Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

18 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Yeah for real. I think some people mentally think they are living up north and snow and cold should be expected in the winter. For most areas, highs in the 50s are normal so everyone needs to come back down to reality.

I live in the mountains where even here we've seen nothing but flurries so far. I think I have a reason to gripe...a little anyway.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

It's not even officially winter so honestly I think nobody has a reason to gripe yet.

Maybe not meteorological winter, but Winter up here is November through late march- early April. We almost always have our first accumulating snows in November and occasionally late October. And by the time our pattern does a little reset, it'll probably be January before we start talking about the next real threat. While that's normal for you guys, it's not for us.

I must admit I bought into JBs bathtub theory.  I wanted to believe in it.  I almost feel bad for him as his December to remember seems in jeopardy.  He is just a weenie like the rest of us with fancy education.  It's possible that neither the SE nor MA where I am at see no measurable snow before NYE.  That would be sad but not something I am surprised by.  

6 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Man I would love to be up in the Great Lakes snow belt.

You'd probably get tired of snow if you lived up there. I've often wondered if snow would be as fun if I lived in an area where snow was the norm. Here in GA, I never have to worry about shoveling or driving in snow since everything usually shuts down. Most of the people I know who live in the South love snow, but most people I know who live up North hate snow

28 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol I get told all the time I talk wrong because of Mt accent. I work with a guy from Vermont.

Plus - they have no earthly idea about what catfish, grits, cornbread, collards and blackberry cobbler are.

:P

But they do know how to brew and drink beer  :popcorn:

7 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

18 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Plus - they have no earthly idea about what catfish, grits, cornbread, collards and blackberry cobbler are.

:P

But they do know how to brew and drink beer  :popcorn:

They sound very strange.

Indeed.

But they do have something called "winter" - and that thing - "winter" is a strange concept in and of itself  :maprain:

I'm calling BS on any model showing above normal for December temps. Main reason has to do with all the rain in the forecast and the turnaround on the drought. I know in warmer months when the soil moisture increases the temp stays low and there is less ridging. Not sure if this can apply for winter but it would make sense. Hopefully we can keep the SER at bay for a while.

3 minutes ago, GaStorm said:

I'm calling BS on any model showing above normal for December temps. Main reason has to do with all the rain in the forecast and the turnaround on the drought. I know in warmer months when the soil moisture increases the temp stays low and there is less ridging. Not sure if this can apply for winter but it would make sense. Hopefully we can keep the SER at bay for a while.

Not really, the SER is expected to strengthen a lot.... also I just did a quick diagnosis on this winter. Ok, here it goes: we suck.

I live vicariously through all the NC posters on here, but good to see some more GA posters in here this year.  Snowless used to be in Carrolton you need to live in Dahlonega a while before you start complaining ;-)  Here are my snow stats since 2010:  (these are jan1-dec31 records, not winter of).  

2010 - 8.2
2011 - 6.6
2012 - 0
2013 - 2
2014 - 8
2015 - 5.25

Anyone seen the NWS forecast for here Friday night / Sat?  I know it will trend the opposite way prior to then, but still fun to at least see it in print in the extended.

Friday Night
A chance of rain and snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 32. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Saturday
Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 50. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

• jburns locked this topic

Archived