Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

2 hours ago, Avdave said:

Wow that will shake things up some. Hope she is ok Jburns

Heard from her. She is fine and now so is my wife.  lol   Got jolted out of bed just after 4am.  Knocked things off of her dresser and shelves but nothing more than that.  She has been feeling aftershocks since.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, jburns said:

Heard from her. She is fine and now so is my wife.  lol   Got jolted out of bed just after 4am.  Knocked things off of her dresser and shelves but nothing more than that.  She has been feeling aftershocks since.

Give me hurricanes over earthquakes any day at least we can see the canes coming.....

1 hour ago, jburns said:

Thats good and Im sure it is even better now that the mrs is ok with everything :)   Yeah that would wake me up for sure.

On 8/31/2016 at 5:17 PM, Snowless in Carrollton said:

71 straight days that ATL has failed to get below 70 degrees. That pretty much obliterates the old record. Also, 74 days of 90+. 16 more days to go to tie the record.

That low temp streak is amazing. I have to go back and look but Im sure I'll hit the 100 day mark of 90 degree days this coming week. Athens has had 86 so far and Iast I checked I had a modest handful more. Just can not express how sick of hot weather I am...fall will be nice but i'm absolutely dying for a winter storm 

Hey everyone, just thought I'd check in.

Excited for this winter because I finished undergrad and now am in business school at Wake Forest. Considering I've spent my life being jealous of the Triad it'll be nice to live in Winston-Salem -- and on the NW edge of the city to boot!

Man, this 70 degree cloudy day feels nice.

4 hours ago, Lookout said:

That low temp streak is amazing. I have to go back and look but Im sure I'll hit the 100 day mark of 90 degree days this coming week. Athens has had 86 so far and Iast I checked I had a modest handful more. Just can not express how sick of hot weather I am...fall will be nice but i'm absolutely dying for a winter storm 

What's even more amazing is the old record was 55 days. I'm so sick of summer too and looking at the forecast for next week makes me want to throw up. Enough with the 90s already. Enough is enough !

Mysterious Anomaly Interrupts Stratospheric Wind Pattern

For the first time, scientists have observed a deviation from the typical alternating pattern of easterly and westerly winds in the equatorial stratosphere.
SOURCE: Geophysical Research Letters

The stratosphere, seen here as the blue region above the red-orange troposphere, sports a mysterious wind anomaly in its quasi-biennial oscillation, scientists say.

The weather we experience on Earth typically occurs in the troposphere, the lowest layer of the atmosphere. But the stratosphere, which envelops the planet just above the troposphere, is home to winds of its own. In a new study, Newman et al. report an anomalous interruption in an otherwise reliable stratospheric wind pattern known as the quasi-biennial oscillation.

Each cycle of the quasi-biennial oscillation begins with strong westerly winds that flow through the stratosphere in a belt around the equator. Over the course of about 1 year, these winds gradually weaken and descend in altitude to the lower stratosphere as easterly winds replace them. These easterly winds slowly sink and weaken, too, as westerly winds return. The cycle repeats roughly once every 28 months.

Since 1953, scientists have observed equatorial winds by instruments known as radiosondes, which are carried skyward by weather balloons. The quasi-biennial oscillation was discovered in the early 1960s. Although the timing of each cycle has sometimes varied by a few months, the pattern as a whole has remained uninterrupted—until now.

Using radiosonde data from several equatorial locations around the world, the scientists discovered that the quasi-biennial oscillation began to deviate from its usual pattern in late 2015. At that time, westerly winds were descending in altitude and should have continued to sink and weaken as easterlies replaced them.

Instead, the westerly winds shifted upward and seemed to cut off the descent of high-altitude easterlies before they could begin their usual dominance. Additional easterly winds developed at lower altitudes in the stratosphere, beneath the rising westerlies. However, by June, the westerlies appeared to have resumed their normal descent.

The researchers plan to continue analyzing wind and temperature data to determine what caused this anomaly and what its implications may be. Their investigation will include an exploration of possible connections with the 2015–2016 El Niño and climate change. (Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1002/2016GL070373, 2016)

—Sarah Stanley, Freelance Writer

https://eos.org/research-spotlights/mysterious-anomaly-interrupts-stratospheric-wind-pattern

8 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

Mysterious Anomaly Interrupts Stratospheric Wind Pattern

For the first time, scientists have observed a deviation from the typical alternating pattern of easterly and westerly winds in the equatorial stratosphere.
SOURCE: Geophysical Research Letters

The stratosphere, seen here as the blue region above the red-orange troposphere, sports a mysterious wind anomaly in its quasi-biennial oscillation, scientists say.

The weather we experience on Earth typically occurs in the troposphere, the lowest layer of the atmosphere. But the stratosphere, which envelops the planet just above the troposphere, is home to winds of its own. In a new study, Newman et al. report an anomalous interruption in an otherwise reliable stratospheric wind pattern known as the quasi-biennial oscillation.

Each cycle of the quasi-biennial oscillation begins with strong westerly winds that flow through the stratosphere in a belt around the equator. Over the course of about 1 year, these winds gradually weaken and descend in altitude to the lower stratosphere as easterly winds replace them. These easterly winds slowly sink and weaken, too, as westerly winds return. The cycle repeats roughly once every 28 months.

Since 1953, scientists have observed equatorial winds by instruments known as radiosondes, which are carried skyward by weather balloons. The quasi-biennial oscillation was discovered in the early 1960s. Although the timing of each cycle has sometimes varied by a few months, the pattern as a whole has remained uninterrupted—until now.

Using radiosonde data from several equatorial locations around the world, the scientists discovered that the quasi-biennial oscillation began to deviate from its usual pattern in late 2015. At that time, westerly winds were descending in altitude and should have continued to sink and weaken as easterlies replaced them.

Instead, the westerly winds shifted upward and seemed to cut off the descent of high-altitude easterlies before they could begin their usual dominance. Additional easterly winds developed at lower altitudes in the stratosphere, beneath the rising westerlies. However, by June, the westerlies appeared to have resumed their normal descent.

The researchers plan to continue analyzing wind and temperature data to determine what caused this anomaly and what its implications may be. Their investigation will include an exploration of possible connections with the 2015–2016 El Niño and climate change. (Geophysical Research Letters, doi:10.1002/2016GL070373, 2016)

—Sarah Stanley, Freelance Writer

https://eos.org/research-spotlights/mysterious-anomaly-interrupts-stratospheric-wind-pattern

Someone farted.

4 hours ago, Isopycnic said:

Becoming a member of cocorahs isn't red tag worthy.

Try NOAA researcher. I look forward to providing top notch high definition extensive weather summaries this winter on the pattern. I will explain why the long range ghost storms will falter and why there is an elevated risk for at least one 6" or greater storm for areas north of i40 and west of i77. Stay tuned as I will stand out with other great red taggers for years to come.

14212729_1105112339581759_21857363664077

14203267_1089300884457664_53186666705361

14 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

Try NOAA researcher. I look forward to providing top notch high definition extensive weather summaries this winter on the pattern. I will explain why the long range ghost storms will falter and why there is an elevated risk for at least one 6" or greater storm for areas north of i40 and west of i77. Stay tuned as I will stand out with other great red taggers for years to come.

14212729_1105112339581759_21857363664077

14203267_1089300884457664_53186666705361

Nice photoshop.

14212729_1105112339581759_2185736366407783456_n.jpg?oh=c213d74bc1d35af02ddea7fc8960c682%26oe=584BCB47&key=ad480249655c617df81e6523ecb42dced2641755c68e439d8ed90288c20d1d90

14203267_1089300884457664_5318666670536119132_n.jpg?oh=6f782fbb480c321aaa854f3fffc26438%26oe=58405C81&key=1072461abc1090b350351b38307b2ba86f351f460c6b523944865e4c44a6e86c

If nothing else, this pic confirms that Wilkesdude and NWNC2015 are the same poster. As we assumed...

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

• jburns locked this topic

Archived