impact our region in the past 30 years. Upstream 850 mb temps of
-6 to -8C and sfc high pressure drifting to our south across the
Middle Ohio River Valley and Central Appalachians over the next
24-36 hours will help to maintain widespread clouds across central
and nw penn with lake effect rain showers scattered across the
central ridge and valley region of the state...and more numerous
nocturnal snow showers/rain showers across the Allegheny Plateau
of northern and western PA. Lake Erie - 850 mb temp spread will
increase to about 16-17C for much of today.

Briefly mdt snowfall rates and morning temps in the low-mid 30s
at KJST and KBFD will lead to the potential for a light coating
of snow...and perhaps up to one half of and inch in a few spots
across Mckean and Potter Counties at elevations above 2200 ft
msl.

Could see some graupel ....from MT Holly AFD:

930 AM Update...No major changes were made other than to increase
the winds faster and adjust temperatures/dew points the next few
hours. We received a report from Monroe County of graupel a short
time ago.

We do not anticipate thunderstorms today, but with the cold pool aloft and
low freezing level, some graupel can occur with any stronger showers.

Not a whole lot of cold this year, but when it shows up, it's been the record/near record variety. I think Central Park has set 2 record lows already this year...going for the third tonight. Can't remember the last time we had that many record lows in a given year.

Edit: After taking a quick look we didn't break a daily record in April like I thought, but came close. Even so, I still can't remember the last time we set 2 record lows in a year. :lol:

Guest Pamela

A brief shower (w/o thunder) just moved through Port Jeff and included what apperared to be small hail...which practically whitened the deck.

Not a whole lot of cold this year, but when it shows up, it's been the record/near record variety. I think Central Park has set 2 record lows already this year...going for the third tonight. Can't remember the last time we had that many record lows in a given year.

Edit: After taking a quick look we didn't break a daily record in April like I thought, but came close. Even so, I still can't remember the last time we set 2 record lows in a year. :lol:

Don't hold me to this, but it appears that the last time we broke at least two record lows in a calendar year was 1994! Based on Upton's record page for Central Park.

Guest Pamela

Don't hold me to this, but it appears that the last time we broke at least two record lows in a calendar year was 1994! Based on Upton's record page for Central Park.

Several weeks ago I had posted about how temperatures would be below normal for the balance of the year; and I was, of course, right. 

My search function is currently disabled so I am having trouble locating the salient post.

A brief shower (w/o thunder) just moved through Port Jeff and included what apperared to be small hail...which practically whitened the deck.

Had to have been graupel. Looks like you get to pencil in a T for May's snowfall column!

Several weeks ago I had posted about how temperatures would be below normal for the balance of the year; and I was, of course, right. 

My search function is currently disabled so I am having trouble locating the salient post.

Summer looks hot, but I guess that's subject to change. Betting on a cold remainder of the year will surely have you living in the streets by the end of the year!

Guest Pamela

Summer looks hot, but I guess that's subject to change. Betting on a cold remainder of the year will surely have you living in the streets by the end of the year!

If I can't pay my property taxes a losing wager won't even be needed for that scenario to manifest...

Guest Pamela

Had to have been graupel. Looks like you get to pencil in a T for May's snowfall column!

Eh, my snowfall record book has already been signed, sealed, and delivered to whereabouts unknown...as Carole King would croon...Its too late....

Eh, my snowfall record book has already been signed, sealed, and delivered to whereabouts unknown...as Carole King would croon...Its too late....

Didn't we talk about this a few weeks ago? The book doesn't get put away til June...

Archived