SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a couple of the 88 pics I took of the Huntington tornadoes between last night and today (first one is of me in action lol):

Keep up the good work in emergency management and thanks for the photos.  Glad it didn't hit the city proper.

Thanks. Me too. The EF 2 packed a punch. It would have been ugly in a more populated area. There might actually be a third touchdown. NWS contacted me today about a report of extreme tree damage in a secluded area that is upstream from the confirmed touchdowns and asked me to investigate. Going out in the morning. Radar did show rotation over the area in question.

I think you are missing your photos Indy.

He was quoting me from the photos I posted on the previous page.

Thanks. Me too. The EF 2 packed a punch. It would have been ugly in a more populated area. There might actually be a third touchdown. NWS contacted me today about a report of extreme tree damage in a secluded area that is upstream from the confirmed touchdowns and asked me to investigate. Going out in the morning. Radar did show rotation over the area in question.

Whoops :lol:

By the way that was some nasty damage there in those pictures.

Amazing how much wind damage we have. Miles of utility poles pushed over 10 - 15 degrees. A friend from work says it will be Sunday before power is restored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't realize that you had damage down your way Jim.

No third touchdown. What I saw appears to be RFD wind damage.

What kind of winds would you estimate?

I would say 85-90 MPH. Several medium/large healthy trees snapped off at the base, while others were just topped, including many pines. Obviously, other pines were uprooted.

After describing the wind damage to Todd at NWS, the wind estimates are closer to 95-100 MPH. Pretty impressive. He is also estimating that the Brookston/Battle Ground area had widespread straight line winds of 100-105 MPH.

I didn't realize that you had damage down your way Jim.

Nasty down this way as well. I probably got hit by 70ish mph winds while out in it. Part of RT 13 was closed until Sunday while they reset poles. One neighborhood in Anderson all of the trees above 30' were gone. Looked like a bomb air burst. Was very creepy to see at 3am going out and doing DA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even though there weren't any major tornadoes it was still an impressive event by the numbers.

I suspect that a few of the tornadoes based off damage we did survey (I was on one of the survey teams), radar signature and chaser video could have been EF-2, but they just didn't hit enough. The suspicious ones are West Brooklyn and northwest of Sheridan. But yeah, very impressive tornado count will make this notable despite lack of any EF-3+ tornadoes. We've been discussing internally the possible reasons why it was a prolific event but no major tornadoes. The HP nature likely forced quick cycles, and wonder if mergers and interference played a role. But this doesn't fully explain why one of the tornadoes didn't produce a tornado like the Coal City tornado last year. Was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this.

I suspect that a few of the tornadoes based off damage we did survey (I was on one of the survey teams), radar signature and chaser video could have been EF-2, but they just didn't hit enough. The suspicious ones are West Brooklyn and northwest of Sheridan. But yeah, very impressive tornado count will make this notable despite lack of any EF-3+ tornadoes. We've been discussing internally the possible reasons why it was a prolific event but no major tornadoes. The HP nature likely forced quick cycles, and wonder if mergers and interference played a role. But this doesn't fully explain why one of the tornadoes didn't produce a tornado like the Coal City tornado last year. Was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts on this.

I'd imagine that the upscale growth occurring soon limited the high end potential. That one circulation on the eastern end would have produced in a major way if the line didn't grow quickly and the storm wasn't rained into. That circulation was very impressive considering the circumstances.

I'd imagine that the upscale growth occurring soon limited the high end potential. That one circulation on the eastern end would have produced in a major way if the line didn't grow quickly and the storm wasn't rained into. That circulation was very impressive considering the circumstances.

Storm mode did stay mainly supercellular, so it wasn't necessarily the upscale growth SPC was expecting, but the amount of cells that went at once likely did play a role. Was thinking the same thing about the first supercell that produced in Lee and then northern LaSalle. Extrapolating its motion from that area would've taken it somewhere near the Joliet area, which is heavily populated. Once again, we got lucky that the frontal zone didn't set up a bit farther northeast.

Storm mode did stay mainly supercellular, so it wasn't necessarily the upscale growth SPC was expecting, but the amount of cells that went at once likely did play a role. Was thinking the same thing about the first supercell that produced in Lee and then northern LaSalle. Extrapolating its motion from that area would've taken it somewhere near the Joliet area, which is heavily populated. Once again, we got lucky that the frontal zone didn't set up a bit farther northeast.

Yeah too many cells fighting each other, raining into updrafts and so forth. That is what kept this event from being much much more prolific. That cell that was heading toward Joliet would have been an unmitigated disaster had it been more discrete. 

I was most surprised by the lack of large hail reports from that evening.  DVN sounding showed the freezing level at 15kft.  With tops pushing 55kft you wouldn't think freezing level height would make as much of a difference.  From what I remember mid-level lapse rates weren't exactly awful either.  Someone with more met knowledge I'm sure can chime in with some answers.

I'm glad the large sups weren't prolific hail producers, as we would have been in a bad location had they been.  

30ngqit.png

I was most surprised by the lack of large hail reports from that evening. DVN sounding showed the freezing level at 15kft. With tops pushing 55kft you wouldn't think freezing level height would make as much of a difference. From what I remember mid-level lapse rates weren't exactly awful either. Someone with more met knowledge I'm sure can chime in with some answers.

I'm glad the large sups weren't prolific hail producers, as we would have been in a bad location had they been.

30ngqit.png

I agree. Really surprised by the lack of reports.

Archived