Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

15 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

87/79/100 here.  Dew hit 80 earlier, and probably will again before afternoon is over.  I've about had it with the near and above 80 degree dews.  

I don't know this for sure but I would think that the overall dewpoint trend has increased in the corn belt region in recent decades, especially in summer months.  More muggy but reduces the potential for massive heat, so take your pick.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I don't know this for sure but I would think that the overall dewpoint trend has increased in the corn belt region in recent decades, especially in summer months.  More muggy but reduces the potential for massive heat, so take your pick.

Yeah I'm willing to bet that's pretty true.  Makes you wonder how intense the 2012 heat waves would have been if we didn't have the hybrid corn/beans in place like say back in the 30s.  Who knows, some of the 104-105 readings may have been pushing 110 like they did back then without all the hybrid crap.  Sure the crops had dried up quite a bit in many areas, but there was probably a lot more water vapor going into the atmosphere compared to how it would have been before the hybrid corn/beans, when everything would have been like a tinder box.  

Makes you wonder if that MCS the other night would have made it as far southwest as it did without the widespread 78-81 degree dews feeding into it. 

11 hours ago, Powerball said:

BTW, with the potential of 6 consecutive 90*F+ days (through Monday) and 3 consecutive 95*F+ days (yesterday, today and Sunday), this also has potential to be the most extensive heatwave Detroit has seen since July 2011. 

This will be the first heatwave a DTW since 2013 (again..heatwave is technically 5 consecutive 90+ or 3 consecutive 95+)....and that 2013 was unique in that it was a torrid, unbearably humid heatwave however it was basically all she wrote in an otherwise cool summer (the next 2 summers void of much heat at all, especially 2014). A historic winter followed by a pleasant summer of no heat and humidity....if I could only bottle that year up! From a comfort perspective the 5-day July 2013 heatwave was worse than the present one.

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

This will be the first heatwave a DTW since 2013 (again..heatwave is technically 5 consecutive 90+ or 3 consecutive 95+)....and that 2013 was unique in that it was a torrid, unbearably humid heatwave however it was basically all she wrote in an otherwise cool summer (the next 2 summers void of much heat at all, especially 2014). A historic winter followed by a pleasant summer of no heat and humidity....if I could only bottle that year up! From a comfort perspective the 5-day July 2013 heatwave was worse than the present one.

Much drier airmass in Detroit right now than areas farther west.  I'd trade ya. 

Noticed that MET guidance is popping a 97 tomorrow for ORD.  As has been the case, temps will depend on convection/cloud debris but tomorrow is progged to have a stronger low level gradient and somewhat warmer temps aloft, so the potential is there to exceed the relatively tame max temps observed so far in this stretch.

Boy, three straight days with a dewpoint in the low 80s over here.  I was out mowing last hour with 88/81 air and dead calm wind.  That's hard to take.

I wasn't expecting any storms this afternoon as I'm in the capped region.  They just missed me to the north.  The "cool" front associated with the storms just moved through and dropped me to 76/71... downright refreshing.

29 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Boy, three straight days with a dewpoint in the low 80s over here.  I was out mowing last hour with 88/81 air and dead calm wind.  That's hard to take.

I wasn't expecting any storms this afternoon as I'm in the capped region.  They just missed me to the north.  The "cool" front associated with the storms just moved through and dropped me to 76/71... downright refreshing.

Dewpoint at CID also briefly reached 80F on the 20th, making this the 4th day in a row.  Did a quick check of archives and I think this is the first time there have been 4 consecutive days of dewpoints AOA 80F at CID.

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

That heatwave in 2013 may have been more humid, but what makes this one more "oppressive" IMO is:

1. We appear to be looking at 3 consecutive days of 95*F+ heat (we only had one in 2013).

2. That was really the only 'bout of heat we had all that Summer. The rest of the Summer was fairly cold / rainy, pretty much the complete opposite of 2016 which has been consistently sunny / dry / warm. 

I really can't see myself giving this Summer less than a B-. The only thing that pisses me off is that we've now seen 4 consecutive severe weather seasons that have sucked. It remains to be seen if August delivers, but that's like hoping for March to make up for an awful DJF in the winter. 

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

DTW made it to 97*F today, 1 degree shy of the record of 98*F set in 2012.

Actually, it looks like we rallied and tied it at 98°F . A nice way to end that streak without 3 consecutive days above 90. With any luck, we could go for 5.

1 hour ago, IthielZ said:

Actually, it looks like we rallied and tied it at 98°F . A nice way to end that streak without 3 consecutive days above 90. With any luck, we could go for 5.

Yep 6 hour temp was 36.7c or 98. Incredible that we almost hit 100.

Archived