joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tomorrow's snowstorm/rainstorm looks pretty weak. We needed the water. The models have 0.1" to 0.4" in higher elevations. I might be lucky to get 0.1" as the models have just barely some 0.1" areas in the plains of CO. The models predict snow for Valentine, Nebraska.

Matthew & Hermine are trying to provide us hints for the winter I think. Storms with semi-similar tracks happened in 1898, 1954, 1960, 1979, 1985, 1999. Definitely some interesting years. Am thinking specifically of the Georgia Hurricane, Hazel, Donna, David, Kate, and Floyd. To me, Matthew is kind of a blend of David (track), Donna (strength), and Hazel (timing). My winter outlook (I put it in the OK thread), has 1955 and 1960 factored in pretty heavily, so it is interesting to see the hurricane tracks as somewhat similar. Makes me think I'm on the right path for the Atlantic influence on the pattern.

On 10/6/2016 at 4:14 PM, raindancewx said:

Matthew & Hermine are trying to provide us hints for the winter I think.

The main winter storm track will be in north Florida?? Just kidding.

I got 0.14" rain yesterday. Where I was (a couple of miles away,) it hailed in the afternoon yesterday, with a loud crack of thunder. There was 1/2" hail for a few minutes. It was the nastiest thunderstorm I have had this year.

That's a beautiful pic. It won't be long before it happens here. Well, sort of. The next 15 days should be above average here, with short-lived colder weather.

It's nice to know the NWS Podunk is working for us 24 hours a day, 6 days per week. But what will the weather be on Tuesday?

cZOLTsc.jpg

The PDO dropped again in Sept using JISAO/Nate Mantua's method for calculation. The value was 0.45. Will be interesting to see if people are still predicting it to be positive in the winter - neutral (near 0) is most likely. AMO was also quite warm for October - 0.469.

La Nina (Modoki) still looking pretty healthy really, although I expect it to peak between now and November 30th.

I standardized US winter (mean high) temperature anomalies from 1931-32 to 2015-16 if anyone is curious. Everything uses a -8 to +8 scale in increments of 2F against 1981-2010. Overall, the US had colder winters when the Atlantic was cold (1963-1993), with the late 1970s in particular very cold. The Dustbowl winters were kind of nuts, 1933-34 and 1935-36 especially.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ylxy8x6e3p14hsd/US Winter Temperature Anomalies.ppt?dl=0

Been hot here too - 85F yesterday (although it dropped all the way to 49F). 83F today. Albuquerque tends to see big-time February snowstorms when the mean high in Sept hardly drops in October. A "near" normal drop is 11F, anything <=9.6F is a fairly low drop historically. Currently the transition is ~83.2F-->75.9F - definitely on the low side (7.3F). Looks warm through the 18th. After that...should drop off quickly. Will be interesting to see if we can stay above 73.6F or not. My long term assumption was that the impressive heat in July would cycle through in Oct at a lower intensity (less warm), but then reverse in January as intense cold. Actually think we're pretty warm for much of Oct/Nov/Dec in CO/NM/UT/AZ.

image5.gif

Denver has been +4.4F for the month (Oct 1-16). The GEFS 5-day average surface temp anomalies (tropicaltidbits.com) have the Denver area with close to 0 anomaly (day 1-5) and positive (day 6-10 and day 11-15). I thought there might be a change at some point.

Note: wind gusts of 35-55mph around here, from the NW. Greeley airport had 51kt (59mph) -  a severe non-thunderstorm wind. Most of the time, trees take relatively little damage from brief gusts under 60mph.

7 hours ago, Chinook said:

Denver has been +4.4F for the month (Oct 1-16). The GEFS 5-day average surface temp anomalies (tropicaltidbits.com) have the Denver area with close to 0 anomaly (day 1-5) and positive (day 6-10 and day 11-15). I thought there might be a change at some point.

Note: wind gusts of 35-55mph around here, from the NW. Greeley airport had 51kt (59mph) -  a severe non-thunderstorm wind. Most of the time, trees take relatively little damage from brief gusts under 60mph.

Your post reminded me of something - there seems to be some kind of sharp climate threshold here for snowfall. When Dec-Feb mean highs are 51.5F (+2F) or higher here...odds of getting a a snowier than avg cold season (>=9.6") virtually vanish (2/20). I'm not sure why that threshold exists, even in a really "cold" winter down here the highs are in the 40s most days, and really half of the days get to the 50s even in a cold February. I guess it's just losing hours of opportunity for when it is cold enough to snow. But we have no trouble getting above average snows below a mean high of 51.5F. The split is pretty dramatic though:

<=47.5F mean high DJF: 18 winters, 11 snowier than avg cold seasons (60%)

>47.5F and <51.5F mean high DJF: 47 winters, 23 snowier than avg cold seasons (49%)

>=51.F mean high for DJF: 20 winters, 2 snowier than avg cold seasons (10%)

Last two DJFs here were just barely below 51.5F, and we topped 9.6" each time due to El Nino/wetter than normal conditions.

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:31 PM, Chinook said:

We have a ways to go yet but +3.8 for the month would get us to the top 20 warmest. I think we have a very good shot, looking forward. My first snow prediction of Nov 3rd is looking a bit shaky.

Archived