and is much wetter than past runs but looks too warm for any winter weather. 

so that's a drop off from 7PM to 1AM local time?  Not unheard of.  Hasn't happened in awhile.  Christmas 2012 comes to mind.  

12z Euro keeps DFW below 30 for the high on Sunday, unless it is above 30 after midnight. It is hard to tell exactly when DFW goes below 30 since it goes from 71 at 00z to 24 at 06z. Also, it kicks out the low and is much wetter than past runs but looks too warm for any winter weather. 

Just gonna post this exact same thing. It also keeps us in the 20s all day Monday as well looks like after a low of 17°F Monday morning. I'm afraid the wintry precipitation with this front doesn't look all that exciting. Can't rule out flurries or freezing drizzle yet, but nothing significant. This definitely looks colder than last week and the coldest since January 2015 on lows, probably longer on highs.

Wow! This reminds me a TON of March 2014 here. The night of the big Ice storm behind the arctic front. Not saying we will see that again, but that day we had temps in the 70's before the front rolled thru and we dropped into the low 20s here by morning. This front may even be stronger than that one since back then we actually had 3 inches of sleet and freezing rain everywhere. What a wild drop! 76-20 in 12 hrs! 

Oh and temp Tuesday are def. not balmy with that next system hovering around or just above freezing on Tuesday.

12euro.JPG

8 minutes ago, ams30721us said:

Wow! This reminds me a TON of March 2014 here. The night of the big Ice storm behind the arctic front. Not saying we will see that again, but that day we had temps in the 70's before the front rolled thru and we dropped into the low 20s here by morning. This front may even be stronger than that one since back then we actually had 3 inches of sleet and freezing rain everywhere. What a wild drop! 76-20 in 12 hrs! 

Oh and temp Tuesday are def. not balmy with that next system hovering around or just above freezing on Tuesday.

12euro.JPG

In the 80s when these massive Arctic fronts came barreling through, I've seen the temperature drop 40+ degrees in 1 hour at DFW before. In Amarillo, when the December 1989 front came through the temperatures dropped 50+ degrees in less the 20 minutes causing light to bend. There were tons of reports people seeing mirages of cows in the sky because the light was bending. Texas extreme temps swings not uncommon!

31 minutes ago, DFWWeather said:

In the 80s when these massive Arctic fronts came barreling through, I've seen the temperature drop 40+ degrees in 1 hour at DFW before. In Amarillo, when the December 1989 front came through the temperatures dropped 50+ degrees in less the 20 minutes causing light to bend. There were tons of reports people seeing mirages of cows in the sky because the light was bending. Texas extreme temps swings not uncommon!

Wow! I can't even imagine! I still have some swings to get used to! Thats just gotta be unreal to the body! 

18z GFS appears to have a better vort pass for DFW than 12z:

gfs_z500_vort_namer_34.png

However, moisture return is limited due to the orientation of the trough in the days leading up to this image. It cuts off farther east than 12z allowing SW flow to continue longer before turning and tapping the Gulf. The 12z looked colder and had better moisture to work with but the 18z had a better ejection. Just need to get the right combo!

The latest thinking from FWD:

CzlfnmaVEAAAr9B.jpg

I hope I did this right and it's not time-sensitive, but I'm glad to see a Day 5 slight risk for deep east Texas. I'd like to see the system slow down a bit and move a bit farther west, but at least there's some interesting non-winter weather possible in my neck of the woods for Saturday:

day5prob.gif?1481673112203

A cherry on the top would be a bit of wintry precip behind the front Sunday morning. At least we have something interesting to follow!

12z GFS was disappointing for the DFW area but about 1/2 of the GEFS members show something frozen over the weekend.

It wasn't disappointing for the 26th. Has major winter storm then. It does however continue the trend of being colder with this outbreak for DFW for Sunday through Tuesday. From what I can gather from the NAM, just barely coming into range, it also appears colder at the surface and at H85. I'm going with a low of 18°F for Monday morning at DFW Airport and maybe not getting out of the 20s all day on Sunday. It is even conceivable that we will struggle to get above freezing, if at all, on Monday as well. Those hoping for snow with this blast, I'm afraid are out of luck. Best we can do is some freezing drizzle possibly or light flurries, but the surface is looking drier and the moisture to scour out quicker before subfreezing temperatures set in. Not real excited yet regarding storm system FWD is looking at for next week, where they mention possible wintry precip. Time will tell!