• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
High End Severe Wx Possible Sat nite (6-11-16)

Damage In Tolland

I'm very skeptical of that happening. I think it could get into extreme western MA and extreme western CT but even with this those areas would have to be watched for isolated severe (including possibility of a supercell/tornado threat) given orientation of the warm front and storm motion along the front. If enough instability manages to push in, hodographs will be quite large given degree of shear (directional/speed). I'm not sure what the chances are but the chance is certainly enough to warrant a mention IMO.

(I can't stand typing on an iPhone...hopefully I corrected all the stupid mistakes)

Perhaps a Mitch special.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as SNE is concerned, This first disturbance approaching by lunch time will outrun the best instability and be elevated , I'm not expecting anything severe as it crosses our region between 11-2. After that, we will have to monitor the progress of the warm front and any convection that fires along it and how much if any sun and recovery in temps occurs. It would seem far W/SW areas have the best chance.

Ughh so confused. Thought we would see a boost in the outlook given the soundings last night in PA but no. I guess the simulated radar on the mesos could be a flag but hoping if we go to NE PA they will get into something...latest HRRr kept stuff SW of there

Who needs severe when you can have another day tomorrow with high winds and temps in the low 60's?   What a tremendous start to the met summer!

Shockingly, another severe threat for SNE down the tubes. Continued COC tomorrow--alhough the progged 40mph gusts will result in a lot of plates getting blown off the Chamber's picnic tables. Potato salad disaster.

Honestly I never really thought much of SNE was in he game...more PA/NY but not it looks more PA and SE NY...but the new 2% TOR only covers SE NY into MA and CT

Shockingly, another severe threat for SNE down the tubes.  Continued COC tomorrow--alhough the progged 40mph gusts will result in a lot of plates getting blown off the Chamber's picnic tables.  Potato salad disaster.

objectively ...it's not really that to be fair.  

not you per se ...but people need to actually intake all the information before aligning their expecation one way or the other.  SPC was pretty clear that the Slight region was lower confidence the whole lead up:

.LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION INTO NORTHEAST...

CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY STILL EXISTS CONCERNING SEVERE WEATHER

POTENTIAL. THE MAIN UPPER IMPULSE AND ASSOCIATED COLD FRONT APPEAR

LIKELY TO REMAIN WELL NORTH OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES REGION THROUGH

MUCH OF THE DAY. HOWEVER...A MORE SUBTLE IMPULSE MAY PROGRESS

SOUTHEAST OF THE LOWER GREAT LAKES...THROUGH NORTHERN MID ATLANTIC

AND SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND COASTAL AREAS...DURING THE DAY. THIS MAY

BE ACCOMPANIED BY EARLY DAY CLOUD COVER AND PRECIPITATION THAT COULD

LIMIT DESTABILIZATION.

Until such time when confidence one way or the other is established, ..the basic mechanics were/are in place, so they would have been remiss in their responsibilities if they did not account for that signal.

Whether it becomes clearer now that any perceived threat is less for the day at hand, if those uncertainties were taken to heart yesterday and so forth, ..there would be no "disappointment".   

Personally I still think that a corridor circa 30 or 40 miles SW of ALB to SW CT is still in the game.  I fore-see the warm boundary intruding briefly into this region with hybridized EML/pre-warm frontal lift, taking place over top modest insolation (and we don't need much) and SRH that is on the higher side.  We'll see how it falls out.  

Otherwise, agreed with Wiz' - this wasn't really an SNE look in my mind. I wasn't surprised they had us in Slight, but I knew it was more precautionary and lower in confidence just by looking at the synoptics of the thing.

Whatever the outcome during the rest of daylight hours Saturday, a significant severe storm threat is developing for southern New England late tonight into Sunday morning from the main cold front which is still back in northeast Ontario but accelerating southeast, looks to me like it's rapidly developing on radar and has a strong thermal gradient (about a 20-25 deg F temp drop associated), should be arriving in western New England around 0300-0500h as squall line or even derecho from upstate NY and eastern ON. After that, could hold together long enough to impact all of sNE around 0500-0800h. Whether storms along front or just a dry passage, very gusty winds likely (check the 500-mb gradient and thickness fall around 12z).

I think this feature is underpredicted on models and therefore in most forecasts. Expect gusts to 55 or 60 mph (and possibly higher if severe cells persist, I think the probability of them is 80% in upstate NY, 60% western New England.)

Archived