Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, debeaches said:

To all the downtrodden and ready to jump off that weather cliff. Come and join our mid Atlantic panic room. We always have room for our southeast friends. 

I think we have enough here to start our own padded... err... panic...room! Who wants to start it?  Who wants to moderate and move all of the suspect posts in the discussion thread to the panic room?  Someone give me mod privileges and I'll do it.

13 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

The pattern thread has been horrible lately. I would hate to lose Jon's analysis. I wouldn't miss some of the other useless posts that pop up all too frequently. Let's take out the garbage...

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

definitely. I try not to post much in the main thread honestly. I pretty much know the basics of the models, and what I don't know I rely on guys like jon, Pack, Grit, and a couple others to post and explain and will occasionally ask a question or make a comment if I feel it is worth the spot in the main thread. But the past few days and especially today, it becomes too much garbage to even try and figure out what is going on. that's why I usually stick to the mountain thread to avoid "spamming" the main one.

13 minutes ago, AsheCounty48 said:

definitely. I try not to post much in the main thread honestly. I pretty much know the basics of the models, and what I don't know I rely on guys like jon, Pack, Grit, and a couple others to post and explain and will occasionally ask a question or make a comment if I feel it is worth the spot in the main thread. But the past few days and especially today, it becomes too much garbage to even try and figure out what is going on. that's why I usually stick to the mountain thread to avoid "spamming" the main one.

+1 Couldn't have said it better ash!!!

2 hours ago, calculus1 said:

The pattern thread has been horrible lately. I would hate to lose Jon's analysis. I wouldn't miss some of the other useless posts that pop up all too frequently. Let's take out the garbage...

First, we have to define garbage.  Here are a few examples.

POSTER A: Posts that although it is warm now and the models show it will be for at least a week or two he feels that the second half of January will be rocking with several good chances for winter storms.

POSTERS B & C: Post that it sounds good and they hope poster A is right.

POSTER D: Posts that the models show warmth for 2 weeks and he feels that it will stay warm throughout January and the best part of winter will be gone.

POSTERS E,F,G & H: Blast poster D. Cliff jumper!! Warmista!!!  You pessimists are ruining the forum!! Go post somewhere else!

At this point neither POSTER A, D or anyone else know what is going to happen the last two weeks of January.  Both posts are opinion. Do I decide which is trash based on my own opinion?   Not fair.  To be fair I can either leave both or delete both. Obviously, neither makes any sense. 

So where is the trash? IMO it is the posts of POSTERS E, F, G & H.  They turn one post they don't like and that can be scrolled past in a second or two, into 6 or 7 posts of often vitriolic rhetoric.  IMO, to clean up a thread, those are the posts that should be deleted.

POSTER A: Posts that although it is warm now and the models show it will be for at least a week or two he feels that the second half of January will be rocking with several good chances for winter storms.

POSTER D: Posts that the models show warmth for 2 weeks and he feels that it will stay warm throughout January and the best part of winter will be gone.

POSTERS E,F,G & H: Blast poster D. Cliff jumper!! Warmista!!!  You pessimists are ruining the forum!! Go post somewhere else!

At this point neither POSTER A, D or anyone else know what is going to happen the last two weeks of January.  Both posts are opinion. Do I decide which is trash based on my own opinion?   Not fair.  To be fair I can either leave both or delete both. Obviously, neither makes any sense. 

So where is the trash? IMO it is the posts of POSTERS E, F, G & H.  They turn one post they don't like and that can be scrolled past in a second or two, into 6 or 7 posts of often vitriolic rhetoric.  IMO, to clean up a thread, those are the posts that should be deleted.

I agree. You could also add posters B and C to the garbage list as they didn't really add anything to the conversation, in your scenario. I have no problem with either A or D, as long as they provide an interesting take or analysis other than "I feel it in my gut..." The maps, the models, the indices, and all associated intelligent discussion should be welcomed.

At the same time, I have not been granted moderator status on this weather board, so my comments should have been kept to myself. I should not have publicly called into question (or tacitly implied derision of) your moderating choices, jburns or buckeye or any other green-tagger. My apologies. You have a tough job, and I'm glad I don't have the daily responsibility of cleaning up these threads.

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Poster I is always my favorite. The voice of intellect. 

11 hours ago, calculus1 said:

At the same time, I have not been granted moderator status on this weather board, so my comments should have been kept to myself. I should not have publicly called into question (or tacitly implied derision of) your moderating choices, jburns or buckeye or any other green-tagger. My apologies. You have a tough job, and I'm glad I don't have the daily responsibility of cleaning up these threads.

I took your comments as a concern, not a criticism.  I actually chose yours to respond to because you used the word garbage. :)

On 12/23/2016 at 7:43 PM, superjames1992 said:

I believe that was the last measurable snowfall here, so I'll take a repeat, please.

SnowfallContoursandData.png

I was in Cape Carteret NC at the time and it was a powdery 19in. My first and only white Christmas. We made a monster snow man about 8ft tall. My uncle drove from Lillington NC so the roads must of not been too bad.

• jburns locked this topic

Archived