• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Home Weather Stations

I have a Vantage Pro 2 (about 5 years old)  and it has experienced multiple failures this year and I am tired of constantly having to repair it.  I am ready to start fresh with something more reliable and I would appreciate your suggestions.

I am comfortable with the features and price point of the Vantage Pro 2, although it does seem a bit dated.  In other words, I want an advanced hobbyist unit in the $400-800 range.  Thanks,

Get a davis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The VP2 is a Davis.

I'm not sure what you'll find that is more advanced than a VP2 in that price range. Which sensors have you had to replace or need replacing?

5 years is a decent life for some of these sensors. Even ASOS has sensors crap the bed.

http://www.davisnet.com/solution/vantage-pro2-plus/

I upgraded to the Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus with 24/7 fan aspiration last autumn. Been working well and am pleased with the accuracy. Had a DVP2 wireless which worked very well for 8 whole years from 2007-2015. Then the anemometer readings ceased functioning.

The continuous fan maximizes temp/humidity accuracy. I notice the dew points are more accurate with the DVP2 plus. Was around 800 dollars I believe. Worth the investment if you're a weather enthusiast and good readings are important to you (I want it within tenths).

No comfort to the OP, but it seems to be that Davis is the best in the biz and the VP2 is the king for home enthusiasts.  I do agree that it could use some "hardening".  The lifetime for the aspiration fans is dismally short in my experience.  I had to replace my anemometer after ~3 years.  The tipping bucket and temperature/humidity sensor have been rock solid though.  On the software side, WeatherLink is miserable.  Cumulus is much more robust.

No comfort to the OP, but it seems to be that Davis is the best in the biz and the VP2 is the king for home enthusiasts.  I do agree that it could use some "hardening".  The lifetime for the aspiration fans is dismally short in my experience.  I had to replace my anemometer after ~3 years.  The tipping bucket and temperature/humidity sensor have been rock solid though.  On the software side, WeatherLink is miserable.  Cumulus is much more robust.

A year ago they were asking for user suggestions for a VP3 so it must be in the works. I'd assume the console and software will get a big upgrade. The new SHT31 temp/hum sensors are a big upgrade in accuracy with a much lower cost...a win-win.

I hard wired my FARS fan to a round, 92mm fan with much higher CFMs. I run it at 9V or 12V, depending on my mood (it's rated for 12V, but if we lose power it doesn't like to restart on its own at 12V, but it will at 9V). Anyways, the huge increase in airflow gives me much better response and accuracy during all times of the day.

I do think it's time for me to replace the anemometer. I've noticed a gradual decrease in my wind speed year to year over the last 10 years. I'd like to see them come out with a relatively affordable ultrasonic option. A weighing rain gauge would be nice too. There's a lot of weenies out there who are willing to pay a little extra for some higher end sensors without crossing into that Vaisala or Campbell Scientific threshold.

These sensors are outside 24/7 in some pretty harsh elements. I'd say they do a pretty good job of holding up. Davis has always been customer friendly as well. If something fails within a year they will replace it with no problem...sometimes even past a year. They offer a full station refurb for a little over $100 + shipping too. I think there's a lot more value with a $600-$800 VP2 + FARS than some of these lesser stations selling for a few hundred bucks. 

This is the fan I use. I know most with wireless stations don't want to wire up a fan to continuous DC power, but if you do I really recommend this one. It's been going strong for over a year now. It fits into the Davis FARS perfectly. I added a connector to the wire going to the adapter so that the fan can be unplugged and replaced easily in the winter, if need be.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-13c-002y-000j6

Ditto. 

This is the fan I use. I know most with wireless stations don't want to wire up a fan to continuous DC power, but if you do I really recommend this one. It's been going strong for over a year now. It fits into the Davis FARS perfectly. I added a connector to the wire going to the adapter so that the fan can be unplugged and replaced easily in the winter, if need be.

https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-13c-002y-000j6

Yeah, I wish it were more feasible for me to run a line out there.

Thanks for all the replies. So far this year I have replaced the reed switch on the tipping bucket, and the main board in the sensor.

I now have to replace the temp/humidity sensor and the remote anemometer transmitter capacitor.

The Weatherlink data module stops working at random times for no apparent reason.

Was hoping for a better answer than get another VP2 or keep replacing parts. Prolly will just buy the parts and move on.

If you want to go over $1k the Vaisala the WXT530 is an option.

http://www.vaisala.com/en/meteorology/products/weatherinstruments/multiweathersensors/Pages/WXT530.aspx

https://www.instrumart.com/products/43041/vaisala-wxt530-weather-transmitter

That is the low end of Vaisala products and really the closest they come to the amateur market. If you don't like the wind being with the temp and rain sensors you can get the separate versions (view the manual in that link). They have one that is just wind which you can mount at the recommended height and one for just temp, hum, rain, and pressure that you can mount at 1.5-2m. It looks like you have the ability to add some other sensors as well (solar, snow, another rain gauge).

I'm in the process of buying a home and would like to link it into the Internet for Wunderground, etc.  I'll get the VP2, so can I use the Cumulus software with it since it appears that's what folks here favor?

You'll need to buy the WeatherLink module anyway because it has the datalogger and port for USB out. You can chuck the software if you want but it has some nice tools in it to update the firmware for the station and reset the time etc. Cumulus though is by far the best software for it though once that is all set up.

BTW, I order all my VP2 things/parts from here. Best prices and great customer support in the past. (You have to create an account, but the savings on a whole station is $300+)

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

You'll need to buy the WeatherLink module anyway because it has the datalogger and port for USB out. You can chuck the software if you want but it has some nice tools in it to update the firmware for the station and reset the time etc. Cumulus though is by far the best software for it though once that is all set up.

BTW, I order all my VP2 things/parts from here. Best prices and great customer support in the past. (You have to create an account, but the savings on a whole station is $300+)

https://www.scaledinstruments.com/

Sweet thanks!  One of these days, I'm going all in and buying an AWOS and linking it in with the national network of stations.

My Davis Wireless VP 2 is over 10 years old, been through 2 out of state moves, and is still working fine. I had it refurbished once with the $100 deal through Davis, but really didn't need anything done. They replaced over one hundred dollars worth of stuff, solar panels, fan motor, and recalibrated the rain tipper. I would buy again in a heart beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived