• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Active Severe Weather Pattern Beginning Next Week

Jim Martin

Skywarn feed just reported multiple spots between Abilene and Chapman of train tracks that are gone. Spotter saw it too, and didn't realize what it was. Notifying trains to stop.

Ripped the rails from the ground?? or rail bridges that are out?  Taking rails off the ground takes some significant force.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is this even possible..........

If it takes out a bridge or something it could continue ripping them up.  The rails are spiked down but they're connected with heavy duty steel connectors so the rails are effectively linked.  If the tornado found a place to rip them up it could theoretically pop them like a zipper...

If it takes out a bridge or something it could continue ripping them up.  The rails are spiked down but they're connected with heavy duty steel connectors so the rails are effectively linked.  If the tornado found a place to rip them up it could theoretically pop them like a zipper...

Still takes incredible winds directly at the surface, within an inch or so of the ground.

Is it downloadable?  I've seen folks using it and obviously don't have it in my GR2A if it's a custom table.

NROT product itself? Not sure about the newer versions (I have 1.92) but it should come with the program package with a default color table.

If the railroad tracks reports are true, this is a phenomenon that I have only heard of associated with the most violent of historic tornado events. This kind of phenomenon was reported with the Tri-State and Ferguson Falls tornadoes.

Tracks are much better built now. This is a major transcontinental freight line. The track in the area is top of the line. It will have continuous welded rail that is probably 136lb/yard. This means that there are very few joints to act as weak spots. Back during Ferguson Falls and the Tri State track was not as well constructed.

Archived