Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

You would think that if the higher elevations of Hawaii can get 3 feet of snow that we could at least get a few flurries in Georgia ! I just looked up the climate for Mauna Kea, at 13,800' in elevation, and the coldest they've ever been is 12. Heck, we've been as cold as  -17 in Georgia.

combine that with insane orographic lifting tho... although there are spots in SE Alaska that receive more snow in a year that we receive in a decade, and have all time record lows just barely under 0 Fahrenheit. 'Magine it's the ocean effect, like west coast of Japan... another place that probably gets way more snow than North Georgia, but not as historically cold. Like I said ten years ago, if Kentucky were just another Great Lake, we'd be sitting pretty.

16 minutes ago, whamby said:

combine that with insane orographic lifting tho... although there are spots in SE Alaska that receive more snow in a year that we receive in a decade, and have all time record lows just barely under 0 Fahrenheit. 'Magine it's the ocean effect, like west coast of Japan... another place that probably gets way more snow than North Georgia, but not as historically cold. Like I said ten years ago, if Kentucky were just another Great Lake, we'd be sitting pretty.

It's just not fair that God decided to put the Great Lakes in an area that already gets plenty of snow as it is. We could definitely use a Giant great lake somewhere not too far north of here because lord knows we need all the help we can get !

7 hours ago, Jon said:

Looks like 12/5-6th snow didn't work out....go figure.

This is why you look at temps closer to the surface and the euro and not just the 540 line on the gfs. They even had to issue a special weather statement for Surry/Wilkes. If you want me to help you read soundings I can just shoot me a PM no problem I have plenty of educational links.

Grandfather-Mtn-snow-Dec-4-2016-1.jpg

26 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

This is why you look at temps closer to the surface and the euro and not just the 540 line on the gfs. They even had to issue a special weather statement for Surry/Wilkes. If you want me to help you read soundings I can just shoot me a PM no problem I have plenty of educational links.

No thanks.

Which do you prefer,,

Crippling ice storm?

White out during rush hour?

Tornado?

Hurricane?

Just reading through main thread and we hear it every year about ice storms. To me all of the above have the potential to be deadly without proper preparation and warning. Myself I don't mind an ice storm. I'm prepared. I don't get out and drive in it and have a generator. Cut down 14 trees that could damage the house in wind or ice.

I'd take any type of winter storm over a tornado or hurricane.

42 minutes ago, NWNC2015 said:

I think that most of us on here already know how to read soundings. Thanks anyway...

1 hour ago, oconeexman said:

Which do you prefer,,

Crippling ice storm?

White out during rush hour?

Tornado?

Hurricane?

Just reading through main thread and we hear it every year about ice storms. To me all of the above have the potential to be deadly without proper preparation and warning. Myself I don't mind an ice storm. I'm prepared. I don't get out and drive in it and have a generator. Cut down 14 trees that could damage the house in wind or ice.

I'd take any type of winter storm over a tornado or hurricane.

There are two weather phenomena that I don't care for: lightning and tornadoes, basically because both can kill me without any appreciable warning. 

3 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

Sigh.  I'd go through your posts and call you out but it's not worth it, everyone knows your reputation around here.

13 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

We will have above normal griping this winter.

What will really suck is even if we see a good storm and a lot of folks get a decent thump, those same people will still whine and gripe about the models or worse whine and gripe about people whining and griping about the models...I am strangely optimistic concerning the Dec 15th over running event if we can get it to go more east offshore and not get so close it might be a decent little event for NC at least......its not even in the wheelhouse of typical SE snowfall threat timeframes so anything before Xmas is pure butter really....

1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

H8rs gonna h8 B):lol:

Here come all the "you live in the mid Atlantic" posts, even though, LITERALLY in the description of this sub-forum it says "covering southern Virginia..."

My climate is more similar to Greensboro than anywhere north of there.

Well, since you think December is going to suck, no use coming back until January.

200.gif#9

9 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

H8rs gonna h8 B):lol:

Here come all the "you live in the mid Atlantic" posts, even though, LITERALLY in the description of this sub-forum it says "covering southern Virginia..."

My climate is more similar to Greensboro than anywhere north of there.

Yeah i'm not sure why a southeastern forum would cover any part of VA, but whatever. I think most people would consider VA to be in the mid-atlantic. You can't say half of VA is in the mid-atlantic and the other half is in the southeast. But i'm sure it makes you feel better posting in the southeast forum since you will almost always get more snow than the rest of us (outside of the higher elevations) .If you posted in the mid-atlantic forum you would always feel like you got the short end of the stick.

24 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

What will really suck is even if we see a good storm and a lot of folks get a decent thump, those same people will still whine and gripe about the models or worse whine and gripe about people whining and griping about the models...I am strangely optimistic concerning the Dec 15th over running event if we can get it to go more east offshore and not get so close it might be a decent little event for NC at least......its not even in the wheelhouse of typical SE snowfall threat timeframes so anything before Xmas is pure butter really....

Haha true.

20 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Yeah i'm not sure why a southeastern forum would cover any part of VA, but whatever. I think most people would consider VA to be in the mid-atlantic. You can't say half of VA is in the mid-atlantic and the other half is in the southeast. But i'm sure it makes you feel better posting in the southeast forum since you will almost always get more snow than the rest of us (outside of the higher elevations) .If you posted in the mid-atlantic forum you would always feel like you got the short end of the stick.

I detect no jealousy whatsoever in your post, just pure concern for the sanctity of regional boundaries.

53 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

Well, since you think December is going to suck, no use coming back until January.

200.gif#9

Ok, internet tough guy. I see you're quite the keyboard warrior. Please continue to humor me.

Anyway, my comment to Lithia about winter sucking was SARCASTIC (because he was being negative about the potential wintry event next week) but obviously some here aren't intelligent enough to distinguish sarcasm from seriousness.

But I digress.

37 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Why are you so butthurt? I don't receive much more, if any, snow than Greensboro, Winston Salem or Mt Airy. Southern VA's climate is the same as northern NC and totally different from Richmond-Roanoke north. Get over it.

46 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Some of us care about upstream obs in north-west NC...and the northern foothills here are usually on par with his area. I'm sure he cares about warm noses too upstream or down however you wanna view it that scream up past Mount Airy w/ sleet and freezing rain.

• jburns locked this topic

Archived