SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interestingly just had a completely random reddish war of the worlds pop of lightning just now. Had some lingering hiccup flashes around here and there that cleared out half hour ago. Apparently the energy is still trying to fight through

Still in suburbs just east of downtown. About an hour ago after the storm went through, I took a walk to a grocery store to get a 24pk and had it rip on me twice and full open on the way back taking a ally shortcut. 

Figured after the storm went through, the climo would clam down and it did but it was still moist enough and noticeable sweat producer.

August can definitely be a good producer, and hopefully this isn't one of the last true summer days we have. Unbearable or not. This is the best thing and love about the climo. Summer days are real summer days, winter as well. 

2 hours ago, janetjanet998 said:

2.21 PW on this evenings sounding anyone know ILX record offhand?

Strictly speaking, the record for ILX is 2.46" on 9/1/2012.  If you include the predecessor sites in central IL (PIA and RAN) the record is 2.66" on 7/8/1949. 

5 hours ago, csnavywx said:

Spectacular 3 hour long lightning show down here so far and it's still going. We had one set of storms push through, and another round is passing by. Incredible amount of instability to release here today. I've seen every kind of lightning there is to see.

Experienced the same just east of Chicago in suburbs. Saw quality duration of rambling and flashing with, step back observant quality ctg's.

If anything was notable, it was the cut throat 80° dewpoint  90° environment. That'll let you know your in summer

5 hours ago, Castaway said:

Experienced the same just east of Chicago in suburbs. Saw quality duration of rambling and flashing with, step back observant quality ctg's.

If anything was notable, it was the cut throat 80° dewpoint  90° environment. That'll let you know your in summer

Yeah, it was still warm and soupy after the first wave. We got yet another wave at about 3 am last night with more great lightning. Once it started at about 10 pm, the show didn't stop until about 4 am. Longest and best light show I've seen in years. It's raining and thundering again as I type. Always love these "heatwave breakers" -- they are almost always vigorous.

Pretty impressive "heat wave" in retrospect, especially in terms of dewpoints/heat index values. While actual temps may have underperformed a bit around here, the oppressive air stuck around longer than originally anticipated. Yesterday was my daughter's 1st birthday party, and we held much of it outside. I hadn't felt that kind of combo of heat and humidity in a few years. It was exhausting stuff. Several rounds of very heavy rain between Saturday and Sunday brought some welcomed rain. Any drought or dryness concerns are now gone.

CLE is currently sitting at 5th warmest July on record with just 5 days left in the month. It's certainly been hot here, just didn't realize how this stacked up to other months. I think what will bring temps down later this week and take us potentially away from record territory are the overnight lows. With moderate drought conditions present its much easier to cool off at night. 

33 minutes ago, Trent said:

CLE is currently sitting at 5th warmest July on record with just 5 days left in the month. It's certainly been hot here, just didn't realize how this stacked up to other months. I think what will bring temps down later this week and take us potentially away from record territory are the overnight lows. With moderate drought conditions present its much easier to cool off at night. 

Pretty impressive warmth.

21 hours ago, Trent said:

While not 2011 / 2012 extreme, if July 2016 were to end today, it would tie for the 8th warmest on record for DTW (warmer than 2010).

a good setup for localized flash flooding is in place over far southern wisconsin into much of illinois today, with steering flow ~10kt, substantial low level moisture under a slow-moving upper trough and localized convergence provided by a weak cold front, outflow boundaries and a lake breeze boundary. with the instability axis where it is, the best chance for training may be from JVL/RFD to the western and southern Chicago burbs. with time the activity should re-form on outflow boundaries while generally developing slowly to the east-southeast. wouldn't be surprised to see a 4+" total somewhere in the region today.

2 hours ago, purduewx80 said:

a good setup for localized flash flooding is in place over far southern wisconsin into much of illinois today, with steering flow ~10kt, substantial low level moisture under a slow-moving upper trough and localized convergence provided by a weak cold front, outflow boundaries and a lake breeze boundary. with the instability axis where it is, the best chance for training may be from JVL/RFD to the western and southern Chicago burbs. with time the activity should re-form on outflow boundaries while generally developing slowly to the east-southeast. wouldn't be surprised to see a 4+" total somewhere in the region today.

Yeah, already taking place over parts of the area. Some funnel clouds/brief spinups are possible too. 

July 1-28 temperature percentiles relative to normal. Even though some high heat indices hit the upper Midwest, some of the other areas such as New Mexico, Pueblo CO, Cleveland, Detroit, Texas, and the Southeast were the most consistently above normal, compared to the average and standard deviation.

YnbWX5g.jpg

Archived