• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

next MCS is probably in its beginning stages east of the twin cities. should ride the old outflow se/sse this evening. the effective front may not make it back north of chicago until the weekend. 

given how high dews already are, how they will tend to pool along the warm side of the outflow boundary, and the wetness of the past few weeks over the corn belt, think it's possible we see some legit mid-80s dews show up this evening.

Seems like your thoughts are on track per latest latest radar trends up in western Wisconsin.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, A-L-E-K said:

can't believe it has been that long

Been even longer at ORD.  Have to go back to July 30, 1999 (they've had several 79 since then too).  More difficult to pull off the 80 degree dews in highly urbanized settings for obvious reasons.

I thought this setup might have a shot to do it at ORD but it's very problematic with convection/outflow concerns. 

Just curious for Alek and Chi Storm, why are you guys saying tomorrow has no chance of tomorrow being very hot? I don't see anything that would suggest tomorrow not being hotter than today, especially if the convection goes through this evening vs late night.

Drought monitor update: The entire Lake Erie and Lake Ontario shorelines (of the U.S.) are in drought, D1 classification near most of Lake Erie. Buffalo is in D2 drought, which has been mentioned already. This is actually in the Drought Monitor discussion: " Drought conditions improved in Iowa, but expanded in Ohio. It was reported by a farmer near Toledo that the lack of rain has slowed crop growth and he has relied on his pond for irrigation, but the pond’s water level was dropping rapidly. "

Just curious for Alek and Chi Storm, why are you guys saying tomorrow has no chance of tomorrow being very hot? I don't see anything that would suggest tomorrow not being hotter than today, especially if the convection goes through this evening vs late night.

Continued storm chances and debris will be an issue. 95+ won't happen.

I have almost no confidence in the details for tomorrow around here.  It does look like whatever happens later this evening/tonight will move out pretty quickly, leaving the early part of the day dry.  Redevelopment tomorrow looks likely but whether it's at noon or 3 pm will make a difference in terms of heat potential.

6 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Continued storm chances and debris will be an issue. 95+ won't happen.

Debris from what? The storms are going to come through this evening... I mean I can buy the storm chances late in the day as Chicago approaches convective temp but there really isn't much of a trigger tomorrow and there will be strong capping involved as well.

I'm back, after a few days in the hospital (bowels issue) :( .  I'm still a bit weak, so being outside in this extreme heat drains me very quickly.  This afternoon the heat index here in the city has been in the upper 110s.  I think that's the highest since 1995.  In 2012 the temp was 10 degrees higher, but the dewpoint was 25 degrees lower.  This kind of sauna heat is way worse.

that system already has an mcv with it, so it should be self-maintaining through late evening. with the outflow boundary now quickly retreating, it looks to be back in chicagoland if not north and east as the system rides almost due south. have to wonder if we'll see a warm advective wing light up this evening with a modest uptick in the low level jet oriented nearly perpendicular to the old boundary. if it does light up, then there will be some slower moving cells capable of flooding rain and perhaps brief tornadoes.

Archived