• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Math/physics skills for meteorology?

Hurricane Staal

I will soon attend Boston University as a mathematics major and a physics minor. However, my goal is to pursue a graduate degree in atmospheric science.

What math and physics skills are helpful to prepare for said degree? (Note: BU offers several environmental/atmospheric science classes, so I could and should take them.)

Here's the required math+physics for a met undergrad/grad degree (in most schools, anyway)

Math:

Calculus I, II, III

Ordinary Differential Equations

Physics:

Physics I, II, III

Physics I lab

Some of the more optional stuff:

Linear Algebra

Partial Differential Equations

Statistics I

Physics IV (waves)

Course names differ from school to school, so what is listed isn't necessarily what your courses will be called.

Do you think that a physics major is sufficient to pursue an Atmospheric Science masters? Or a mathematics bachelors?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I've seen a handful of physics/math undergrads do fine in a weather grad program. Most of the weather classes are calculus-based, anyway.

Here's the required math+physics for a met undergrad/grad degree (in most schools, anyway)

Math:

Calculus I, II, III

Ordinary Differential Equations

Physics:

Physics I, II, III

Physics I lab

Some of the more optional stuff:

Linear Algebra

Partial Differential Equations

Statistics I

Physics IV (waves)

Course names differ from school to school, so what is listed isn't necessarily what your courses will be called.

Thank you very much! I know that meteorologists should know some programming, so which course below sounds better?

Introduction to Computer Science 1: The first course for computer science majors and anyone seeking a rigorous introduction. Develops computational problem-solving skills by programming in the Python language, and exposes students to variety of other topics from computer science and its applications.

Introduction to Computational Physics: Undergraduate-level introduction to computer programming and methods used to formulate and solve physics problems on the computer. Also touches on more advanced topics such as parallel computing and graphical visualization.

• 3 weeks later...

For my degree, I did actually decide that knowning programing was going to be a useful skill. I almost completed a Minor in Computer Science (as defined by the Comp Sci dept). I ended up getting an Area of Concentration on Comp Sci as defined by the Meteorology dept, though.

I heard somewhere meteorologists learn the basics using Python? I know there are courses free online that teach Python.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

I myself didn't experience it but it makes sense. Java was the thing when I was in college (Python wasn't a big deal yet). Python is a much easier language to begin in that Java was.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived