Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 8

wxmx

12 minutes ago, DFWWeather said:

Yes, but all of the GFS ensemble members output snow/ice for the area and over 50% of the both the 0z and 6z ensemble ECMWF members also produce significant accumulations of snow/ice for the area as well as a majority of Canadian ensemble members. 

Someone in the other thread mentioned a NW shift with the GFS. Seems to be a trend with the increased cold/moisture. Wouldn't get hopes up quite yet (though will agree this is the most interesting setup in years)

13 minutes ago, cheese007 said:

Someone in the other thread mentioned a NW shift with the GFS. Seems to be a trend with the increased cold/moisture. Wouldn't get hopes up quite yet (though will agree this is the most interesting setup in years)

12z GFS is even more bullish with 7.0 inches at DFW Airport to over a foot of snow in southwest Tarrant to hardly any in southeast Dallas County with over a quarter of an inch of sleet/ice for the entire Metroplex. Low temperature of 23°F at DFW Airport during the coldest part of the event. I don't see that trend, if anything a southeastward shift of heaviest precip.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

Lots of varying solutions with NAM being the coldest thus far.  It's still too early to tell if Dallas will be a wintry mix or cold rain.

Surely this time it won't be warmer than predicted. Like for once it has to be accurate or maybe colder right?

9 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

The cold air will obviously be there at the surface but I'm more focused on the temperatures aloft which will be the determining factor.  GFS nukes lower levels (resulting in cold rain/freezing rain) while NAM and Euro run colder (likely sleet/snow/patchy freezing rain).

Oh warm air aloft is part of what I was referencing. Have had so, so many setups get killed by it these past few years

9 minutes ago, It's Always Sunny said:

I agree.  These fronts are always so shallow which keeps me leery of the entire column cooling enough to produce wintry precip.

NWS hourly for my area seems bullish with a significant chance of accumulating snow and sleet. Hard not to get my hopes up

This storm is the first in a long time that is associated with a very deep trough so I am not so concerned with warmth aloft though E of I35 mixing will be an issue but I do not think it will be all rain until you get east of DFW. Sleet could push all the way into E TX Wed. Thursday will feature incredibly cold temps aloft.

4 hours ago, cheese007 said:

Models don't seem to keen on anything making it into the metroplex

EDIT: Winter storm watch expanded westward, includes Tarrant and Denton counties

I expect all of DFW will end up with a warning by tomorrow morning. An inch of sleet will cause huge travel issues. DFW looks top miss out on most of the snow with the majority falling between Childress and Wichita Falls and a secondary band tomorrow night from the Austin area through Deep E TX.

8 hours ago, aggiegeog said:

I expect all of DFW will end up with a warning by tomorrow morning. An inch of sleet will cause huge travel issues. DFW looks top miss out on most of the snow with the majority falling between Childress and Wichita Falls and a secondary band tomorrow night from the Austin area through Deep E TX.

After reviewing incoming 12z data, I'm not so sure. I think if anything Tarrant County will be downgraded to a Winter Weather Advisory or removed from the Winter Watch/Warning altogether. There is no supporting evidence on the models to have added Tarrant to the watch in the first place (and I am still perplexed on the reasoning on that), and certainly not Dallas County. This is primarily going to stay north and west of the Metroplex.

Interesting to note on the the latest NAM 2m Temps of below zero over the deep snow pack just northwest of Wichita Falls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DFWWeather said:

After reviewing incoming 12z data, I'm not so sure. I think if anything Tarrant County will be downgraded to a Winter Weather Advisory or removed from the Winter Watch/Warning altogether. There is no supporting evidence on the models to have added Tarrant to the watch in the first place (and I am still perplexed on the reasoning on that), and certainly not Dallas County. This is primarily going to stay north and west of the Metroplex.

Interesting to note on the the latest NAM 2m Temps of below zero over the deep snow pack just northwest of Wichita Falls.

Agreed model support waned overnight. It is still incredibly close call especially west of I-35. A slight cool down would change things drastically for Fort Worth even as it they will likely see a fair amount of sleet. For Dallas even if surface temps end up near freezing the warm nose is pretty stout. 

Albuquerque finally had a "high ratio" snow event today - airport reported 0.05" liquid equivalent as 1.3 inches of snow. So 6.6 inches for Oct 1-Feb 4 at the official site. At my place, only 0.7 inches today, but up to 10.3 inches for the season.

Roughly 40% of precipitation to fall in Dec-Feb so far has been snow for Albuquerque, and then another ~22% of the precipitation in November, the wettest November in 100+ years was also snow.

On the final update, only 0.8" snow yesterday in Albuquerque.

Today's high of 32F with a low of 12F in Albuquerque is the 39th coldest day in February in the last 100 years. Close to the 99th Percentile for cold in that period. I think we may make a run for 5-10F in the morning, which is pretty impressive here for February. I think the all time record low is about -7 for February, matched in 2011. Dew point is "only" -5, so we won't break the record.