Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Active Severe Weather Pattern Beginning Next Week

Jim Martin

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bingo.

Speed shear, directional shear are a function of both direction and magnitude. Of course having 50 knots at 850 helps, but obviously therected are other ways to get it done. I don't think there was a boundary for augmentation anyway.

Right.  15 kts at the surface and 35 kts at 850 in a similar direction might give you the same shear magnitude as 5 kts at the surface and 25 kts at 850, with a lot of veering. 

I guess I should've added that, I was unable to find a later sounding and I neglected to state that I was aware of the potential inaccuracy, but it was the best I had.

00 Soundings should come out soon.  The sort of "best guess" of what a sounding might look like is typically one taken from the RAP analysis (though I'm starting to find out that these can be pretty bad too).

College of dupage website has a good "point and click" interface with the RAP, so you can point to a location on a map at a given time and get a forecast sounding.  If you want an approximately current sounding, find the most recently initialized RAP run and look at the forecast hour that corresponds to the current time.

bingo.

Speed shear, directional shear are a function of both direction and magnitude. Of course having 50 knots at 850 helps, but obviously therected are other ways to get it done. I don't think there was a boundary for augmentation anyway.

The SPC mesoanalysis Velocity Tensor Magnitude product is worth a look sometimes, it's designed to detect boundaries. Note the bullseye. There was something going on there.

post-7308-0-22657500-1463965261_thumb.jp

Right. 15 kts at the surface and 35 kts at 850 in a similar direction might give you the same shear magnitude as 5 kts at the surface and 25 kts at 850, with a lot of veering.

00 Soundings should come out soon. The sort of "best guess" of what a sounding might look like is typically one taken from the RAP analysis (though I'm starting to find out that these can be pretty bad too).

College of dupage website has a good "point and click" interface with the RAP, so you can point to a location on a map at a given time and get a forecast sounding. If you want an approximately current sounding, find the most recently initialized RAP run and look at the forecast hour that corresponds to the current time.

this is also where conceptual understanding helps big time, allowing you to play the day out in your head... perhaps seeing in your head how that skew-t might look later. Though that is difficult enough for some met students to do, let alone non mets.

Cell in KS is really impressive.

QiRaJ1Y.png

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GOODLAND HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHEASTERN WICHITA COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL KANSAS...

* UNTIL 915 PM CDT

* AT 828 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO
  WAS LOCATED 13 MILES WEST OF FRIEND...AND IS NEARLY STATIONARY.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW! 

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO. 

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO. 

Nearly stationary... lol Is this the time of the crawling supercells?

Gotta love marginal mid and upper level flow.  :popcorn: Looking at preliminary numbers, its pretty fair to say this was a small/mid-sized regional tornado outbreak for the W/S. Plains.

Gotta love marginal mid and upper level flow. :popcorn: Looking at preliminary numbers, its pretty fair to say this was a small/mid-sized regional tornado outbreak for the S. Plains.

Yup, so much for meh days everyday, lol. Starting early. Now watch, the rest will be meh.

Gotta love marginal mid and upper level flow.  :popcorn: Looking at preliminary numbers, its pretty fair to say this was a small/mid-sized regional tornado outbreak for the S. Plains.

It's been a pretty great day, even more so when you account for them mostly staying in rural non-populated areas.

It's been a pretty great day, even more so when you account for them mostly staying in rural non-populated areas.

Honestly, I don't think there's been one bit of damage with any of these, other then some power lines down, etc. Unless the Big Spring one damaged that airport that kept getting listed in the warning.

Yup, so much for meh days everyday, lol. Starting early. Now watch, the rest will be meh.

That's the recent luck of the plains. If that happens there will need to be a #MakeThePlainsGreatAgain campaign to the weather gods.

Anyways looks like there was a report at 8:30 that the Friend, KS tornado was a half-a-mile wide. Had multiple large tornadoes today, on about 4 different supercells, IIRC.

Still in progress according to the warning from DDC.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DODGE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

NORTHWESTERN FINNEY COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN KANSAS...

NORTHEASTERN KEARNY COUNTY IN SOUTHWESTERN KANSAS...

SOUTHWESTERN SCOTT COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL KANSAS...

* UNTIL 915 PM CDT

* AT 843 PM CDT...A LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS LOCATED

9 MILES WEST OF FRIEND...MOVING EAST AT 10 MPH.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. 

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO. 

SOURCE...RADAR INDICATED ROTATION. 

possible ongoing tornado near Garden City TX (note: not Garden City KS)

--

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
  SOUTHEASTERN GLASSCOCK COUNTY IN WESTERN TEXAS...

* AT 910 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED TORNADO WAS LOCATED OVER GARDEN CITY...
  MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO AND BASEBALL SIZE HAIL.

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO.

Archived