Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, alex said:

Finally got home. Might not have made it to 28.6 like the weather station thinks but we had a good frost. My tomatoes, squashes, corn are all fried. :( I got like 10 cherry tomatoes out of them and not a single squash. Yippee! The kale is doing fantastic on the other hand. Might have to stick with kale and lettuce next year...

I know it's not a davis,  but how far off could that station be? 1-3F? Even with that it's pretty damn cold spot.

Your tomato season is like a month long up there.

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Alex, you are sure in a great location.  Do you have a map or anything to show your exact location?   I forget what your elevation is.  Going to enjoy your new cam!

Sure - just google "1800 rt 302 Bretton woods". I don't think it got that cold, I think we just radiate very well which makes not having a FARS problematic. My elevation is 1550 but it's also the lowest spot in the valley, which is I think what makes it particularly cold. You are already decently elevated, but also get cold drainage from the surrounding mountains. I doubt it was 29 though.  I don't know how cold it needs to be for tomatoes to get killed but I imagine 34 is probably enough. Even that is a 6 degree difference from my station which is annoying. I wish I had gotten the Davis

2 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

I know it's not a davis,  but how far off could that station be? 1-3F? Even with that it's pretty damn cold spot.

Your tomato season is like a month long up there.

Yeah I'm learning. I think I'll get a small greenhouse some day and for now I'll stick with kale, spinach etc. beets came out pretty well too. The corn I planted too late, it got frozen but was close to being ready, but I didn't plant it till early July. 

7 hours ago, alex said:

Sure - just google "1800 rt 302 Bretton woods". I don't think it got that cold, I think we just radiate very well which makes not having a FARS problematic. My elevation is 1550 but it's also the lowest spot in the valley, which is I think what makes it particularly cold. You are already decently elevated, but also get cold drainage from the surrounding mountains. I doubt it was 29 though.  I don't know how cold it needs to be for tomatoes to get killed but I imagine 34 is probably enough. Even that is a 6 degree difference from my station which is annoying. I wish I had gotten the Davis

I've had tomatoes survive when there was frost on car roofs 50' away, though no thermometer in the garden patch.  They're a bit hardier in late summer than when first planted.  Of course, when I lived in Ft. Kent, red tomatoes on the vine were an exotic concept - ripening under newspapers in the cellar was the norm.

0.05" in the gauge this morning - yay!

8 hours ago, alex said:

So you're right on the Ammonoosuc? You must be minutes away from Bretton Woods and MWN Resort? That's definitely a weenie spot for cold. I'm not kidding when I say I recommend something more "official" for temp readings there. 

Alex...this station is probably most comparable to you.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=BETN3&time=GMT

That's right on the river on 302 in Bethlehem. They were 33.5F on Fri morning, but they only report every 15 minutes. I have an unprotected temp probe that runs about 3-5F cooler than my shielded sensor at 2m so an error of a few degrees puts you in that 32-33F ballpark with possible frost.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Ended up saving a few bucks and just drove to winni after the wedding. Low as I've ever seen it. There's boats that are going to have trouble coming out of the water. Shocked at how low it is. 

I think I heard on the news its the lowest in 100 years?   .18" here earlier this morning. 

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I think I heard on the news its the lowest in 100 years?   .18" here earlier this morning. 

Can anyone make sense of how this fits in with the US drought monitor map? Winne is only under abnormally dry conditions....

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/Home/RegionalDroughtMonitor.aspx?northeast

I'm at Glennis falls, in North Conway and you'd think we'd be under severe (at least) drought conditions around here the way rivers and lakes have dried up.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Here's why I think you have shielding problems...

There is no way you had a high of 81F that day Alex. That's at least 10F too high for that afternoon. You should've seen something like 70/32 for the day...not 81/28.

Exactly! Is there any way to "fix" that or just a matter of getting a better product? The shielding just doesn't seem to cut it...

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Alex...this station is probably most comparable to you.

http://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droman/meso_base_dyn.cgi?stn=BETN3&time=GMT

That's right on the river on 302 in Bethlehem. They were 33.5F on Fri morning, but they only report every 15 minutes. I have an unprotected temp probe that runs about 3-5F cooler than my shielded sensor at 2m so an error of a few degrees puts you in that 32-33F ballpark with possible frost.

Interesting. Yes, we probably got right around 32F. Bethlehem is not far, maybe 7-8 miles, but lower in elevation and not quite as sheltered as BW, so it makes sense that if you shave off a degree or two you'd be pretty close. Argh I wish I had spent the extra! 

44 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

News needs to do more fact checking.  It's not even sorta close to being that low.  It's about 7-8" below the normal level for this time of year. 

If the fall stays super dry, it might come close to 2001/2002 levels.

0.02" of meh. Radar not looking promising.

What happened to storms. Guess convergence didn't develop. Why are models so bad lately? This is frustrating. We had two tstorms all summer and they weren't even severe. I don't care about tstorms at this point, but damn we need real rain events. I'll predict Sunday is a pile of meh.

Not to gloat, but looks like forecast for showers and clouds all day is a bust. 0.15" last night with sun coming out now. Tomorrow's precip chances looks to have decreased. The beat goes on.

1 hour ago, eekuasepinniW said:

News needs to do more fact checking.  It's not even sorta close to being that low.  It's about 7-8" below the normal level for this time of year. 

If the fall stays super dry, it might come close to 2001/2002 levels.

It's more than 7-8". There is a rock that is almost 10" out of the water that is usually submerged by a few inches at least. There is one boat virtually bottomed out. It's almost 15-20" lower than normal by our dock. I know we've had some real wet years to skew it, but this is a first for me. 

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's more than 7-8". There is a rock that is almost 10" out of the water that is usually submerged by a few inches at least. There is one boat virtually bottomed out. It's almost 15-20" lower than normal by our dock. I know we've had some real wet years to skew it, but this is a first for me. 

I said below normal for this time of year, not below full lake. 

If you want to get super precise we are currently 19.2" below full lake but only 4.56" below the average fall water level as of 11am.  This water level is by no means rare, but is usually not seen until November when most people have left the area. 

2 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I said below normal for this time of year, not below full lake. 

If you want to get super precise we are currently 19.2" below full lake but only 4.56" below the average fall water level as of 11am.  This water level is by no means rare, but is usually not seen until November when most people have left the area. 

I've been here in Novie and that rock hasn't been that exposed. Usually it's closer to this level in the winter. 

Archived