Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2016

MaineJayhawk

Looked up the forecast for Pittsburg.

Tonight
A chance of rain showers after 9pm, mixing with snow after 5am. Cloudy, with a low around 36. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New precipitation amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Thursday
A chance of rain showers, snow showers, and sleet before 9am, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 9am and 10am, then rain showers likely after 10am. Cloudy, with a high near 45. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Little or no snow and sleet accumulation expected.

It's hard to believe people live there on purpose.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too bad powderfreak couldn't get this setup on December 13th instead of June 13th:

f120.gif

lol yeah it's like come on...vertically stacked system at FVE with cyclonic flow advecting maritime moisture back into the area... we've had some good looking set-ups since April haha.

I can't even put it into words that well but I've seen it enough to know that these marginal isothermal columns up to 6,000ft working on upslope flow can struggle to form flakes. I've seen it in May and September...the upslope freezing drizzle falling in sheets up there. Very small droplets but it adds up and soaks through quickly. Ice accums on the evergreens and grass blades.

True.  But i've also seen where these situations make 3" inches of snow when a dusting was expected.  I'm betting on the simple: cold enough, wet enough, and lifty-enough. 

While NWS doesn't seem as optimistic (ie the freezing rain scenario) I am still going to see if it is worth a climb in the morning.

This is a fantastic AFD by Banacos...

"Should see some light orographic precipitation develop across

both the nrn Adirondacks and nrn Green mountains with this

synoptic feature and continued NW flow (850mb winds 30-35 kts).

Have indicated PoPs around 60% for the higher elevations, and

generally 20-40% for the valleys. NAM12/BTV-4km WRF/NAM-4km all

indicate a few hundreths QPF in the orographically favored

locations of the Adirondacks and nrn Greens. Freezing levels drop

to 2000-2500` after midnight. That said, saturated layer is

relatively shallow per NAM/GFS model soundings (just a 2kft thick

band from 3- 5kft in the 12Z NAM) and not particularly cold

(generally warmer than -5C), thus thermal regime favors

supercooled water over frozen condensate. Anticipate a bit of

riming or freezing drizzle across the ridge tops tonight, with

perhaps intermittent snow flurries at times, if saturation can

occur at colder temperatures within the clouds. Lowered any snow

accumulation to <1" for the highest peaks of the nrn Greens and

nrn Adirondacks based on anticipated sounding profiles. Low

temperatures tonight generally 42-46F at surface elevations AOB

1000 ft, with is 7-10DEG below the 30-yr climo mean in most spots.

Thursday: Continued deep-layer NW/cyclonic flow regime in place

across NY and Northern New England for Thursday. NAM12/BTV-4km

WRF/NAM-4km show continued orographic showers, mainly across far

n-central into nern VT, where best deep-layer moisture is

expected tomorrow. Freezing levels remain relatively low, around

2kft at 12Z and climbing to around 3kft at 18z per 12Z NAM

soundings across nrn VT. Again, saturated layer is relatively

shallow and generally warmer than -5C, so again rime and/or a bit

of freezing drizzle is favored over snow for the ridge tops, but

did keep some snow mention in case saturation extends deeper and

to colder temps."

42F and -RA at Pittsburg.

lol yeah... Coles Pond, VT is down to 41F.

Looks like Bolton village at 2,100ft around here is 43F and now raining.

Moisture is building in on composite radar. Upslope probably about to ramp up here after the initial warning-shot showers that popped up an hour or so ago. Will probably see it take on a more uniform upslope precipitation band.

Stowe base area at 1,500ft is down to 45F and 0.07" rain in the last hour...fairly standard precip rate for upslope.

June_8ba_zpspyczwtvq.gif

Sure enough, moments later the larger scale lift of the Spine created a good uniform band of upslope precipitation on the low level radar scans. I love when it does that...you see nothing really happening and then in a matter of minutes a large area of air just rises, cools, and condenses all at once.

post-352-0-74583300-1465435758_thumb.gif

I saw 37F at Stratton a little over 3kft. Looks like the freezing line is down to 5kft on the autoroad.

55F and breezy here and it feels like Oct...I can't imagine 40F and wind right now.

Yeah man, 7am on the mountain should be wild for June.

Last ob from up top is 36F gusting to 59mph with a wind chill of 21F.

2.45 degree radar scan picking up some bright banding briefly over Mansfield-Bolton stretch of the Spine. No idea how high the beam is though.

I saw 37F at Stratton a little over 3kft. Looks like the freezing line is down to 5kft on the autoroad.

55F and breezy here and it feels like Oct...I can't imagine 40F and wind right now.

Totally feels like the first day of school instead of the last.

CAA gusts all night long, lenticular everywhere this morning. 

Flakes on the web cam with this heavier burst.

Heading up shortly.

0.22" rain overnight at home, nice pull for purely orographic. 0.35" at the base of the ski resort.

This is the type of set up where you are reveling in the magic of the Greens with your surprisingly heavy 4"-8" of upslope snow while here, away from the spine, we move in and out of clouds with occasional flizzards that amount to nothing. 

Just got back from up top...pellets, small pellets.

Didn't see any flakes but the heavier showers had moved out so it was sideways small pellets above 3,300ft.

Cool to see some frozen anyway.

Tropical storm conditions from like 2,000-3,000ft though with high winds and sideways rain. It's blowing hard up there.

This is the type of set up where you are reveling in the magic of the Greens with your surprisingly heavy 4"-8" of upslope snow while here, away from the spine, we move in and out of clouds with occasional flizzards that amount to nothing. 

Sounds about right, average upslope ratio is about 28:1 per NWS BTV research, so would have been a nice 6-8" event for those getting above .20".

Looking back on last winter, best upslope I had was 5.3" on .18" LE which is right about 29:1 ratio

Just got back from up top...pellets, small pellets.

Didn't see any flakes but the heavier showers had moved out so it was sideways small pellets above 3,300ft.

Cool to see some frozen anyway.

Tropical storm conditions from like 2,000-3,000ft though with high winds and sideways rain. It's blowing hard up there.

Triple digits on the rock pile this morning.

Archived