SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
6/19-6/23 Severe Weather Risk

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice little backyard chase.  Got on the sup that would go on to produce the La Moille tornado early.  Watched it go from a little rain shower, to a powerful supercell in short time.  Came close to producing not long after it started turning right.  Followed that one for awhile, and then went after the sup coming up behind it.  That one looked like crap when I got to it, but over time it got it's act together and went on to produce a few tornadoes.  Didn't do a very good job documenting things, but manage to get a quick grab of the tail end of the Manlius tornado.  Also managed to stay out of the hail, so that was a plus.

j6id5v.jpg

2w5p1fb.jpg

2nvt375.jpg

Time lapse of the developing sup that would go on to produce several tors.  In the beginning of this vid it's little more than a heavy shower, and by the end of it it's getting it's **** together fast.  (Vid looks best at full screen.)

LOT is just not getting timely communication coordination tonight from emergency management, spotters, fire and police, etc.    I would also have thought a tornado emergency would have been issued for Pontiac since a TOG was reported nw of there.

Hard to keep all these offices straight but I don't think LOT uses the "tornado emergency" wording.  At least I don't recall seeing it before.

Hard to keep all these offices straight but I don't think LOT uses the "tornado emergency" wording.  At least I don't recall seeing it before.

The tornado emergency wording is now tied to the damage tag of 'catastrophic' in the bottom warning tags. There are four levels of tornado warnings now. Radar indicated, observed/confirmed, confirmed with considerable damage tag, and confirmed with catastrophic damage tag. The tornado emergency wording is automatically added with the catastrophic damage tag. 

The tornado emergency wording is now tied to the damage tag of 'catastrophic' in the bottom warning tags. There are four levels of tornado warnings now. Radar indicated, observed/confirmed, confirmed with considerable damage tag, and confirmed with catastrophic damage tag. The tornado emergency wording is automatically added with the catastrophic damage tag. 

Thanks.  I don't remember them using the emergency wording before the change though, but I don't think most offices did.  Was just a matter of preference. 

I didn't think I'd have to be worried about tornadic cells overnight, instead focusing on the derecho. But these storms are still semi discrete even though they have high straight line winds,.

Yeah I am very concerned that LAF to IND is going to get crushed with that bow racing down 65. Warning out for 80 mph currently.

boom shakalaka

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED  SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING  NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  1226 AM EDT THU JUN 23 2016    THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN INDIANAPOLIS HAS ISSUED A    * SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...    SOUTHERN CARROLL COUNTY IN NORTH CENTRAL INDIANA...    SOUTHWESTERN TIPTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...    CLINTON COUNTY IN CENTRAL INDIANA...    SOUTHEASTERN TIPPECANOE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL INDIANA...    * UNTIL 100 AM EDT    * AT 1226 AM EDT...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WAS LOCATED 8 MILES EAST OF    LAFAYETTE...MOVING SOUTHEAST AT 65 MPH.      THIS IS A VERY DANGEROUS STORM.       HAZARD...100 MPH WIND GUSTS AND QUARTER SIZE HAIL.       SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED.       IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE-THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS              MAY BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE              HOMES WILL BE DESTROYED. EXPECT CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO              HOMES AND BUSINESSES. EXPECT EXTENSIVE TREE DAMAGE AND              POWER OUTAGES.     * LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...    LAFAYETTE...FRANKFORT...FLORA...ROSSVILLE...DAYTON...MULBERRY...    KIRKLIN...COLFAX...CLARKS HILL...BURLINGTON...    MICHIGANTOWN AND KEMPTON.  

Archived