• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 24-30th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

Agreed. Busts happen... it's a part of forecasting. SPC puts themselves out there every day... and the one event that there was a tornado bust on, people like him are on them as if it's a regular occurrence. Luckily NWS/SPC have developed thick skin and they don't let the criticism cause them to be excessively conservative in the future because that's when busts are really dangerous.

This also makes sense, while I wouldn't say I'm mad about the PDS watch, If I were in their shoes I would've gone 60/40 for tornadoes instead of 90/80. That being said, I do think that high end of a watch was unjustified, and at the end of the day it is there decision and not mine and I have to respect their decision considering they could have possibly been playing it safe in case the cells were able to remain discrete. It is better to bust over than to bust under with inadequate warning/preparation.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As someone who lived through and lost his neighborhood , and almost lost his entire family to the May 3rd, '99 storm, I am happy with a bust.
I don't fault SPC for forecasting as they did, it was a very difficult set of conditions today.
I would rather have a bust from something overforecast, than being underforecast and it become an extremely life threatening system.

This also makes sense, while I wouldn't say I'm mad about the PDS watch, If I were in their shoes I would've gone 60/40 for tornadoes instead of 90/80. That being said, I do think that high end of a watch was unjustified, and at the end of the day it is there decision and not mine and I have to respect their decision considering they could have possibly been playing it safe in case the cells were able to remain discrete. It is better to bust over than to bust under with inadequate warning/preparation.

The thing is, too, the people at SPC have been doing this for a loooooooooooooooooooooong time. Dr. Forbes also predicted a tornado outbreak, and he's been in the field of severe weather for over 40 years now. What we were talking about here is obviously no secret to them; they obviously took these things into consideration.

IMO it is inexcusable and downright maddening that the SPC went forward with these forecasts. We have all talked on here for days about the problems and sure enough it all came to fruition as we had nothing but messy storm modes throughout the afternoon and now have everything going linear. To issue such dire forecasts with talk of even a high risk and a PDS Tornado Watch was absolutely ridiculous

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/exper/reports/

(over 300 at post time)

Everyone knows it will be a bust after the fact. I think everyone expected more than 2 Tornado reports today even though the setup was far from perfect.

Luckily we had a few decent events in February.

And in November. And December.

This event has made me excited for the summer severe season. Hope the current summer forecasts verify.

Agreed. Busts happen... it's a part of forecasting. SPC puts themselves out there every day... and the one event that there was a tornado bust on, people like him are on them as if it's a regular occurrence. Luckily NWS/SPC have developed thick skin and they don't let the criticism cause them to be excessively conservative in the future because that's when busts are really dangerous.

agreed, it's something professional forecasters face every day. we don't like it when we bust, we absolutely hate it. but one of the things the better forecasters do is learn from the mistake, take notes (mental or otherwise), and learn from it for next time something similar happens. 

as for a bust today, yes the tornado portion busted. but as for the number of wind and hail reports to this point, those in and of themselves look like enough to consider the moderate risk should be confirmed.

Tornado in NE OKC Metro - by all indications on RADAR it's pretty significant rotation.

Edit: confirmed

Yep. Had a debris signature in all of the dual-pol variables and everything. Pretty impressive for a QLCS. Circulation passed right by me in OKC but luckily wasn't too tight at the time.

ChA2cpmU0AASP6w.jpg

Edit: Still looks to be on the ground in latest KTLX scan. 

Read more. Post less

Absolutely not. As an experienced chaser who has intercepted multiple tornadoes I have enough forecasting experience to make such statements. Bottom line is if someone without a met tag would have posted such forecasts they would have been labeled a weenie instantly lol.

I agree busts happen and we all know that and I don't expect those guys to be perfect. However media outlets and the SPC should have shown much more caution instead of going guns blazing with a PDS Watch

Absolutely not. As an experienced chaser who has intercepted multiple tornadoes I have enough forecasting experience to make such statements. Bottom line is if someone without a met tag would have posted such forecasts they would have been labeled a weenie instantly lol.

I agree busts happen and we all know that and I don't expect those guys to be perfect. However media outlets and the SPC should have shown much more caution instead of going guns blazing with a PDS Watch

The only weenies are NE snowlovers and don't get me started on that. I mean, I can see why they issued it. It's probably better to be over busted instead of under busted since at the time OUN soundings didn't show the VBV as much as forecasted and we had discrete cells going up in OK. 

The only weenies are NE snowlovers and don't get me started on that. I mean, I can see why they issued it. It's probably better to be over busted instead of under busted since at the time OUN soundings didn't show the VBV as much as forecasted and we had discrete cells going up in OK. 

It was a really tough forecast, and they really just made their best guess on it given how things had evolved. They knew that everything would become linear eventually, just expected more time in which storms would be discrete, and therefore would tap into the increasing low-level wind fields in the evening.

It was a really tough forecast, and they really just made their best guess on it given how things had evolved. They knew that everything would become linear eventually, just expected more time in which storms would be discrete, and therefore would tap into the increasing low-level wind fields in the evening.

Probably the toughest forecast I've had. 

Are we all really that surprised. I know tors can happen in the Plains and serious events too but more often than not the environment is so ripe that storms explode and go linear quickly.

I think the main reason we didn't get much if any discrete cells was due to the fact that Gary England hardly commented on this the last 7 days so he knew!!

Are we all really that surprised. I know tors can happen in the Plains and serious events too but more often than not the environment is so ripe that storms explode and go linear quickly.

I think the main reason we didn't get much if any discrete cells was due to the fact that Gary England hardly commented on this the last 7 days so he knew!!

Not trying to be that guy, but it's an issue of the wind profiles, not instability, that causes storms to go linear quickly. 

With the large cut-off low and thus very meridional flow, the flow was very much parallel to the front, which is exactly the opposite of what you want for discrete convection. It was a classic linear setup. I'll be honest, I was very perplexed as to why a PDS tornado watch was issued.

Of course, the mod risk will still verify as this was a great setup for hail. 

Archived