Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks slightly more ideal for powderfreak. A lot of those are almost over BOS to just east of PWM. If I'm dendrite, I think I want canal cutters.

Yes, those are low tracks for the bigger far interior snowstorms since '77 (though missing more recent storms over past 5-7 years)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah tough call. I don't want all of my snow to be deformation...a CCB here and there would be nice. Some of those BOS tracks scream the usual Tip-Dom screwzone.

Obviously we're generalizing here too...we know depending on how tilted a system is, the same sfc tracks can produce totally different jackpot zones. I would think for your area, some canal cutters mixed with SWFE redevelopers (like BGM redeveloping over SE MA or something) would be the ideal recipe for max snowpack construction. Mix in a late bloomer Miller B or two.

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks slightly more ideal for powderfreak. A lot of those are almost over BOS to just east of PWM. If I'm dendrite, I think I want canal cutters.

I just mean NNE in general. Brian's name came up since he said that to James.  Hopefully a mix for all this year.

my favorite snow events are the ones where the entire met world says 2-3" followed by 1/16th of an inch of glaze and .1" of accumulated sleet followed summarily by 14" of powdery snow and just briefly softened on the top as ending drizzle. 

that seemed like a recurrent theme Dec 2007 - ended up with a 40" month out my way

What do we think of November? Euro monthlies looked like the Midwest and central U.S would start to be getting cold...but trying to interpolate based on the December forecast, it would look like the 2nd half of Novie is pretty cold for us as the lower anomalies migrate east.

Just one model forecast, but the Euro seasonal does have a bit of skill in the 1-2 month time frame (much less once out into Jan/Feb). November has been kind of schizo recently...we had some pretty cold stuff at times in 2013 and 2014...but an absolute furnace in 2015, 2011, and 2009.

47 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Did Brian draw that in his sleep?

26 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I haven't been able to stand up in mixed company since I saw that. 

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I don't think the Northern New England folks should cry about not getting snow the last few years.  I think they should let SNE get in on the action, especially places where we haven't seen much of it except for the 04-05 winter and the 14-15 winter.  Those years we got 98" and 75" respectively here in Harwich, otherwise we haven't had many above average snowfall winters in the last 27 years.  For crying out loud, if Northern New Englanders don't get 150" it is a crying shame.  Sorry end of rant.  You know I am right about this.

FWIW we have had multiple businesses close here in St. J during the past month or so.  The owners cited the poor revenue last winter due to loss of snow related business as a contributing factor that tipped the scales.  If they wish to cry and rant I have no issues with that.  

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I heard some chatter about November trending cooler. I think many were torching it previously. The weeklies still feature Bering sea troughing despite a -NAO look to start November. That doesn't exact inspire cool to start, although not torchy either.

Nov 2008 had that, and was pretty cold over our region, though obviously some other stuff needs to be good...we had some western ridging and N ATL ridging in Nov 2008.

2 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I don't think the Northern New England folks should cry about not getting snow the last few years.  I think they should let SNE get in on the action, especially places where we haven't seen much of it except for the 04-05 winter and the 14-15 winter.  Those years we got 98" and 75" respectively here in Harwich, otherwise we haven't had many above average snowfall winters in the last 27 years.  For crying out loud, if Northern New Englanders don't get 150" it is a crying shame.  Sorry end of rant.  You know I am right about this.

Last time I measured 150+ was 83-84, in Ft. Kent, and I sure don't expect northern Aroostook snowfall where I now live.  However, last winter for the nearby co-op was the 4th lowest in their 123 years of record, less than 4" from rock bottom.  Much of the Northeast has had well above normal snowfall from 2000 on, while that co-op has been barely (2%) above their average.  (Despite recording 40" from the 12/6-7/2003 storm when no one else in the foothills had more than about 25".) 

At least it wasn't 2005-06, when nearby snowmo industry folks were scavenging old snowpiles from parking lots, to patch lower elevation trails, and when the manager of Aroostook State Park had to tell a caller from Corpus Christi, of all ironic places, that northern Maine had too little snow in mid February to allow good sledding.  Of course, last winter was so bad that many such folks just gave up early and polished their golf clubs.

It's only snow. :)

23 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Last time I measured 150+ was 83-84, in Ft. Kent, and I sure don't expect northern Aroostook snowfall where I now live.  However, last winter for the nearby co-op was the 4th lowest in their 123 years of record, less than 4" from rock bottom.  Much of the Northeast has had well above normal snowfall from 2000 on, while that co-op has been barely (2%) above their average.  (Despite recording 40" from the 12/6-7/2003 storm when no one else in the foothills had more than about 25".) 

At least it wasn't 2005-06, when nearby snowmo industry folks were scavenging old snowpiles from parking lots, to patch lower elevation trails, and when the manager of Aroostook State Park had to tell a caller from Corpus Christi, of all ironic places, that northern Maine had too little snow in mid February to allow good sledding.  Of course, last winter was so bad that many such folks just gave up early and polished their golf clubs.

It's only snow. :)

Never took it off the trailer last year.................:(

3 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

cape cod, MA is the area that has the lowest average snowfall in all of New England. You know i am right about that.

serious question for you James. how much snow did you get last winter, and what was the percentage of that amount vs. your average.

for example, at my dad's house in central NH he got 40", average is 65". so he got about 62% of average. how did Harwich, CAPE COD, MA do?

7 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

cape cod, MA is the area that has the lowest average snowfall in all of New England. You know i am right about that.

serious question for you James. how much snow did you get last winter, and what was the percentage of that amount vs. your average.

for example, at my dad's house in central NH he got 40", average is 65". so he got about 62% of average. how did Harwich, CAPE COD, MA do?

Actually the south coast of CT is the lowest..prob far SW CT around Greenwich to Stamford...maybe another secondary min near GON.

7 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

And that's not even that bad compared to some other area's where the discrepancy was much more.

While they don't keep any official records, I think Bennington, VT had maybe 10-15" and they average close to 65"

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Actually the south coast of CT is the lowest..prob far SW CT around Greenwich to Stamford...maybe another secondary min near GON.

i figured you would be along soon enough to correct me on an area lol. but to me that area is more NYC than NE, but that's just me.

14 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

And that's not even that bad compared to some other area's where the discrepancy was much more.

While they don't keep any official records, I think Bennington, VT had maybe 10-15" and they average close to 65"

no doubt there are areas that did way worse than my dad. just throwing out a comparison for king james. I would use MBY, but i live in an urban area where i don't even bother measuring.

52 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Never took it off the trailer last year.................:(

Me either. In an average season VAST subsidizes about 140,000 miles of grooming, last year it was less than 10,000 miles. Speaking of sledding, I will be working the VAST booth at the Maine Snowmobile show in Augusta next weekend. Really want to get up there to ride sometime. 

Me either. In an average season VAST subsidizes about 140,000 miles of grooming, last year it was less than 10,000 miles. Speaking of sledding, I will be working the VAST booth at the Maine Snowmobile show in Augusta next weekend. Really want to get up there to ride sometime. 

You would enjoy it, You can run the gauntlet on style of riding and thousands of miles of maintained trails here

6 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Let SNE get in on the action? We've been on quite the stretch minus 2011-12.... we've had more than our fair share.

your posts make it sound like we should expect to see similar amounts. Those areas depend on; and expect to see a lot of snow.

you live in a location that doesn't receive much snow... it's important to know climo.

17 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

LOL Jesus h.

Archived