Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

On 12/16/2016 at 11:22 PM, Cold Rain said:

Just saw Rogue One.  Absolutely excellent!  A hundred light years better than any Star Wars movie since the original 3.  This is how you make a Star Wars movie, folks!

I thought it was good but a bit disjointed in parts. It felt like it was made more for Star Wars geeks.....I felt that TFA was a stronger in that the story felt more cohesive...but that Darth Vader scene...dear God. They did that as perfect as you could! 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/16/2016 at 5:22 PM, Cold Rain said:

Just saw Rogue One.  Absolutely excellent!  A hundred light years better than any Star Wars movie since the original 3.  This is how you make a Star Wars movie, folks!

I would agree with it being light years ahead of Ep's 1-3.

I will never be a fan of fully animated/CGI characters with human counterparts.

12 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I would agree with it being light years ahead of Ep's 1-3.

I will never be a fan of fully animated/CGI characters with human counterparts.

What's up man?!  Good to see you posting.  Hope you and the fam are doing well.  Yeah, I agree about the CGI stuff.  Way, way overdone in those movies.  Plus, I didn't really like the stories very much.

16 minutes ago, burgertime said:

I thought it was good but a bit disjointed in parts. It felt like it was made more for Star Wars geeks.....I felt that TFA was a stronger in that the story felt more cohesive...but that Darth Vader scene...dear God. They did that as perfect as you could! 

Yeah man, a couple of the more common critiques I've read had to do with the story shifting and the lack of robust character development/dialogue. But man, I thought the story really did an awesome job of illustrating the price paid for getting the plans.  And it really set A New Hope up well.  And YES.  That Darth Vader scene was perfect!  I'm glad they finally made a movie for SW geeks. :)

The thing about TFA for me was that we essentially just saw a retelling of episodes 4-6 in a lesser quality, all in the span of about an hour and a half.  There were other things that left me disappointed.  It was indeed a good movie, especially compared against 1-3.  But the disappointing thing is that it could have and should have been great.  There's no excuse ever for making a SW movie that isn't just great.

How are you man?  Things going well?

7 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

What's up man?!  Good to see you posting.  Hope you and the fam are doing well.  Yeah, I agree about the CGI stuff.  Way, way overdone in those movies.  Plus, I didn't really like the stories very much.

Overall, I feel like TFA was such a great addition to canon. R1 is also, just in a slightly more confusing way. Both were directed well.

As far as posting, I've just now recovered my password from when the site changed lol.

@buckeyefan1 I don't know what to say, other than I'm sorry to hear this and I will do an Adam's Apple extraction if you just point me in the right direction.

Looking back at some of my personal experiences in this area of NC.... We will probably never see another Jan 21, 1985 type of cold air outbreak. We will probably never see another cold month like Jan 1977. March 2,1980 type of blizzard most likely will not happen again in my lifetime. The Super-storm of 1993 or Hurricane Hugo in 1989 which was still had cat1 winds here in the foothills. We will never see a Christmas day as cold as 1983. As I get older, I realize how special it was to live through each one of these. The list of incredible weater events that I have seen continues to grow and I hope I get the chance to live long enough to see history repeat itself (except, of course, Hugo). Don't care to ever see that around here again.

5 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

Anyone remember the little surprise snow we had on this day two years ago? I was looking at my memories on Facebook and saw a post from Greg Fishel talking about how they totally missed that one. 

Yeah, that was a nice surprise. It's the only December snow I've seen since 2010.

Christmas is looking like torch city around here. 15 degrees above normal for Christmas night. Amazing how easy it is to get temps 15 degrees above normal but it takes a miracle to get it 15 below normal. If TWC is right, we won't have another freeze around here until at least Jan 3 ! Several nights in the next 2 weeks running 20+ degrees above normal.

15 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Christmas is looking like torch city around here. 15 degrees above normal for Christmas night. Amazing how easy it is to get temps 15 degrees above normal but it takes a miracle to get it 15 below normal. If TWC is right, we won't have another freeze around here until at least Jan 3 ! Several nights in the next 2 weeks running 20+ degrees above normal.

Thank god nobody lives in that hell hole

30 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I seriously doubt we wait until Jan 3rd for the next freeze after then. The models have been all over the place and it just takes one good CAD event to throw that forecast off.

5 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Well, we are already below freezing right now at 26 in my back yard. If this is a torch, I'll take it. Where is Carrollton?

4 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

We are 12 hours from the Winter Solstice ! Looking forward to longer evenings. The sun is already setting about 4 minutes later here than it was 2 weeks ago.

I hope we don't have to wait until January for snow!!!?? Those long days and higher sun angle will be a bi!ch!

:(

5 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

We are 12 hours from the Winter Solstice ! Looking forward to longer evenings. The sun is already setting about 4 minutes later here than it was 2 weeks ago.

Winters over kid. Pack your bags. Between sun angle, ground temp, and daylight hours we are already screwed.

4 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I really think January is going to be busy and we'll get at least one big storm here.

I don't know you, and I don't usually see you posting scientifically sound theorems, but that being said, I wholeheartedly agree with you. Like I should be talking about scientifically sound theorems... LOL. I'm lucky I even spelled that three word phrase correctly. LOL

As I recall from living here in Northeast NC since 1987 (and previously from 1974-1982), mid January to late February is usually our time for good winter storms. I had just turned 10 when the March 2-3, 1980 storm hit here and we got 25". It was amazing. We can get snow into April around here. It's rare, but it has happened.

• jburns locked this topic

Archived