SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

are we talking busts from a week out or day out?...being so old I can remember busts from the early 60's...The forecast for the morning of March 3rd 1960 was snow changing to rain with moderating temperatures into the mid 30's...The opposite happened with it becoming a blizzard with dropping temperatures into the teens...Another morning in January 1962 had a heavy snow warning...As soon as I heard it the Sun came out and there was no snow at all...February 9th, 1969 was the biggest best bust in history...

There were a string of unpleasant busts in the late 1990's. I remember several separate events with forecasts of 2-4 inches of snow in C NJ and Winter Weather Advisories being issued. I woke up to drizzle and 37 F. 

Best missed forecast has to be January 2000. Flurries were in the forecast. By 12AM a band of SN+ backed into the coast from the east. Everyone saw 3+ in rates and 6-15 in. totals.

4 hours ago, Pamela said:

I think you mean 20 January 1978...I believe that was around the night Dallas defeated Denver at the Superdome as Staubach badly outplayed Craig Morton.  Now I'm reminded of how Rob Lytle barely made it over the goal line at Mile High a couple of weeks earlier to get them there and how Madden fumed.  Talk about Proust and Remembrance of Things Past!

There was a 10 inch plus snowstorm in February 1979...(PD I)...but it was forecast to take place.

*Actually, researching that Oakland / Denver game on the computer for a minute, I'm reminded that though Lytle was involved in the key play...he was not the one that went into the end zone.  As it was, Lytle fumbled near the goal line but the ref ruled that his forward progress had ceased prior to the actual fumble itself; and consequently they treated it as if no fumble had occurred.  This was very significant as the Raiders had recovered the ball.  Then, on the next play, someone named Keyworth took a one yard plunge to solidify the Broncos victory.

Pam , you're right .  I was 7 , growing up in Park Slope watching it snow heavily that night .

My older brother saying , don't get too excited , it's going to change to rain .

Woke up to a foot or so OTG.

36 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Pretty impressive Typhoon Songda ET windstorm for the PAC NW coming up.

16m
UPDATE: Models beginning to have stronger agreement on worst-case scenario for Saturday storm. #wawx #WAwind #Seattle
View details ·    

eps_WP23_2016101300.png

5" of rain, hurricane force gusts Sat. nite there.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=KBFI

This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Windy, with a south wind around 39 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 9. Windy, with a south southwest wind 44 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 14. Windy, with a southwest wind 39 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow showers. Low around 8. Windy, with a west southwest wind 36 to 38 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 38 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 10. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow showers. High near 19. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

17 hours ago, Dan76 said:
This Afternoon
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 23. Windy, with a south wind around 39 mph, with gusts as high as 50 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 24 to 30 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 9. Windy, with a south southwest wind 44 to 55 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible.
Friday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 14. Windy, with a southwest wind 39 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 15 to 21 inches possible.
Friday Night
Snow showers. Low around 8. Windy, with a west southwest wind 36 to 38 mph, with gusts as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 12 to 18 inches possible.
Saturday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 19. Windy, with a southwest wind 38 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 17 to 23 inches possible.
Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 10. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 14 to 20 inches possible.
Sunday
Snow showers. High near 19. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

112-150 inches of snow which is 12 feet on the high end-imagine a forecast like that for here???  Where is this-mountain of WA?

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived