Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

7 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

Some of us care about upstream obs in north-west NC...and the northern foothills here are usually on par with his area. I'm sure he cares about warm noses too upstream or down however you wanna view it that scream up past Mount Airy w/ sleet and freezing rain.

Absolutely. Frosty and I live basically in the same area. I'm a few miles over the border and I rely on him and the ones in the triad a lot in the obs thread.

I mean look, I'm posting in the sub forum that covers my area. That's all it comes down to.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FWIW....I expect some widespread ice. Duke Energy foresters Wesley Frick and Rick Owens came to the northern foothills after complaints of tree cutting 50-60feet instead of 10feet. Word of mouth says they expect damaging ice...in response to their ugly tree cutting practices downtown. One of my friends is county commissioner and I got some off the record briefing. The district manager of Duke also came in to talk.

Full public article below. 

http://www.journalpatriot.com/news/tree-trimming-decried/article_a80eca86-bcb2-11e6-b09e-2b2da0cc428a.html

47 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

Absolutely. Frosty and I live basically in the same area. I'm a few miles over the border and I rely on him and the ones in the triad a lot in the obs thread.

I mean look, I'm posting in the sub forum that covers my area. That's all it comes down to.

Jonathan,

You are welcome here anytime.... I rely on your obvs to determine whether or not we have dews low enough up-stream to support a CAD event. Not to mention the rain/snow line.

14 minutes ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Jonathan,

You are welcome here anytime.... I rely on your obvs to determine whether or not we have dews low enough up-stream to support a CAD event. Not to mention the rain/snow line.

Thanks man. I definitely live in the heart of the CAD wedge when the time comes. My location is always in the dead-center of the wedge when you look at the 850s or surface temps. But rest assured, I get just as much sleet as you guys across the border!

10 minutes ago, Poimen said:

Some of ya'll could use some Christmas spirit,  or special eggnog one. ;)

Indeed. I have the 'nog chilling as we speak. I do not intend any ill will towards anyone, not even Brick. My sarcasm was just mistaken for seriousness. We all love winter and we all love snow. But we all have different levels of optimism and pessimism, so there's a balance we must attain. ;) 

Non met lurker. Been around a few years.

I enjoy reading the forums even when I don't understand the science.

I enjoy the jokes, when I get them (maybe 50% of the time). 

But those of you with bias either way (the super negative ones AND the ones wishing for an unlikely snow) betray your lack of true objectivity when you start putting each other down.

I also understand you're not posting for my entertainment, just making an observation.

Meanwhile, question from a FL transplant who sometimes considers it myself ... do any of you all ever consider moving somewhere that snow isn't a lottery-win situation? Believe me, I feel the angst every winter and it's tempting.

9 minutes ago, thess said:

Meanwhile, question from a FL transplant who sometimes considers it myself ... do any of you all ever consider moving somewhere that snow isn't a lottery-win situation? Believe me, I feel the angst every winter and it's tempting.

Thought about it? Sure. But I love the foothills. I always joke about moving to Minnesota, then I remember how much I love the Outer Banks in the summer. I'm within chase distance of winter storms and hurricanes. Don't think I could actually trade it in for a guaranteed good winter every year. Thing about snow in the south: it's a novelty. I don't think we'd love the thrill of the chase as much if we knew it were going to happen. It's almost like magic. I mean, look at this board. A bunch of crazy guys and gals coming together to discuss snow every winter. Whether it be fussing, arguing, complaining or actually enjoying the weather; snow still brings us all together. :lol: 

8 hours ago, thess said:

Non met lurker. Been around a few years.

I enjoy reading the forums even when I don't understand the science.

I enjoy the jokes, when I get them (maybe 50% of the time). 

But those of you with bias either way (the super negative ones AND the ones wishing for an unlikely snow) betray your lack of true objectivity when you start putting each other down.

I also understand you're not posting for my entertainment, just making an observation.

I only post for the entertainment value...

15 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Why are you so butthurt? I don't receive much more, if any, snow than Greensboro, Winston Salem or Mt Airy. Southern VA's climate is the same as northern NC and totally different from Richmond-Roanoke north. Get over it.

I agree with you, here in Danville, our weather is most like Greensboro, although we do stick to freezing precip a little longer it seem, we are about 45 miles to the north north east after all. in the northern parts of Pittsylvania county they tend to stick to snow longer due to the rise in elevation

10 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

It's only Dec 8 and the negativity from a couple of folks is already getting old. 

That's what 8 months of 20 degree above normal days and 8 months with only an inch of rain of rain total! I think if most on here don't see any frozen precip this winter, it could turn into pandemonium in here!

At least we're seeing threats, and it's already showing up before the middle of December. That's a lot better than last winter. I really like our chances. Reminds me a lot of the winter of 2010-2011 when we started seeing threats show up in December. Not saying we'll get another Christmas storm, but I think seeing these threats and close calls showing up already is a good sign.

Just now, Jonathan said:

'Tis the season.

How's the wx across the pond? Looks like the LR GFS gives you guys a little cold shot after D10 or so.

Well was in Prague over the weekend and it was around 30 for a high...even got some light snow and freezing fog on Sunday. Been in Berlin working this week and it's been hovering around 35 - 40 most days. Warming up for the weekend, in which I'll be back in Amsterdam. I'll be working mostly out of Berlin over the winter so hoping to see some good snow. Amsterdam usually just gets around 10 - 15 minutes of a heavy flurry which melts on the ground...so a lot like Charlotte haha. 

1 minute ago, burgertime said:

Well was in Prague over the weekend and it was around 30 for a high...even got some light snow and freezing fog on Sunday. Been in Berlin working this week and it's been hovering around 35 - 40 most days. Warming up for the weekend, in which I'll be back in Amsterdam. I'll be working mostly out of Berlin over the winter so hoping to see some good snow. Amsterdam usually just gets around 10 - 15 minutes of a heavy flurry which melts on the ground...so a lot like Charlotte haha. 

That's awesome, man. Making moves in Europe. Take care of yourself over there! I've always wanted to visit the Alps.

2 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

That's awesome, man. Making moves in Europe. Take care of yourself over there! I've always wanted to visit the Alps.

Make the trip, and you'll have a free place to stay if you're around Amsterdam. I'll probably end up around the Alps in Feb as I have a friend living in Austria right now. When I was in Switzerland it was breathtaking. 

1 hour ago, Brick Tamland said:

It's only Dec 8 and the negativity from a couple of folks is already getting old. 

Don't start this crap.  If we blocked people whose posts got old, you would have been gone years ago. An overly pessimistic view toward winter is as valid as an overly optimistic one. In fact in these parts, if I had to bet my own money I'd go with pessimistic every time.

16 minutes ago, jburns said:

Don't start this crap.  If we blocked people whose posts got old, you would have been gone years ago. An overly pessimistic view toward winter is as valid as an overly optimistic one. In fact in these parts, if I had to bet my own money I'd go with pessimistic every time.

I posted it in the banter thread. Geez. Just saying it's a little early for the doom and gloom already. Not sure it deserved this tone.

13 minutes ago, jburns said:

Pessimism? Most definitely. Optimism? Once in a great while. Winter in the SE is always rain chasing cold or cold chasing rain. It takes nearly perfect setups to get memorable storms and iffy setups that overperform to get nice small snows.

9 minutes ago, Jonathang16 said:

I am new to this forum from another forum.  I am in Cherokee County, GA.  I hope all of our states get some snow this year. 

I was checking to see if there are any Georgia meteorologist that is also on this forum?  

Yes, deltadog03 from Macon. He starts posting usually when threats begin to materialize. 

• jburns locked this topic

Archived