Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh, it's time.

Was just thinking the same thing.  Would like a little more rain for the golf course but other than that, the temps have been pleasant after our hot stretch and next week looks rather coolish too.  I bought a new AC unit and only used it once or twice.  If it turns out that we don't need it again this summer, I am fine making that that sacrifice for the good of all of NNE.  However, I will not be so happy if I decide to buy a new snowmobile and it keeps the snow away again this year.

Fifteen consecutive AN days, and only need to reach 64-65 today to make it 16 (or 17, as tomorrow will be 6-8F AN.)   Only 0.14" precip in 18 days, USGS gauge on the Sandy River is 231 cfs and the table has 261 in 1959 as lowest on record for June 3 - guess that will change.  Don't expect much today, but the Sun-Mon event looks to remedy the situation.

Fifteen consecutive AN days, and only need to reach 64-65 today to make it 16 (or 17, as tomorrow will be 6-8F AN.) Only 0.14" precip in 18 days, USGS gauge on the Sandy River is 231 cfs and the table has 261 in 1959 as lowest on record for June 3 - guess that will change. Don't expect much today, but the Sun-Mon event looks to remedy the situation.

Yeah the river in my backyard is really really low. It drains all of the east side of Mansfield/Smugglers Notch/Sterling Ridge and Mansfield averages like 80" of rainfall so it rarely goes too long without a fresh water dump.

But lately since everything greened up and it's only rained 0.1-0.3" type stuff every few days, the river is exceptionally low. I ended up walking a couple miles in the river with the dog and it never got over thigh deep. Most was shin deep.

GFS deliver 3" of rain here through Mon AM and a widespread 2"+ across NNE. Get the stratus gauges ready.

Very excited about the model runs.   Would love to see a good 2-3" region wide.   My hayfever is going nuts too.  So much tree pollen without periodic rains to keep it at bay.  Maybe once we get a good soak and then a few days of showers the worst of the spring pollen will be behind us.

Just got to wash out the spider webs and dust in the rain gauge and then we can bring it on!

Just looking at the 18Z NAM that is coming out right now.  Has a swath of rain through NNE this evening.  Up to 1" across the Whites.  I don't see anything on radar or satellite to indicate anything more than a few rogue showers.  How can a model be so wrong in the short term?  Maybe things will start popping real soon and it will verify but I have my doubts.

Awesome man, I was on Mansfield's ridge by 8am (drove up in a work truck though haha) and it was a nice morning. We were doing some afternoon work on the Ziplines and sitting at 3,000ft the black flies were relentless...just swarms of them and you'd pick 6-8 off your leg or arm at a time. Needless to say we only stayed up there for an hour.

Some amazing shots Eyewall. That pond looks pretty high up, what's the elevation on that bad boy?

3,100ft...

I believe Sterling Pond is the highest body of water in state of its size, or its the highest year-round body of water in the state...something like that.  Bear Pond on Mt Mansfield is at 3,900ft and is the highest pond in the state but its small and has dried up in the past I think. 

Sterling Pond is definitely the highest and largest body of water in Vermont though, as Eyewall documented its perched way up there.  That thing is rumored to freeze solid straight to the bottom, lol.

One more with a cloud in the notch:

13305214_10103352888551379_1684966230351

Sick thing is I noticed that if you click on the full size image you can the few white specs of remaining June snow patches on Mansfield.  There are probably 10 piles (all snowmaking) scattered around the hill right now, looks like 4 are in view, lol.

3,100ft...

I believe Sterling Pond is the highest body of water in state of its size, or its the highest year-round body of water in the state...something like that. Bear Pond on Mt Mansfield is at 3,900ft and is the highest pond in the state but its small and has dried up in the past I think.

Sterling Pond is definitely the highest and largest body of water in Vermont though, as Eyewall documented its perched way up there. That thing is rumored to freeze solid straight to the bottom, lol.

Wow, 3k. Looks like a pretty cool spot.

was sitting in my chair and noticed lightning.... zomg at radar.

living in a place with windows is so great.

You are right on the southern fringe of the trajectory of that line. btw...some bastard critter got my kale and some of the flower heads today. I'm ready to gas all of the rodents.

You are right on the southern fringe of the trajectory of that line. btw...some bastard critter got my kale and some of the flower heads today. I'm ready to gas all of the rodents.

Sitting in my backyard around a fire and noticed very distant flashes in the sky. Looked at radar and did not expect that they were that far away.

We're lucky that we don't seem to have rabbits around here.  I just got back from Twin Mountain where I dropped off the rest of my overflow flowers.  I was sitting there and out comes a surprisingly large rabbit to inspect my offerings.   They won't kill them and trapping does nothing.  

Franconia notch was in classic form on the way up.  Nice blue sky all around but a black cloud was spitting rain inside the notch.  

Sorry for the delayed response and yeah I bet it does freeze to the bottom. As I said the toughest part was the black flies. Definitely a beautiful spot though! I appreciate the compliments on the pics. I definitely want to return in better conditions. 

I wonder if that spot can go calm with an arctic high overhead...

It sits in a little bowl at 3,100ft between the tops of the Sterling Mountain double chairlift (Smugglers Notch Resort) and the Sensation Quad chair at Stowe.  Smuggs occupies the north and west side of the pass, and Stowe has terrain just over the ridge on the east side, as well as the Mansfield east side.

I bet its tough to go clear and calm up there, but the surface there may be able to do it.  Literally 6ft or lower type surface.  The air is always moving up at that elevation it seems.

Sick thing is I noticed that if you click on the full size image you can the few white specs of remaining June snow patches on Mansfield.  There are probably 10 piles (all snowmaking) scattered around the hill right now, looks like 4 are in view, lol.

That definitely caught my eye as well!

Archived