• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Banter

mappy

It is mostly the tree/bushes that we've just planted.  The subsurface is doing well, but for anything that doesn't have a root system established the dry is have an impact.  Our three red twig dogwood bushes that went in this year are wilting after 4 or 5 days without water.

I actually planted one of those this year too and its doing well. The problem is mostly confined to the grass, especially my seedlings that were coming up in May, so I think its mostly a surface dryness like you said. Everyone's lawn here is brown despite watering, but the trees and shrubs are still doing very well.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same. grass is green and garden is thriving -- except for the bunnies who keep eating my cucumber sprouts. I plant seeds, they sprout, then they vanish. wash rinse repeat. 

This is the first time I've seen a rabbit family in my neighborhood, though I had seen one lone rabbit a few years ago. My next-door neighbor said it's the first time he's seen them in the 43 years he's been in the house. The one rabbit we see all the time is dumb as a stump - it'll slowly hop right in front of you without a care in the world, half-daring you to do something about it.*

I've had the same issues with small plants disappearing. I've even lost two tomato transplants that were eaten all the way to the ground. My suggestion is to get a solo cup and cut out the bottom. Turn it upside down and stick it into the ground just deep enough so it doesn't fall over, then plant your seeds inside the cup and cover with the appropriate amount of soil. The rabbits will generally go for the easiest pickings, so they don't feel like trying to nibble on something that's got a cup around it. It's just enough of a deterrent to help some of the survive, and by the time they grow to a decent size, the rabbits won't be interested any more.

* My dog reduced the rabbit family by one about two months ago. He played with it like it was a squeaky toy until it didn't squeak any more.

It is mostly the tree/bushes that we've just planted.  The subsurface is doing well, but for anything that doesn't have a root system established the dry is have an impact.  Our three red twig dogwood bushes that went in this year are wilting after 4 or 5 days without water.

I can see that being a problem. Newly planted seeds need to be watered pretty regularly, though my tomato transplants are doing quite well with just the occasional watering. Planters need to be watered regularly, though that's pretty standard stuff.

Have you been out yet? I am just finishing up my new trot line with the easy opening snoods, and do I wish I had built it sooner. So much easier.

I'd like to go out and give it a try tomorrow afternoon but I should finish up something for work.

Not a crabber, but the guys handed me the rod and I quite awkwardly reeled in this big boy (33")

I said "oh hell no" to holding it for the pic, lol.

As far as crabs, they're pulling quite a few out of the creek we live on, so we're contemplating an attempt of dropping crab pots off the pier to see what happens. :)

post-3461-0-01432500-1466000709_thumb.jp

This is the first time I've seen a rabbit family in my neighborhood, though I had seen one lone rabbit a few years ago. My next-door neighbor said it's the first time he's seen them in the 43 years he's been in the house. The one rabbit we see all the time is dumb as a stump - it'll slowly hop right in front of you without a care in the world, half-daring you to do something about it.*

I've had the same issues with small plants disappearing. I've even lost two tomato transplants that were eaten all the way to the ground. My suggestion is to get a solo cup and cut out the bottom. Turn it upside down and stick it into the ground just deep enough so it doesn't fall over, then plant your seeds inside the cup and cover with the appropriate amount of soil. The rabbits will generally go for the easiest pickings, so they don't feel like trying to nibble on something that's got a cup around it. It's just enough of a deterrent to help some of the survive, and by the time they grow to a decent size, the rabbits won't be interested any more.

* My dog reduced the rabbit family by one about two months ago. He played with it like it was a squeaky toy until it didn't squeak any more.

thanks -- i'll have to try that! 

I'm surprised we still have rabbits. In the last two months our beagle has killed three, plus a baby bird. 

last one she killed was a baby bunny. my husband said she paraded it up to the back door all proud. 

:( 

Not a crabber, but the guys handed me the rod and I quite awkwardly reeled in this big boy (33")

I said "oh hell no" to holding it for the pic, lol.

As far as crabs, they're pulling quite a few out of the creek we live on, so we're contemplating an attempt of dropping crab pots off the pier to see what happens. :)

Crabs are here in big numbers. I caught a bushel of Jumbos in about 90 minutes on Sunday morning. Could hardly keep up dipping.

Hey, a couple of days ago the "data by state" feature on the NWS website started to link to the menu that would normally come up with the link below it on the page, so that now appears twice and data by state has gone AWOL.

I thought I would mention it here since perhaps some NWS employees read this forum? Has anyone else noticed this problem, or is it maybe related to expiring browsers (I have one of those, reluctant to pull the trigger on the upgrade in case all my cookies and passwords get munched).

Hey, a couple of days ago the "data by state" feature on the NWS website started to link to the menu that would normally come up with the link below it on the page, so that now appears twice and data by state has gone AWOL.

I thought I would mention it here since perhaps some NWS employees read this forum? Has anyone else noticed this problem, or is it maybe related to expiring browsers (I have one of those, reluctant to pull the trigger on the upgrade in case all my cookies and passwords get munched).

I also noticed the data by state webpage was gone too. There is a replacement page, and there was a menu bar down the left side.

One of the clickable items was for "webmaster." I clicked and my yahoo email on my iPhone came up with a NOAA administrator and his email. I emailed him (I'm with holding the name) and asked where the state data page went to.

I received a response saying he would answer my question if I would tell him how I accessed his email. He said I should not have been able to do that. I explained how it happened, and immediately almost all the links on the side bar disappeared. I have not heard back from him in response to my query. Harrumph!

I also noticed the data by state webpage was gone too. There is a replacement page, and there was a menu bar down the left side.

One of the clickable items was for "webmaster." I clicked and my yahoo email on my iPhone came up with a NOAA administrator and his email. I emailed him (I'm with holding the name) and asked where the state data page went to.

I received a response saying he would answer my question if I would tell him how I accessed his email. He said I should not have been able to do that. I explained how it happened, and immediately almost all the links on the side bar disappeared. I have not heard back from him in response to my query. Harrumph!

NEVER reveal or turn up your Ace card first........

How long ago did it go out?

Went out just past 9. They were estimating 3am for a while but it's back up and running. We got a standby generator (nat gas) after the derecho in 2012 (was supposed to go in after the 2010 blizzard but we got delayed). 

Much easier to play Twitter like me.  I "follow" 23 people.  Only you and CWG have anything to do with the weather.

I'm definitely addicted. It's a good place to connect to people.. more diverse audience than most places. But it's also basically middle school.

Archived