• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

It sits in a little bowl at 3,100ft between the tops of the Sterling Mountain double chairlift (Smugglers Notch Resort) and the Sensation Quad chair at Stowe.  Smuggs occupies the north and west side of the pass, and Stowe has terrain just over the ridge on the east side, as well as the Mansfield east side.

I bet its tough to go clear and calm up there, but the surface there may be able to do it.  Literally 6ft or lower type surface.  The air is always moving up at that elevation it seems.

It doesn't get much weenier than this.

post-3-0-40871800-1465094770_thumb.jpeg

post-3-0-77095000-1465094790_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very true on it being a weenie spot...it's a 280-300" per year site probably based on 20-30 year averages. Most likely around 300" from 1990-2011 and 280" now after several low winters in the past 5 years. That's a snowy spot up at the top of the notch with higher terrain around it.

LCI has no rain gauge setup so sure. lol

Haha, so it'd be a pretty even trade then.

Just about 0.60" in the Stratus so far and there was a very brief lull but looks like the SSE flow is keeping the precipitation going over the Spine and east slopes.

Base of the ski resort up to 0.78" on the east side, while the west side spots in Underhill are 0.35-0.5" so there's definitely some orographics helping from the low level jet.

post-352-0-63082500-1465152137_thumb.gif

Man that is a big area of heavy rain moving through northern NY and entering the Champlain Valley.

SLK ASOS up to 1.51" with 0.50" in the last 30 minutes.

Most of the PWS in the Adirondacks are in the 1.5-2.0" range with heavy rain occurring.

The Green Mountain spine and immediate east slopes are above 1.0" now and will add it up quickly as this moisture feed increases.  I'm at 0.71" in town.

post-352-0-51742500-1465160241_thumb.gif

There it is...MVL actually recording some rainfall in this torrential stuff after having only 0.07" (10% or less of reality at the time) through 5pm.

The new way you can tell if it's raining hard is if anything is getting into the MVL tipper. Like I told Dendrite, I have no idea why or how it does it, but once the OB goes +RN it starts recording something lol.

7:15pm 1" heavy rain is still west so we should end up over 1.50". Best rain in along time. Great for crops in all of New England. Good deep soaking of topsoil.

Yeah it's been raining non-stop since like 9am...river out back has come up like 2 feet and it's a muddy torrent right now. Thankfully it was so dry before this. Not often 1.5-2.0" rainfall comes in a 10-hour long soaker.

I think you were just on the edge of getting into better rains. The SW part of the state will be the relative screw zone.

I'm almost an inch below Franklin Falls...I guess it's possible, but it seems extreme for something not hugely convective yet. Either way it'll still end up a decent drink.

Archived