joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 24-30th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure the hail even verified for yesterday.  I know in a few spots it did and on a couple cells, so it may have verified overall but east of I35 in OK was most certainly a bust.  Biggest we encountered was dime size and we were on some of the larger storms that crossed east of I35 and the VIL/POSH and actual reports seem to indicate 1-1.25 inch hail for all but one location in eastern ok?

I'm not sure the hail even verified for yesterday.  I know in a few spots it did and on a couple cells, so it may have verified overall but east of I35 in OK was most certainly a bust.  Biggest we encountered was dime size and we were on some of the larger storms that crossed east of I35 and the VIL/POSH and actual reports seem to indicate 1-1.25 inch hail for all but one location in eastern ok?

Didn't see anything larger than pea size here in Topeka. The flooding here is bad though, backyard is under water. 

I couldn't believe SPC went with the PDS Watch yesterday.  The veer-back-veer wind profiles should have been a huge warning sign for storm mode.  Corfidi...

I agree the PDS was a poor choice, but to defend the forecasters... more than just one person comes up with the decisions over at SPC, so lets not throw Corfidi's name under the bus because it was the only one listed at the bottom of that watch text. 

I couldn't believe SPC went with the PDS Watch yesterday.  The veer-back-veer wind profiles should have been a huge warning sign for storm mode.  Corfidi...

As bad as that PDS watch was, I'd cut the guy some slack. He's been doing it for well over 20 years and is a great mind in meteorology.

As bad as that PDS watch was, I'd cut the guy some slack. He's been doing it for well over 20 years and is a great mind in meteorology.

He's been very bullish over the last year or so.  I remember another PDS and a few other high end tornado watches of his busting last season that didn't make much sense at the time.  And, when the 2000z outlook was issued, it almost seemed like there was an internal disagreement between forecasters.  Everyone should be on the same page.

I agree the PDS was a poor choice, but to defend the forecasters... more than just one person comes up with the decisions over at SPC, so lets not throw Corfidi's name under the bus because it was the only one listed at the bottom of that watch text.

yes, plus they also collaborate with NWS WFOs to decide on what to do... Obviously OUN/FWD felt there was a good threat for sig tornadoes too.

I don't think it's fair to call out specific forecasters for yesterday's PDS bust, given their expertise, years of experience in the field, and the difficulties of writing forecasts for public consumption. You have to give them respect for that. That said, I do think certain forecasters have certain biases/tendencies that play into some of the decisions that are made. That is why sometimes you'll see discrepancies between different products issued by different forecasters.

From what I understand, even though NWS technically issues the watches, the SPC staff member(s) executes the coordination on the probabilities and the region that is included in the watch. Somewhat similar to the relationship between the President and Congress.

James Spann talks to Weathergeeks (TWC) show about lessons learned April 27, 2011 (This show is from 2015) The 3rd part of this is more about April 27, 2011 than the first two parts.

https://weather.com/tv/shows/wx-geeks/video/anatomy-of-an-outbreak-april-27th-2011-pt-1

https://weather.com/tv/shows/wx-geeks/video/anatomy-of-an-outbreak-april-27th-2011-pt-2

https://weather.com/tv/shows/wx-geeks/video/anatomy-of-an-outbreak-april-27th-2011-pt-3

He's been very bullish over the last year or so.  I remember another PDS and a few other high end tornado watches of his busting last season that didn't make much sense at the time.  And, when the 2000z outlook was issued, it almost seemed like there was an internal disagreement between forecasters.  Everyone should be on the same page.

Sorry but when you say everyone should be on the same page I disagree.  You absolutely do not want group think in these types of situations.  You need to be able to discuss AND disagree on some variables to figure out a path forward.  What if one member of SPC thought yesterday should have been a high risk and all the others just agreed?

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE OMAHA/VALLEY NEBRASKA

344 PM CDT WED APR 27 2016

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 400 PM CDT FOR NORTH

CENTRAL DOUGLAS COUNTY...

AT 343 PM CDT...A CONFIRMED LARGE AND EXTREMELY DANGEROUS TORNADO WAS

LOCATED OVER WESTERN OMAHA...MOVING NORTH AT 20 MPH.

THIS IS A PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

HAZARD...DAMAGING TORNADO. 

SOURCE...WEATHER SPOTTERS CONFIRMED TORNADO. 

IMPACT...YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. FLYING DEBRIS MAY 

BE DEADLY TO THOSE CAUGHT WITHOUT SHELTER. MOBILE HOMES 

WILL BE DESTROYED. CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE TO 

HOMES...BUSINESSES AND VEHICLES IS LIKELY AND COMPLETE 

DESTRUCTION IS POSSIBLE. 

AT 343 PM...AN OFF DUTY NWS EMPLOYEE OBSERVED A TORNADO ALONG 132ND

STREET JUST OF DODGE...HEADING NORTH.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TO REPEAT...A LARGE...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS AND POTENTIALLY DEADLY

TORNADO IS ON THE GROUND. TO PROTECT YOUR LIFE...TAKE COVER NOW! MOVE

TO A BASEMENT OR AN INTERIOR ROOM ON THE LOWEST FLOOR OF A STURDY

BUILDING. AVOID WINDOWS. IF YOU ARE OUTDOORS...IN A MOBILE HOME...OR