SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2016 General Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lmao at DTW's "76F". I have been leary of their very frequent 2-3F intra-hour highs for sometime now, but this takes the cake. A 5F intra hour bump? Sounds logical. Everytime there is one of these unrealistic intra hour bumps, I check the wunderground station at 94/275 (ie right at the airport basically) and every single time its the same result. The wungerground station (which updates every 10 minutes at least) basically mirrors DTW temps, but during the hour when the obligatory spike occurs at DTW, there is absolutely no evidence of this at the wunderground station (or any other regional stations for that matter). If it happened once, twice, or five times is one thing, but this is another thing all-together. I guess downsloping only occurs specifically at the weather station of DTW, not other nearby areas :huh:. It truly needs to be looked at by the NWS, and if its absolutely nothing with the min/max sensor, then the thermometer needs to be moved, because its giving a false representation of high temps.

Here are todays hourly temps

12pm – 70

01pm – 71

02pm – 72 (6-hr max 73)

03pm – 71

04pm – 70

05pm – 71

06pm – 67

07pm – 67

08pm – 66 (6-hr max 76)

lmao at DTW's "76F". I have been leary of their very frequent 2-3F intra-hour highs for sometime now, but this takes the cake. A 5F intra hour bump? Sounds logical. Everytime there is one of these unrealistic intra hour bumps, I check the wunderground station at 94/275 (ie right at the airport basically) and every single time its the same result. The wungerground station (which updates every 10 minutes at least) basically mirrors DTW temps, but during the hour when the obligatory spike occurs at DTW, there is absolutely no evidence of this at the wunderground station (or any other regional stations for that matter). If it happened once, twice, or five times is one thing, but this is another thing all-together. I guess downsloping only occurs specifically at the weather station of DTW, not other nearby areas :huh:. It truly needs to be looked at by the NWS, and if its absolutely nothing with the min/max sensor, then the thermometer needs to be moved, because its giving a false representation of high temps.

Here are todays hourly temps

12pm – 70

01pm – 71

02pm – 72 (6-hr max 73)

03pm – 71

04pm – 70

05pm – 71

06pm – 67

07pm – 67

08pm – 66 (6-hr max 76)

I was here then, it was 73-74 most of that hour and the sun was out, the clouds moved in right before the hourly went out and the temp dropped off quickly with the weak front that came through along with a couple weak showers that did miss here. No conspiracy from what I saw watching the ASOS.

Boring stretch of nice weather. I would normally be out on the course, but I doubt I can talk my wife into that with a 3 day old.

Congratulation!

Yeah, you might need to put off golfing for a little while. ;)

Cool night tonight - 52/51° currently.

I was here then, it was 73-74 most of that hour and the sun was out, the clouds moved in right before the hourly went out and the temp dropped off quickly with the weak front that came through along with a couple weak showers that did miss here. No conspiracy from what I saw watching the ASOS.

Again not saying it's conspiracy....just that there's something funky about thermometer or thermometer placement. Especially since this didn't used to happen, and since it isnt happening at nearby stations. It's one thing to be YIP (who hit 98 two days ago) or ARB (who hit 40 this morning) but DTW is a first order, major climate station.

Again not saying it's conspiracy....just that there's something funky about thermometer or thermometer placement. Especially since this didn't used to happen, and since it isnt happening at nearby stations. It's one thing to be YIP (who hit 98 two days ago) or ARB (who hit 40 this morning) but DTW is a first order, major climate station.

The thermometer hasn't moved since it was put in over 20 years ago. The thermometer itself rarely does anything funky except when we have super heavy precip days, where the dew point will try and pass the temperature, but that is more of a function of the dew point sensor having issues with too much moisture.

41 earlier here at my place.  numerous 30's reported and even a freeze, 30 degrees at Doe Lake.

I remember you mentioning Doe Lake last summer due to a really low temp. Looks like that location is in a slight depression at over 1500 feet surrounded by pine forest. Makes sense that they're the ice box of the UP.

A milder 50° here overnight.

I remember you mentioning Doe Lake last summer due to a really low temp. Looks like that location is in a slight depression at over 1500 feet surrounded by pine forest. Makes sense that they're the ice box of the UP.

A milder 50° here overnight.

Yeah they are often the cold spot, and there's Baraga plains in the western UP that's a real cold spot. Both areas are heavy in pine and withstand the Summer frosts and the occasional freeze well. Very unpopulated as well.

Hmm, usually you're on the Euro train.

the days of death ridges building far enough east for us to torch are over

I don't buy this, I know we have been in perpetual NW flow but the pattern has changed, hell the ridge just noses in this weekend and we have 3 days of 90 degree weather and it is only June.

Plus if you believe the GFS then you believe in days of cutoff spinning in the east. Why would that be more believable than days of ridging in the summer.

Alek talking out his booty hole again

ecmwf_T850_us_11.png

Picked up another 0.37" of rain this morning.  I wasn't expecting anything, so when I woke up to the sound of raindrops hitting the roof at 3:15am(my brain is programmed to wake up with the first drop or rumble) I had to run out to get the gauge set up and prepare the downspouts.  I'm up to 8.44" for the month.

Archived