• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

Definitely not JFK. It's usually very similar to LGA and NYC. I live in the next neighborhood over.

But Kensington is far enough south that he'd catch sea breezes that NYC and LGA probably won't get.

He can probably use both stations depending on the pattern at the time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But Kensington is far enough south that he'd catch sea breezes that NYC and LGA probably won't get.

He can probably use both stations depending on the pattern at the time.

Kensington is less south than Boro Park. Anyway, Brooklyn needs an official reporting station.

This is going to take a 34deg. 850mb and 6000m on the 500mb.   The DPs look like our fall/winter though.

It'll probably feel about as hot as here in central TX given how much worse the humidity is out here. DP's here have been around 75 for days now, with highs expected to get to near 100 by Friday. The air is just putrid, and it's unbearable to even go out for a walk in after 11am or before 8pm-the heat index has hit or gone over 105 for about 5-6 days now. It also takes about 20 mins to get fried given the sun angle. This will keep getting worse until mid-August, and then not really subside until October. 

It'll probably feel about as hot as here in central TX given how much worse the humidity is out here. DP's here have been around 75 for days now, with highs expected to get to near 100 by Friday. The air is just putrid, and it's unbearable to even go out for a walk in after 11am or before 8pm-the heat index has hit or gone over 105 for about 5-6 days now. It also takes about 20 mins to get fried given the sun angle. This will keep getting worse until mid-August, and then not really subside until October. 

That is really tough. I am not a big fan of any place that is outside the reach of a cooling sea breeze during the summer.

Our only really hot summer days are those with offshore flow when the heat gets all the way down to the beaches.

That is really tough. I am not a big fan of any place that is outside the reach of a cooling sea breeze during the summer.

Our only really hot summer days are those with offshore flow when the heat gets all the way down to the beaches.

Exactly!!! A strong WNW wind can get 100 right to the beach. 18 years life gaurding I have experienced it several times. The crazy part is it causes upwelling and lowers the water temp. Talk about a shock going from 100 degree air to 60 degree water!!!

Exactly!!! A strong WNW wind can get 100 right to the beach. 18 years life gaurding I have experienced it several times. The crazy part is it causes upwelling and lowers the water temp. Talk about a shock going from 100 degree air to 60 degree water!!!

I've seen that down in S NJ too-nothing worse than 98 with strong west winds blowing sand, water's 55 degrees and there are green flies everywhere from the west winds bringing them in from the bay

Agree.

Nothing like that seabreeze.

:sizzle:

reminds me of my days in Eastern NC-not quite that hot, but it settled in around 6/1 and went well into September-a cold front was rare--day after day of 90+ and humid.   No thanks.

I hate seabreezes lol. Luckily they don't always reach me. Give me WNW winds, I believe that was the set up that allowed JFK to hit 99 under complete cloud cover a few years ago, I remember that day, it felt great.

Seabreezes here make the air feel worse. Galveston Island has highs usually a good 5-10 degrees lower than here, but the dewpoint sometimes hits 80. 

Seabreezes here make the air feel worse. Galveston Island has highs usually a good 5-10 degrees lower than here, but the dewpoint sometimes hits 80.

That sounds ideal for me lol, as long as that heat and those dews help feed some nice thunderstorms. Although I hear the TX coast is quite windy.

That sounds ideal for me lol, as long as that heat and those dews help feed some nice thunderstorms. Although I hear the TX coast is quite windy.

Nah, I'll pass. This was Galveston at 2pm today:

Temp 89, Dew 81, Heat Index 108

Here in Austin at the same time:

Temp 95, Dew 74, Heat Index 106

Sometimes you'll see storms on the seabreeze front near Houston in the summer, but they don't make it all the way back to the I-35 corridor where I am. I'm a two and a half hour drive from the Gulf. 

And on those days it will get to 100 by 11am on the south shore and then slowly climb to 101-102 before cooling down by 3pm.

Nah, I'll pass. This was Galveston at 2pm today:

Temp 89, Dew 81, Heat Index 108

Here in Austin at the same time:

Temp 95, Dew 74, Heat Index 106

Sometimes you'll see storms on the seabreeze front near Houston in the summer, but they don't make it all the way back to the I-35 corridor where I am. I'm a two and a half hour drive from the Gulf.

how u doing so far this summer John? Are you tired of the heat yet or it hasn't been that bad?

And on those days it will get to 100 by 11am on the south shore and then slowly climb to 101-102 before cooling down by 3pm.

Haha, I've seen that before. For some reason, the heat seems to pool up right on the shore, and then the wind shift comes through and it's like a refrigerator opens up. 

how u doing so far this summer John? Are you tired of the heat yet or it hasn't been that bad?

The heat seems to be starting up early this year. Last year, the 95+ heat didn't start up until the end of the month. The rain finally stopped 10 days ago, and from there the heat's been building up. In a month, it'll probably hit 100+ routinely. The same happened last year, just delayed a couple of weeks-it went from floods and heavy rain right to heat. By September we had severe to extreme drought and by October wildfires. It gives you an idea of how hot it has to be for the ground to go from absolutely soaked from record rain to wildfires in 3-4 months. I had about 25 days of 100+ heat, a few days where it hit 105+.

Yeah, days like July 5th,1999 come to mind with 100 in Long Beach and a 75 degree dewpoint and a strong

offshore flow. Then we have the greatest stretch of summer heat that I have ever seen here from 2010

to 2013 with numerous hot offshore flow days.

The strong offshore flow over the last week or so has created some of the most impressive June upwelling

that we have seen in recent years.

If any of you folks like heat and severe forget it!!!! This summer looks more and more like a shutout. If you liked summer 1992/2000/2009 add 2016, I see the ensembles, GEFS and CFS are not hot at all for the next 2 weeks at least. Normal, if lucky. There are going to be some more impressive cold fronts and chilly CP air for quite awhile based on pattern for next 2-3 weeks at least. No Big Western Atlantic ridge Bermuda high expected either. This will be the coolest Niño to Niña summer on record here. Mark my words. Only 3 more 90 degree days I expect for NYC and none for LI. Prove me wrong, but don't think I will be. We'll see in 3 months.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived