Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the worst might slide ne of me here at Fortville.  Ya never know.  Great light show though.

It may.  I downloaded the radar from COD.  I'm pretty sure that was the same cell that was up in the Earleville IL. area earlier this evening.  Crazy how it just puked itself SE when it was just N of LAF.  It was like it just collapsed and became a downdraft dominated airmass concentrated in a small area but the downdraft was consuming the outflow for a bit really agitating the atmosphere.  Might have been why the lightning was so intense.  You can see on the radar when it bowed it took everything around it with it leaving a gaping hole in the line.  Seen MCS's bow out but that was so concentrated and in such a small segment, pretty amazing to me.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  

TORNADO WARNING  

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  

208 AM EDT THU JUN 23 2016  

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A  

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...  

NORTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...  

* UNTIL 245 AM EDT  

* AT 208 AM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A  

TORNADO WAS LOCATED 10 MILES NORTH OF CRAWFORDSVILLE...MOVING EAST  

AT 40 MPH.  

HAZARD...TORNADO AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.  

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION.  

IMPACT...FLYING DEBRIS WILL BE DANGEROUS TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT  

SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES WILL BE DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.  

DAMAGE TO ROOFS...WINDOWS...AND VEHICLES WILL OCCUR. TREE  

DAMAGE IS LIKELY.  

* THIS DANGEROUS STORM WILL BE NEAR...  

DARLINGTON AROUND 220 AM EDT.  

There's an unwarned TDS southeast of Huntington, IN.

They issued the warning at the same time it was happening. I was manning our EOC and when I saw the signature, I bolted to the area (only about 5 miles) and got there just minutes after it hit. Early indications appear to be a large downburst with an embedded tornado. I'll be meeting IWX later this morning for a survey. To my untrained eye it looks like EF-1 damage except for one structure, which may have EF-2 damage. I'll let the pros decide.

Wasn't expecting much here in the city but i was still surprised how little wind the warned cell right into the city had...looking at reports, high wind / hail reports in general were pretty scarce outside the tornados in the far southwest CWA. 

Was this just a matter of too little surface heating and elevated storms that couldn't mix down better gusts? 

prelimlsrs.png

Wasn't expecting much here in the city but i was still surprised how little wind the warned cell right into the city had...looking at reports, high wind / hail reports in general were pretty scarce outside the tornados in the far southwest CWA.

Was this just a matter of too little surface heating and elevated storms that couldn't mix down better gusts?

prelimlsrs.png

Absolutely figured we would have some nice hail reports, and haven't seen much of any. Impressive number of tor reports in a relatively small area

Archived