• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 8

wxmx

Missed out on all the storms late last week and over the weekend. Small chances throughout this week, but I'm keeping an eye on the tropics, hopefully this next system can stay far enough west to give Texas some good widespread rain next weekend/week. 

Seems like I've had about 1" of rain total over the last couple of months. The tropical low is finally making its way towards Texas, and will help provide increased rain chances this week. WPC says 1.5" or so for this week... I'd be happy with 0.5" at this point.

On 6/18/2018 at 8:47 AM, cstrunk said:

Seems like I've had about 1" of rain total over the last couple of months. The tropical low is finally making its way towards Texas, and will help provide increased rain chances this week. WPC says 1.5" or so for this week... I'd be happy with 0.5" at this point.

Well, I guess something is better than nothing, but this has been very disappointing with such a tropical airmass in place. I keep consistently missing out on heavier showers/thunderstorms IMBY. Today was pegged as "the day" for rainfall and I may have received 0.20", tops. Maybe I'll get lucky and there'll be a rogue overnight storm with the weak frontal passage.

A TUTT is moving west along the gulf coast, which is expected to provide increased rain chances over the next week. WPC currently has my location at about 1-1.25" over the next 7 days, with 4-5" possible farther south over the LA/TX coastal areas. Crossing my fingers.

Moderate to occasionally heavy downpours have been frequent across the area for the past week or so. Well, frequent everywhere but IMBY, as they're still too scattered in nature. Just can't catch a break.

NWS Shreveport mentions a NW-flow pattern setting up by mid-week next week that may bring some organized convection into the region overnight into early morning hours. I sure hope that pans out better than the spitting match mother nature is currently competing in around here.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/2/2018 at 12:38 AM, raindancewx said:

We've been getting rains here almost every day since late July. Pretty wonderful honestly.

This is my very early idea for winter -

DjjiWa2V4AAmkul.jpg:large

Nice post and matches my general thoughts for the winter. For my area (E TX) I expect a cool winter with many frost and freezes but likely not a lot of hard freezes. I do not foresee the extreme cold like we saw last winter (6 degrees), but many more freezes overall. We also are very likely to see above normal precip. Should be a good winter, but likely nothing historic. I will call for 3-5" of snow this season here and 4-6" for DFW.

On 8/11/2018 at 12:02 PM, cstrunk said:

We only have ended up with sprinkles the last couple of days, but finally managed to get about 0.5" or so with a nice shield of rain showers/embedded thunderstorms this morning. 

Maybe I can get greedy with another round this evening... We'll see!

I ended up with around 0.75" over the weekend. Picked up a little more on Sunday, we definitely needed it.

One of these days I'm going to invest in a personal weather station...

• 2 weeks later...