• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 8

wxmx

I've decided to roll with 1934, 1976, 1986, 1994, 1994, 2006 as my Fall analogs. Cold AMO ring, slightly positive PDO, El Nino developing, La Nina in prior winter, low-solar, similar Modoki structure, and similar Monsoon conditions. So we'll see how it does.

Dlk2pBYUYAUHPmL.jpg:large

4xyIjAY.png

We had near record November highs here last year (65.4F, average in Nov is 57.3F), so that is the main reason for the huge drop off expected. Going from +3.3F for Fall highs to -1.4F for Fall highs against 1951-2010 is what the analogs get for Albuquerque.

I ended up with around 0.5" yesterday and today. Definitely needed. We only made it into the mid 80's today which was wonderful for Labor Day in Texas. 

I'm hoping we can cash in on some of the moisture from Gordon later this week, too. It seems like he might go a bit too far north/east. Something to track at least. 

Buda is in northern Hays County, about 15 miles south of Austin along I 35.

We received 3 inches of rain this afternoon. We are even more thankful for that rain, it is needed down here, and now I am praying other parts of Texas get much needed rain, but not flooding.

The grass is already responding to the recent rainfall.

Looks like I'll miss out on most of the Gordon rainfall, but the residual tropical moisture combined with a trough of low pressure/cold front moving into the region late this week is forecast to bring some good rains to the area. Hopefully 2"+ like the WPC has shown on their QPF map.

Looks like Austin lucked out on this round, I am not sure how it is happening, but all of the rain is going around us. I sure feel sorry for places to our west and north, the rain has been torrential and relentless in those areas for the past few days.

I hate when it rains on my outings here. It wont today or tonight.

Officially got 0.31" of rain today. That brings June 15-Sept 9 to 4.50" exactly for Albuquerque. The 1931-2017 mean for June 15-Sept 30 is 4.32". So we've had an above average monsoon here now. For June 15-Sept 9, against 1981-2010 we're about +17% now, against 1931-2017, +28%.

El Nino cold seasons after a wet monsoon tend to be snowy here - (long-term snow mean is 9.6")

hlr13ZI.png

I remain optimistic for this winter. There isn't a huge signal for extreme cold or extreme wetness here, but compared to last year, average is going to seem pretty great. My winters with <=50% of normal DJF precipitation and highs 3F or more above the long-term mean are pretty rare - 1933, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2005, 2008, 2013 and then last year. The following years, 1934, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2014 are varied, but overall, the signal is for a somewhat wet winter with average highs. Most of these years feature one fluke snow event outside Dec-Feb, Oct, Nov, Mar, Apr, May all had measurable snows.

My winter last year was close to a blend of 1933-34, 1985-86, 2005-06, so tentatively looking at 1934-35, 1986-87, 2006-07 for this year.

I've done some research on the SOI for snowfall here. It isn't a great indicator for individual months, except a -SOI in Aug/Sept/Oct all pretty strongly favor snow in November here. High Oct-May seasonal snow, and a high single month for snow is favored with a -SOI in those months too.

The NAM is bringing pretty good rainfall here Tues Night/Weds Morning, with snow for the tallest peaks.

Well, I bought a simple, cheap rain gage and mounted it on my mailbox this weekend. It ended up reading 3.8", which I find hard to believe since radar estimates were generally 1.5"-2". A coworker who lives about 5 miles east of me ended up with just under 2". I'm glad that fall has arrived!

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:30 AM, cstrunk said:

Well, I bought a simple, cheap rain gage and mounted it on my mailbox this weekend. It ended up reading 3.8", which I find hard to believe since radar estimates were generally 1.5"-2". A coworker who lives about 5 miles east of me ended up with just under 2". I'm glad that fall has arrived!

Good to hear - whatever the exact measurement is it sounds like you got a good rain:thumbsup:.

Here in northern Colorado we can't buy a good rain now.  At my location northwest of Fort Collins we're currently at 70 days without any significant precip.  We seem to be too far north, too far south, too far east, or too far west to catch any storm that comes along.  We've run out of directions to miss storms from :wacko:

• Like 1

Hope all are enjoying the return of cool temps. I got down to 52 this morning.

We have the remnants of Sergio to bring us some more rain this weekend then a strong cold front for the beginning of next week.

Monday and Tuesday look downright chilly to even cold for most of the state with overrunning precip. A decent snowstorm is likely for the Panhandle with mixed precip SE from there a ways. Highs in the 40s for most of TX Mon and Tue. N TX likely won't see 60 until late week at best. This is all thanks to the -EPO dumping Canadian cold air and a Baja low pumping in Pacific moisture.

I wonder what everyone is thinking about the severe weather potential tomorrow in Texas?  Currently SPC has a slight risk in place for an area roughly bounded by Fort Worth to the NE, Killeen to the SE, and Abilene to the W.

Multiple NAM and NAM3K runs are getting some pretty high EHI values into parts of the north-central Texas region, though SPC is calling the NAM overdone.  Just waiting for what the 18z HRRR run has to say, though; that said, the 12z HRRR run does keep the surface-based instability south of the DFW Metroplex by about 2 counties or so.

Next week will feature a pattern that will likely be typical of the next 5 months. We will see cold, surface air flowing down the Plains with a noisy subtropical jet over top of the cold. This early in the season the wintery precip will likely be confined to NW TX but maybe some sleet mixes in Monday into N TX. Highs in N TX will likely be near 40 for N TX Monday and not much warmer for Tuesday before it slowly warms up through the rest of the week.

1 hour ago, aggiegeog said:

Next week will feature a pattern that will likely be typical of the next 5 months. We will see cold, surface air flowing down the Plains with a noisy subtropical jet over top of the cold. This early in the season the wintery precip will likely be confined to NW TX but maybe some sleet mixes in Monday into N TX. Highs in N TX will likely be near 40 for N TX Monday and not much warmer for Tuesday before it slowly warms up through the rest of the week.

Sounds like a fun winter with great potential down the road!