• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

GFS is showing pretty extreme instability on Friday (even cutting it in half would still be impressive). 

Sneakily, it could be Detroit's best shot for severe weather this season if there''s a shortwave that also passes through (similar to July 4th-5th, 2012)

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Can't wait until we're within RAP's range.  Will probably show a huge swath of 110+ all over the MW lol.

HRRR too.  They will look apocalyptic. I still have some of those crazy model images from 2012.

Yankton, South Dakota extended forecast. Listed are highs and lows, that is, NWS point forecast. Average high/low is 87/62. Thursday should be 15 degrees above average (including high and low) and could be quite dangerous to the elderly. The NAM has 105/72/116 there on Thursday. Yuck.

Tue 92/72

Wed 100/76

Thu 102/77

Fri 98/75

Sat 90/72

Since the official observation site for Chicago moved to O'Hare in 1980, there have been 13 days in which the heat index was above 110F with an air temperature of at least 95F.  I set a temperature criteria to make it a little easier to seek out the extreme heat index days, so I know I am likely going to be missing some sub-95 degree days in which the heat index exceeded 110F, but I would imagine there aren't a lot of those.  The high heat index days are listed below, along with the temperature/dewpoint combination that produced them.

Certainly have a shot to reach the 95+ degree / >110F heat index threshold later this week.

7/22/1983:  118F (100/78)

7/13/1995:  118F (100/78)

7/14/1995:  116F (98/78)

7/7/1980:  114F (101/75)

7/21/1983:  114F (96/79)

7/26/1997:  114F (96/79)

7/30/1999:  114F (98/77)

7/29/1999:  113F (95/79)

7/15/1988:  112F (99/75)

7/20/1980:  111F (100/73)

7/19/1989:  111F (95/78)

8/12/1995:  111F (98/75)

6/28/2012:  111F (99/74)

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I hope so, some places still need a lot around here.

Better signal looks to be farther west at this point.  Hopefully whatever happens doesn't turn into some derecho.  Last thing anybody needs is to be without power during the heat wave.

5 hours ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Please take it all. Some areas around here saw 5-6" yesterday, we can't take any more lol. While other places not far away are quite dry. The famous haves and the have nots pattern we see every summer

I just saw an example of this yesterday. I was in New Haven, IN (an east side Ft. Wayne suburb) and the grass is dry and crunchy. It looks like they are in a raging drought. Meanwhile, on the southwest side of Ft. Wayne about 8 miles away, the grass is much greener, with only a few brown spots. Here in Huntington, less than 25 miles away, I am having to mow every 5 days.

Really looking like the persistent NW flow aloft and favorable ridge position should continue the MCS parade across the midwest. Might even be starting to see some positive feedback effects from high local surface moisture within the favored corridor (S. MN, IA, into NC IL). Tues/Wednesday and again Friday look to bring another 3+ rounds to these areas.

Excessive heat warning and flash flood watch. Should be a fun few days. Heat indices should hit or exceed 110 with dew points approaching close to 80 tomorrow and Thursday. Pwats tonight jump over 2". Several of the models show 5-7" rain corridors in S MN. Will be a tropical paradise with this rain and then the heat. Holy humidity. 

32 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd blend or only go about 30% GFS as it still looks like it's up to its usual trick of having problems handling low level mixing.  My opinion.

That and it is the most aggressive with festering convection over S WI/MI and N IL.

10 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

CMC for 18z Friday with a raging complex well west over the favored corridor in IA, temps only in the 80s across Chicago

we've watch this kind of convective spoiler play out a lot lately, not sure why it's being so strongly discounted

Digging deep with the Canadian handling any sort of convection correctly.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

If you look at the NAM/GFS, you can see a subtle wave moving through Iowa on Friday.  Whether this would be enough to trigger a meaningful area of convection is highly questionable though given warm mid level temps/capping.

It won't with those temperatures unless Iowa gets to like 100/80.

Archived