jburns

4 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Accurite sucks, from my own experiences

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Maybe some bath water sloshed on it?

It was hilarious! It's like he didn't even look at the maps/graphics before he was starting the video! There was so much orange and red over the US and Canada, it looked like a bloodbath! There was a pocket of blue over the South, he was quick to point out that was wrong, of course! He was in shock!!

18 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

It was hilarious! It's like he didn't even look at the maps/graphics before he was starting the video! There was so much orange and red over the US and Canada, it looked like a bloodbath! There was a pocket of blue over the South, he was quick to point out that was wrong, of course! He was in shock!!

The CFS is only somewhat valid on the last day of the month....unless of course it's showing a lot of red, in which case it's a lock!

FWIW Folks, before once again retreating into my cave where at lest it's cool damp and dark (LOL) -

With nothing much to get excited about, I thank all of you for the humor and banter in an otherwise dismal situation. Hopefully the good nature keeps up into 2017 ('cause we'll need it, I'm afraid).

Anyway - heartfelt Thanks!

1 hour ago, pcbjr said:

I've seen more snow in Suches and at Woody Gap on 19 before Suches coming from Dahlonega and at Hog Pen on the Richard Russell than anywhere else in N GA - if it's gonna snow in N GA those are the three most "for sure" places

you got that right.  i can see woody gap from my house and many times it will be white with snow while nothing here, or only flurries.    I love to drive up there to Suches ( i think its only like 16 miles from Dahlonega (but takes about 30 minutes) and go to their gas station (thats about all there is) and get some Hunt Bros pizza.  But someone told me it was closed currently i hope thats just temporary.   Often times I start out in the rain or nothing coming down but about halfway up the mountain, sure enough, start seeing flakes.  I have had some scary drives on wolfpen gap going from there toward vogel.   Also used to go on the forest service roads between 5 points (you ever been on winding stair?) and cooper gap, which is also about 3k elevation, but I'm getting where I leave that for the younger and crazier these days. 

1 hour ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I'd like to see his live feed. What time is it and how do I find it ? I'm also on the southside of Dahlonega by about a mile and its 35 here also.

Edit: Nevermind, I see his facebook page Dahlonega Weather. 

yep. 7pm. hopefully Moto is ok with me publicizing it.  DahlonegaWeather on facebook and he is going to be making snow hopefully in his yard. 

2 minutes ago, NGTim said:

you got that right.  i can see woody gap from my house and many times it will be white with snow while nothing here, or only flurries.    I love to drive up there to Suches ( i think its only like 16 miles from Dahlonega (but takes about 30 minutes) and go to their gas station (thats about all there is) and get some Hunt Bros pizza.  But someone told me it was closed currently i hope thats just temporary.   Often times I start out in the rain or nothing coming down but about halfway up the mountain, sure enough, start seeing flakes.  I have had some scary drives on wolfpen gap going from there toward vogel.   Also used to go on the forest service roads between 5 points (you ever been on winding stair?) and cooper gap, which is also about 3k elevation, but I'm getting where I leave that for the younger and crazier these days. 

At least coming up the other way from Turner's Corner there is the truck emergency ramp before Neels Gap = used that a couple of times!

Just now, pcbjr said:

At least coming up the other way from Turner's Corner there is the truck emergency ramp before Neels Gap = used that a couple of times!

wow my daughter asks if people actually have to use that.  I'll tell her I "know" someone who has.   I was at Neels gap last weekend and we met a SOBO through hiker who only had a few more days to go  (except for the parts she had to miss due to the wildfires, which she was concerned about when she was going to make that up).

2 minutes ago, NGTim said:

wow my daughter asks if people actually have to use that.  I'll tell her I "know" someone who has.   I was at Neels gap last weekend and we met a SOBO through hiker who only had a few more days to go  (except for the parts she had to miss due to the wildfires, which she was concerned about when she was going to make that up).

3 - 6" of snow on top of ice with a wife and kids in the SUV - it's been done a few times - I assure you!

47 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

All this negativity is really getting old. We need to put back some positive energy into this forum.

If it helps I saw a really big solid black wooly worm today in the Walmart parking lot.  One lady and man were taking a picture of it cause they said they never saw one so fat.  They scooped him up and moved him to bushes

So guys and gals, I'm thinking of getting a personal wx station. I can't afford a Davis Pro, so my choices are basically AcuRite or La Crosse.

I've been browsing for awhile and I've seemed to come down to these two. Any thoughts on which would be better?

La Crosse: https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-330-2315-Underground-Suitable/dp/B01MRT2NSO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1481761714&sr=8-10&keywords=weather+station+with+wind+speed&refinements=p_89%3ADAVIS+INSTRUMENTS|La+Crosse+Technology

AcuRite: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01057RM-Weather-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B011VG6YDI/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00T0K8MN8&pd_rd_r=BS7XBVNGTDM6RXG0D19W&pd_rd_w=zEtsi&pd_rd_wg=fY0HW&refRID=BS7XBVNGTDM6RXG0D19W&th=1

Any help would be appreciated! @jburns @Jon @packbacker @Cold Rain @griteater @Wow

I've heard really good things about Ambient Weather products, but their top products can run into Davis territory.

With that said, I've also heard good things about AcuRite and a friend of mine has no complaint with his. With the technology available you really can't go wrong, you just have to decide the features you want/parameters you want to obs, etc.

I'd honestly do what you could to save for a Davis, there's just no comparison and if you're gonna shell out $200 might as well save some money each week and get the $300 needed to be worry free of how your station will hold up. But, if that's not an option, I believe in AcuRite products for hobbyists and weather underground utilization. You're not collecting data for NASA. lol

So guys and gals, I'm thinking of getting a personal wx station. I can't afford a Davis Pro, so my choices are basically AcuRite or La Crosse.

I've been browsing for awhile and I've seemed to come down to these two. Any thoughts on which would be better?

La Crosse: https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Technology-330-2315-Underground-Suitable/dp/B01MRT2NSO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1481761714&sr=8-10&keywords=weather+station+with+wind+speed&refinements=p_89%3ADAVIS+INSTRUMENTS|La+Crosse+Technology

AcuRite: https://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-01057RM-Weather-Environment-Monitoring/dp/B011VG6YDI/ref=pd_rhf_dp_s_cp_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00T0K8MN8&pd_rd_r=BS7XBVNGTDM6RXG0D19W&pd_rd_w=zEtsi&pd_rd_wg=fY0HW&refRID=BS7XBVNGTDM6RXG0D19W&th=1

Any help would be appreciated! @jburns @Jon @packbacker @Cold Rain @griteater @Wow

I've heard really good things about Ambient Weather products, but their top products can run into Davis territory.

With that said, I've also heard good things about AcuRite and a friend of mine has no complaint with his. With the technology available you really can't go wrong, you just have to decide the features you want/parameters you want to obs, etc.

I'd honestly do what you could to save for a Davis, there's just no comparison and if you're gonna shell out $200 might as well save some money each week and get the $300 needed to be worry free of how your station will hold up. But, if that's not an option, I believe in AcuRite products for hobbyists and weather underground utilization. You're not collecting data for NASA. lol

Unfortunately, I don't have any good input on a weather station, so I would defer to Jon.  My mother in law thought it would be a good idea to buy me a "weather station".  It probably cost about $15.  I have no idea what the outside temperature is.  Never buy a weather guy a weather product unless they specifically ask for that specific item specifically.  That ought to be a rule or something.

9 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Unfortunately, I don't have any good input on a weather station, so I would defer to Jon.  My mother in law thought it would be a good idea to buy me a "weather station".  It probably cost about $15.  I have no idea what the outside temperature is.  Never buy a weather guy a weather product unless they specifically ask for that specific item specifically.  That ought to be a rule or something.

Yeah, totally agree! 

Same goes for fishermen, unless you want to end up with a "Frozen" rod and reel combo! :)

I just wanted to say that our judicial system still sucks monkey balls. Today the person that stabbed my nephew 23 times in the back, was found guilty of murder and will serve 50 years. The jury returned the verdict in 12 minutes....he'll be 67 when he gets out....yea....you can kill someone and still walk out of prison. Out of the 5 "adults" there that night, this is the first one sentenced............ I miss him :(   

Sorry for the OT/PR rant.....I shouldn't have finished the bottle of wine

I used to watch and read Joe Badtardi, but I swear, his schtick is getting old. He's constantly spewing garbage about east coast cold and nothing ever comes to fruition. He makes Twitter posts with graphics of whichever model supports his cold east agenda which are pure clickbait. I'm over his "bathtub theory" of cold. It's an unscientific hypothesis with no peer reviewed evidence to support his theories. That guy will hold onto a cold winter forecast until the following summer and then will never admit he was wrong.

Looks rather convincing for much above normal and much dryer than normal for the next 16 days. That sucks beyond measure. We can't escape the drought before summer 2017 this way...We need to be in the baroclinic zone, at least. I don't even care about snow or cold at this point. But no rain and warm (mid 60's to mid 70's) is not conducive to drought recovery in the winter time.

• jburns locked this topic

Archived