joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Highest CoCoRAHS I'm seeing in VT so far is Warren (near MRG/Sugarbush) with 2.59".

Added 0.03" overnight for a total of 1.94" here.

Pretty much everyone around here is 1.5-2.0" with a few spots like JSpin getting over 2".

Yeah, a similar addition of 0.02” here to bring the total to 2.08” for the event.  That certainly kick starts the month, but it’s consistent with the trend of June being the wettest time of the year at our site, averaging more than 7.5” of liquid in my records thus far.  May and July do appear to be supporting that peak as well, giving a bit more confidence that it really is the wettest period of the year in our area.

06JUN16A.jpg

Knowing how the month can go, I’ll probably try to get in a bit of mowing today to make use of the current fair weather window.

Yeah J.Spin we've had some ridiculous June's in recent years.  Last June was the wettest on record for Mount Mansfield and I remember it was quite wet in the mountain valleys too.

Wasn't it a couple years ago it rained like 18 of 20 days or something like that too?  It was either June or July.

Yeah J.Spin we've had some ridiculous June's in recent years.  Last June was the wettest on record for Mount Mansfield and I remember it was quite wet in the mountain valleys too.

Wasn't it a couple years ago it rained like 18 of 20 days or something like that too?  It was either June or July.

June 2013 I believe. It rained 44 out of 60 days in BTV between mid-may and early July.  It was the wettest May on record and the Second wettest June on record. I just about died. 

Also per the NWS:

"850mb temps 2-3 standard deviations below normal dropping to near 0C

Wednesday night will even support some wet snow accumulations atop
the highest peaks"

Really great upslope pattern setting up Wed-Friday. 

Where was this all winter? Abundant moisture and temps several std below normal....would hate to have that between December and March.  Be just terrible to make feet of champlain fluff.  Much better we get freezing icy misty rain. 

:axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:  :axe:

BTV's rainfall map from this latest storm....been a while since such a widespread 1"+ event rolled through with spot 2" amounts.

attachicon.gifJune_5_totals.png

Good rain.  A growing rain.

The totals in the south western side are skewed a bit on the low side by the storm starting around 6 am.  Some of the rain was captured in the previous day's totals.

Wasn't up north for Sunday's rain, but recorded 0.83" from the cell that passed through Friday night (that's a 2 year storm event for 30 minute rainfall).

I believe our 2 year 24 hour storm is about 3.2" for here in Lowell. I believe that's from a type 2 rainfall distribution which I believe is a hurricane. Don't think it's as much up north, but there is a bullseye in the whites with higher totals.

On a side note, see a pool of 0 deg @ 850 Wednesday night. Snow above 2000'?

Honestly, that seems low. The WRF is ROBUST from 12am to 5AM for the spine. -2 to -3c air, abundant moisture and plenty of lift. I think 2"-3" is not out of the question. Which would be utterly insane.

I've already signed up for Toll Road check on Thursday morning...the 7am drive to 4000ft, haha.

June 2013 I believe. It rained 44 out of 60 days in BTV between mid-may and early July.  It was the wettest May on record and the Second wettest June on record. I just about died.

2009 was the wettest summer here. From June 9 thru August 3, I recorded rain on 49 of 56 days, though 5 of those days brought only a trace.

1pm  Partly cloudy 71/59F.   Wish it were about 10 degrees warmer to really get these storms going.

I am not sure if I have ever mentioned it on these boards but my house got hit by lightning several years ago and I was standing 15 feet away and saw it.  Interesting story.  As most of you know our house is exposed with fields around it and I'm 600 feet above the surrounding area.  House is also 231 years old and has a cedar shake roof.  As excited as I am for storms thunderstorms always freak us out with a volunteer fire department and no water source on the hill other than my pond.  So when we moved up here full time in 2001 we invested about $4000 and put in a professional lightning protection system.  In doing my initial research I quickly learned that the old fashion lightning rods do not work well.  You need a complete system with deep grounding poles etc.  We picked Priestly Lightning Protection out of Vermont. www.zerozap.com Put in a whole system.  Few years later we had a good daytime storm.  Of course I was at the window in my sunroom watching it.  On our arbor on the SW corner of the house was a rod that you can see from inside the house.  Bolt came down and hit the rod and traveled along the copper line to the ground.  Sparks went everywhere.  I don't even remember the boom.  Saved the house.  There was a strong smell of ozone.  I ran around the house but everything was fine. Circuit breaker box is grounded etc.  The wood beam right under the copper line was slightly burned but that was it.  So now I have a renewed respect for lightning.  Don't ever want to be that close again.

Attached is a picture of the house. Rod that was hit is on the left hand side on the front of the arbor.  You can see rods on the chimney.  There are about a dozen rods including one on top of my anamometer pole above the Davis just out of view.

post-268-0-54640600-1465320741_thumb.jpg

Jeremy,  take your camera, get some good shots and sell it to the networks.  Snow in New England is very rare for June 9th!  Would be nice to get a good coating on the green trees!

I am going to give it a shot if it materializes.

I am honestly considering hiking up! 

If the calendar said just about any other month besides June, July and August, this would be a no-doubt "on" snow event.  There is moisture, lift and enough cold air to make snow. Were this april I'd have no problem suggesting there would be 3-4" inches of snow from this event.  Now....gonna be hard to get accums on wet warm grass.  How much is eaten up before anything sticks will be the key in my mind. 

If the calendar said just about any other month besides June, July and August, this would be a no-doubt "on" snow event.  There is moisture, lift and enough cold air to make snow. Were this april I'd have no problem suggesting there would be 3-4" inches of snow from this event.  Now....gonna be hard to get accums on wet warm grass.  How much is eaten up before anything sticks will be the key in my mind. 

Stupid sun angle  :whistle:

If the calendar said just about any other month besides June, July and August, this would be a no-doubt "on" snow event. There is moisture, lift and enough cold air to make snow. Were this april I'd have no problem suggesting there would be 3-4" inches of snow from this event. Now....gonna be hard to get accums on wet warm grass. How much is eaten up before anything sticks will be the key in my mind.

BTV AFD mentions snow down to 3,000ft now...it has seemed to come in a little colder on today's guidance. The difference between +1C to -1C at H85 and -2C to -4C will matter haha.

Missed the thunderstorms today,  couple to the immediate south and a heavy shower just to the north.  Ended the day with .06",  .03" from this morning and a 5 minute .03" with a shower earlier this eve.   Made a time lapse of the thunderstorm that passed just to the south and got Dendrite and eek.  It seemed to cycle and at one point had a nice gust front pushing the rain ahead.  Here's the video

https://video.nest.com/clip/47f446b70bb846f0b4e333785e8a8d50.mp4

As far as all the sprinkler activity in the video we decided to fertilize the lawn today after the good soaking from a couple of days ago.  My theory was today's showers were going to dissolve the fertilizer into the moist topsoil.  When it was evident there would be no rain we set up the sprinklers for a quick watering.

Missed the thunderstorms today,  couple to the immediate south and a heavy shower just to the north.  Ended the day with .06",  .03" from this morning and a 5 minute .03" with a shower earlier this eve.   Made a time lapse of the thunderstorm that passed just to the south and got Dendrite and eek.  It seemed to cycle and at one point had a nice gust front pushing the rain ahead.  Here's the video

https://video.nest.com/clip/47f446b70bb846f0b4e333785e8a8d50.mp4

As far as all the sprinkler activity in the video we decided to fertilize the lawn today after the good soaking from a couple of days ago.  My theory was today's showers were going to dissolve the fertilizer into the moist topsoil.  When it was evident there would be no rain we set up the sprinklers for a quick watering.

very nice

Archived