• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
My wife wants to move to NC desperately but i wont budge

Ji

its not like i live in a snow Mecca but Snow at Dulles airport compared to snow where she wants to live(cary, NC) is too vast of a difference.

I like snow too much too move to NC

is there a silver lining. Please tell me there is more snow down here than i think?

What is the average daytime temp in Jan and Feb?

I like the housing prices down here but lack of winter is crushing? Is winter really that sucky in NC?

Average snow is 6-7" in Cary, I believe.  Average highs in January are in the upper 40s and low to mid 50s for February, I believe.  Average lows near 30.

Obviously, that's much worse than Leesburg, so...

On the other hand, the snow you do get is cherished more in NC compared to NOVA.  I'm about to move to FL, so I won't have any snow to cherish soon. :lol:

Cary is nicknamed "Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees" so you'll fit right in!

All joking aside, I think the lack to snowfall or the average of 6-9" in central NC is what makes big dogs all that more exciting. Cary is on the west side of Wake County. In a lot of or storms we have a stout rain/snow line with coastals that almost always cuts right through Wake County. In that case Raleigh would get 1" and Cary could get 6". I live in Garner now and will move to Morrisville soon which is right beside Cary and can't wait because I'll get more snow (that's how serious this r/s line is).

Our severe season is the best on the east coast IMO. Hurricane season is also pretty good with a decent chance at a NC landfall most years.

Silver lining? Mountains are 3 hours away (you could always chase 12-24"+ snow there, many of us do), best beaches on the east coast are 2-3 hours away (3 for outer banks).

Last winter was the worst I've experienced in a while. I got 0.1" in my backyard.

I guess another silver lining is when we get big storms the city shuts down. No one drives, no one works, etc....even for 3" or so. "snow days" still exist down here.

Average snow is 6-7" in Cary, I believe.  Average highs in January are in the upper 40s and low to mid 50s for February, I believe.  Average lows near 30.

Obviously, that's much worse than Leesburg, so...

On the other hand, the snow you do get is cherished more in NC compared to NOVA.  I'm about to move to FL, so I won't have any snow to cherish soon. :lol:

thanks. Upper 40s not so bad so you do get some winter. Florida though...ouch!

Cary is nicknamed "Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees" so you'll fit right in!

All joking aside, I think the lack to snowfall or the average of 6-9" in central NC is what makes big dogs all that more exciting. Cary is on the west side of Wake County. In a lot of or storms we have a stout rain/snow line with coastals that almost always cuts right through Wake County. In that case Raleigh would get 1" and Cary could get 6". I live in Garner now and will move to Morrisville soon which is right beside Cary and can't wait because I'll get more snow (that's how serious this r/s line is).

Our severe season is the best on the east coast IMO. Hurricane season is also pretty good with a decent chance at a NC landfall most years.

Silver lining? Mountains are 3 hours away (you could always chase 12-24"+ snow there, many of us do), best beaches on the east coast are 2-3 hours away (3 for outer banks).

Last winter was the worst I've experienced in a while. I got 0.1" in my backyard.

I guess another silver lining is when we get big storms the city shuts down. No one drives, no one works, etc....even for 3" or so. "snow days" still exist down here.

DC is too far north for southern sliders to far south of Miller B's so one good thing, i could actually participate in those southern slider threats lol

One nice thing about this area is we can get a big snow or ice storm; or we can get nearly nothing. Here's a good link for past events: 

http://www.weather.gov/rah/events

As Jon stated, Wake is the cut off so you would want to live north and west of Raleigh. **of course there's always exceptions where south and east of Raleigh score big.  

its not like i live in a snow Mecca but Snow at Dulles airport compared to snow where she wants to live(cary, NC) is too vast of a difference.

I like snow too much too move to NC

is there a silver lining. Please tell me there is more snow down here than i think?

What is the average daytime temp in Jan and Feb?

I like the housing prices down here but lack of winter is crushing? Is winter really that sucky in NC?

I lived in Cary for 9 years. It's a one of a kind place and one of the most liveable areas in the country. The Lochmere Crescent Commons area was enjoyable.

When I was there we had some awesome winters in 2000 and 2002 and in 2002 we kept at least some snow on the ground somewhere for around 45 days in the shady spots.

Since 2003 good snows have been hard to get in RDU.

For the best snow in NC consider the NW High Country counties.

West of Chapel Hill and East of I-95 is where you want to be, if you want snow. Or up along the VA border, particularly around Roxboro.

Do not move to the Triangle with the expectation that you will see any appreciable snowfall whatsoever...unless you have time travel capability.

I work in Cary and my wife is from DC. She loves it here. The shopping's not bad restaurants are good and there is NO DC traffic. As Jon and others pointed out,you are close to some of the most beautiful places on the planet. Snow is a bit of a unicorn but when it does happen it's awesome and you can chase to some really pretty areas close by. With my job I could live anywhere I want. I haven't left because politics aside, it's an awesome state.

The farther NW that you can go from Cary the better. NW of chapel Hill is better and not that far away ( in DC terms) from Cary. Most of durham sucks except south point and chapel hill sides. East Durham is WHERE THE BULLETS FLY.

The bullets fly in Wilkesboro , but they are just to control the bird population! :)

don't worry, we have plenty of posters that cancel winter in Sept too.

It goes way beyond that...lol. 

Personally, I find Ji quite entertaining and reading his posts in the winter has become a tradition. And quite funny. I'd miss him but can't speak for everyone. haha

My fear is that he will crack and have a breakdown living in the south. Then it won't be so funny. Could be dangerous. Better than 50% odds it makes local news and at least a 25% chance at national news. 

Archived