SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May 2016 General Discussion.

Chambana

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that completely sucks for you peeps to the east. I thought I had it bad with the frost this morning. Snow in mid May is a whole other ballgame.

Temps overnight hit my raspberry bushes pretty hard. Might lose a few stalks even though I covered them.

The crazy part about it too is we had no frost in the city (as temps stayed in the low 40s most of the time).

The snow just made everything even more green and lush.

My mom asked a good question this morning, as we were discussing the stats you listed earlier about late May snowfall, and I said you probably knew the answer, lol.

Do you know if Detroit has gone on record observing snow (measurable or trace) in June? 

Nope. Officially the latest snow on record was May 31, 1910 (snow mixed with rain throughout the day, sounds almost unbelievable) and the earliest is Oct 1, 1974 (just a few flurries). The latest measurable snow was an unprecedented snowstorm on May 21/22, 1883 when Detroit picked up 5.0" (the next latest is May 13, 1912)...and the earliest was Oct 12, 2006 (0.2"). So officially, Detroit has not recorded snow from June 1 to Sept 30 since records began. I do know that twice in late September (once in the 1940s, ironically lol, and once in the 1960s) a few flakes were seen in the area but neither time officially at the airport. I do not know of any such occurrences in June, however.

This mornings snow shower was heavy in Detroit briefly, some describing it as a blizzard heading to Eastern Market. At DTW, due to the thick overcast, temps hung around 39-41F all night long then as the snow shower hit the temp dropped from 40F to 33.8F in minutes. So the low was 34F, which missed the record by 1 degree (would have been the record yesterday). The trace of snow is obviously a record for the day. The record low max today is 48F.

2" on the deck here east of Cleveland. Probably 1-1.5" in the grass. The road even has some accumulation.

Yeah, I got a little antsy when the band set up north of me and took a drive through the Chagrin/South Russel area, there was a good inch or two and I was surprised that the roads were slushy. It was snowing silver dollar sized flakes and coming down hard under that band. Really impressive. Trees were really bending even under only an inch or so of snow since they're all leafed out and the snow was so wet.

thats crazy lol. Flower day is a big deal at Eastern Market.

quick video of snow this morning

I was actually going to head over there to pick up a few things for the yard as I usually do every year. Woke up with a sore throat and saw snow on the radar and noped out of that idea real quick. This is brutal.

Found this pic on Facebook (it's not mine) from Newbury, OH (east of Cleveland), allegedly from today. Given the meteorological context and clues on the picture (green plants next to deck, trees in the background appear to be leafed out) it's plausible it's from today. Very impressive if so...looks like close to 3" on that table.

PSrlpj.jpg

Found this pic on Facebook (it's not mine) from Newbury, OH (east of Cleveland), allegedly from today. Given the meteorological context and clues on the picture (green plants next to deck, trees in the background appear to be leafed out) it's plausible it's from today. Very impressive if so...looks like close to 3" on that table.

PSrlpj.jpg

Looks about right. The rates were really incredible!

Down to 37 here already.  Frost looks like it's a slam dunk now.

I can't ever remember seeing snow of any kind in May here.  I'm sure it's happened in the past, but it's gotta be extremely rare.  Some of you guys are about a month behind us.  Haven't seen a flake here in at least a month.

MLI has recorded measurable snow in May only once...May 3, 1935.  A bunch of other days have had a trace.

It's very likely May will end the streak of consecutive above normal months which is 8, dating back to last September, last BN month was August 2015. 11 out of 15 days this month have been below normal, and next week looks to sing the same tune.

I see euro tamed down the warmup towards the 20-22nd.

Impressive videos and pictures guys. That's really wild seeing snow accumulation pictures in mid May.

Temps crashed through the floor this morning, ended up at 28° for a low. Up into the upper 40s now with clouds on the increase.

Impressive videos and pictures guys. That's really wild seeing snow accumulation pictures in mid May.

Temps crashed through the floor this morning, ended up at 28° for a low. Up into the upper 40s now with clouds on the increase.

Ouch. Hope you didn't have a garden planted yet? That's a pretty hard freeze.

Latest snow I've ever experienced. Nothing accumulated but when I peaked out the window at 7am flakes were flying.

Same here, just after noon around 12:01 pm that's when a heavy wave of mixed precip. hit and lasted a few minutes. Created a trace but just barely on grass...latest I've ever seen for that personally. Sounds far more impressive south of the boarder, 3 inches?

Haven't had a garden since the last house, but I always figured it was best to wait as late as possible to plant to avoid freeze issues.  Sure you can cover stuff up, but I'd rather not mess with that.  Crops really don't take off that much anyway until you get the warm and humid nights that arrive in June.  Until then stuff tends to grow very slowly anyway.  

PSrlpj.jpg

To think people here start getting worried by late February about snow not sticking due to the sun angle. How about a sun angle equivalent to late July? lol

To think people here start getting worried by late February about snow not sticking due to the sun angle. How about a sun angle equivalent to late July? lol

Most of this fell by 10:30am which helped but yeah, if this snow didn't stick after a little while nothing would've, silver dollar sized flakes just raining down. Latest accumulating snow I've personally seen...flurries on 5/21/02 have this beat in terms of latest flakes I've ever seen here.

Archived