• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

12z Euro actually has that Thursday night complex moving southwest around the ridge, and then it turns almost due west as it moves across IN/IL and into IA.  I've seen something like that before but not to that extent.  Would be pretty cool to actually see that take place.

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friday is definitely becoming a bit muddled compared to earlier, whether it's this hard turning system that the Euro has or other convective potential.  Wonder if we will start to see some of this uncertainty addressed in the afternoon discussions.

ILX extended the excessive heat watch into Saturday and apparently they aren't buying the ECMWF

THE ECMWF EVEN   RETROGRADES SOME STORMS INTO NORTHERN IL ON FRIDAY, PROGRESSING THEM   FROM THE NORTHEAST TOWARD OUR NORTHERN COUNTIES. A CAPPING   INVERSION SHOULD HELP TO KEEP OUR AREA FREE FROM STORMS ON FRIDAY.   SATURDAY HAS INCREASED CONVECTION INDICATED ACROSS MOST OF IL IN   BOTH THE GFS AND ECMWF, BUT WE STILL EXPECT VERY WARM 700MB TEMPS   TO SUPPRESS CONVECTION FOR MOST OF THE DAY.  

3 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

CMC for 18z Friday with a raging complex well west over the favored corridor in IA, temps only in the 80s across Chicago

we've watch this kind of convective spoiler play out a lot lately, not sure why it's being so strongly discounted

Very true, especially with the center of the ridge being well to our SW and the steering flow overhead supporting SE propagating convection.

that long-lived cell in northeast ND has the potential to grow upscale this evening with low level jet support. should ride the instability axis or possibly gradient into minnesota. some guidance indicates a warm advective wing that could easily produce flash flooding across the state into western wisconsin, eastern iowa and northwest il overnight into wednesday morning.

5 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

that long-lived cell in northeast ND has the potential to grow upscale this evening with low level jet support. should ride the instability axis or possibly gradient into minnesota. some guidance indicates a warm advective wing that could easily produce flash flooding across the state into western wisconsin, eastern iowa and northwest il overnight into wednesday morning.

That thing is in full beast mode.  

A michsnowfreak special happened at ORD today. Intrahour high of 91 with the highest hourly temp of 88.

The forecasters on shift did check the 1 minute obs that hour but I'm still a bit suspicious considering that it was 3 degrees warmer than MDW, which is rare, and the only 90+ ASOS/AWOS in the CWA today. We'll keep an eye on it the next few days.

20 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

The forecasters on shift did check the 1 minute obs that hour but I'm still a bit suspicious considering that it was 3 degrees warmer than MDW, which is rare, and the only 90+ ASOS/AWOS in the CWA today. We'll keep an eye on it the next few days.

Never a good time for an ASOS to act up but ORD going wild during a potentially significant heat wave would suck.

Looks like the 00z NAM is relatively convection free in northern IL most of Friday and continues to suggest near 100F potential for Chicago with 925 mb temps approaching 30C.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

A michsnowfreak special happened at ORD today. Intrahour high of 91 with the highest hourly temp of 88.

That is a common occurrence at DTW. Does it happen every day? No. But to me more than a 2F intrahour bump seems odd for most cases. Ive beaten the dead horse, but I stick by the mantra that it makes no sense, especially when the nearest stations do not see these intrahour bumps at the times listed, or when they occur at times not typical of peak daytime heating. Didnt you find a website where you can see 5-minute obs? Low temps are usually the lowest hourly temp, sometimes a 1F intrahour bump down, and rarely a 2F bump down. Dont think Ive ever seen a 3F+ intrahour low. On the contrary, seeing a 2F intrahour high is extremely common, a 3F intrahour high is quite common, and I have even seen a rare 4-5F intrahour high. The ridiculousness that is ARB lows and YIP highs is one thing, but Im not a fan of this happening at first order DTW. Stebo has explained the thermometer has been in the same place for decades, as well as the fact that its monitored for calibration errors, yet it still is quite the mystery to me. Not only the fact that it doesnt happen at nearby stations, but the frequent more-than-2F intrahour highs seem to be a trend new to the last few years.

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

That is a common occurrence at DTW. Does it happen every day? No. But to me more than a 2F intrahour bump seems odd for most cases. Ive beaten the dead horse, but I stick by the mantra that it makes no sense, especially when the nearest stations do not see these intrahour bumps at the times listed, or when they occur at times not typical of peak daytime heating. Didnt you find a website where you can see 5-minute obs? Low temps are usually the lowest hourly temp, sometimes a 1F intrahour bump down, and rarely a 2F bump down. Dont think Ive ever seen a 3F+ intrahour low. On the contrary, seeing a 2F intrahour high is extremely common, a 3F intrahour high is quite common, and I have even seen a rare 4-5F intrahour high. The ridiculousness that is ARB lows and YIP highs is one thing, but Im not a fan of this happening at first order DTW. Stebo has explained the thermometer has been in the same place for decades, as well as the fact that its monitored for calibration errors, yet it still is quite the mystery to me. Not only the fact that it doesnt happen at nearby stations, but the frequent more-than-2F intrahour highs seem to be a trend new to the last few years.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/mesomap.cgi?state=IL&rawsflag=3

4 minutes ago, RyanDe680 said:

Even a 96/80 scenario would be rare. We'll be cutting the air with a knife on Friday.  

This is a "heat index" heat wave more than one with super impressive max temps.  

NAM has a max heat index of about 112F for ORD.   One of the things that was found in Chicago's 1995 heat wave is that the effects (death toll) accelerated as time went on, as heat has a cumulative effect on the body.  Really one of the great weather tragedies of the 20th century and it was a tough lesson to have to learn.  The high moisture content airmass/UHI should keep nighttime temps pretty high around the city.  Of course convection could alter the scenario.

Seeing some of the heat indices forecast sent me looking back at that amazing '95 heatwave.  Still the hottest heat index I've ever experienced at 122.  Was living in the QC at the time.  MLI had 100/80/122 at 5pm on 7/13/95.  Temp dropped back a few degrees after that, but the dew ended up spiking at 82.  That's insane for such intense heat.  Had 6 consecutive hours AOA 80 dew.

From MLI that day...

1zx8adz.png

Archived