Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2016/2017 because its never too early

Ginx snewx

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is PF at the village? 700'? Close to 500' change then. 

Yes. Probably more like 600 ft change as most of Weymouth is around 70-100 ft. Though there's spots around 150 ft out near Rt 53 and 3.

But regardless, the general point still stands...the climates can change dramatically over short distances...much shorter than Stowe to Weymouth.

I mean, ask peeps how winter was in 2007-2008 in Leominster, MA and then ask them in Kingstown, RI...two entirely different worlds, even relative to expectations of what a normal winter is in each spot....what is that, a third of the distance? And even less elevation change.

from Weymouth to Stowe is only 500 ft elevation change? Plus latitude

I'm pretty sure PF's entries in the snow table come from his home, which IIRC is at some 700' elev, so about 600' difference.  He also notes snowfall at the Stowe base (1,500') and his snowboard at 3,000'.  Rocky Mountain locations where everything hinges on elevation, don't make great comparisons to New England.  However, here our lesser topographical differences are augmented by distance from the ocean and varying storm tracks and, I agree, a three hour drive can cover a lot of climatic variation even here.  One can get from Kittery to the base lodge at Sugarloaf in not much over 3 hours.

Yes. Probably more like 600 ft change as most of Weymouth is around 70-100 ft. Though there's spots around 150 ft out near Rt 53 and 3.

But regardless, the general point still stands...the climates can change dramatically over short distances...much shorter than Stowe to Weymouth.

I mean, ask peeps how winter was in 2007-2008 in Leominster, MA and then ask them in Kingstown, RI...two entirely different worlds, even relative to expectations of what a normal winter is in each spot....what is that, a third of the distance? And even less elevation change.

**** from Kingston to Foster RI is a 30 inch average winter difference, 20 short minutes

I'm pretty sure PF's entries in the snow table come from his home, which IIRC is at some 700' elev, so about 600' difference.  He also notes snowfall at the Stowe base (1,500') and his snowboard at 3,000'.  Rocky Mountain locations where everything hinges on elevation, don't make great comparisons to New England.  However, here our lesser topographical differences are augmented by distance from the ocean and varying storm tracks and, I agree, a three hour drive can cover a lot of climatic variation even here.  One can get from Kittery to the base lodge at Sugarloaf in not much over 3 hours.

I thought he was talking about the mountain. I am at 515 just up my hill 1/4 mile is almost as high as him 737, latitude means a lot

Well yeah, true.  I mean Mansfield to BTV is about 15 miles and I'd say its the most varied climate in such a short distance anywhere in New England.

Yeah the climates are very different....my point was more with regards to how a given winter plays out at two different spots.

Like a good winter at BTV is also a good winter on Mansfield more often than not, despite the climates being much different.

Same with like BOS and ORH...different climates but more often than not the winters are fairly similar (again, more often than not as I'm sure there are some years that are different).

I think the biggest differences are probably more coastal plain vs. interior with regards to how a given winter is perceived.  Like western Mass having a huge winter usually bodes well for us up here in the north too.  But BOS having a huge winter doesn't usually have the same correlation up here as say MPM having a huge winter (despite similar latitude). 

Not sure if that makes any sense.  Naturally climates can change very quickly over small distances, but the overall tenor of a given winter doesn't necessarily change that fast.

I thought he was talking about the mountain. I am at 515 just up my hill 1/4 mile is almost as high as him 737, latitude means a lot

Its all latitude and surrounding topography, in my opinion.  J.Spin lives 20 feet lower than you and destroys pretty much all inhabited spots in New England for snowfall.  Like 750ft here is mountain valley climate (huge diurnal swings, calm winds) while 750ft in parts of SNE is closer to hilltop climate (low diurnal temp range, more wind, etc).

Just like someone could live at 500ft in the Champlain Valley and get downsloped in all directions, while 500ft to the east in the Spine gets a solid twice as much snow. 

But my original comment was more on how Scott got the same amount of snow in 07-08 as he did this winter... and how the overall tenor of different winters changes from one place to another (different than just climatology) relative to normal.

**** from Kingston to Foster RI is a 30 inch average winter difference, 20 short minutes

My favorite is BTV to Mansfield... 15 miles and its a 40-inch difference in total LIQUID PRECIPITATION not snowfall.  That's absolutely insane when you really think about it. 

From an annual precip average of 30-40" to like 70-80" all in the same county. 

Its all latitude and surrounding topography, in my opinion.  J.Spin lives 20 feet lower than you and destroys pretty much all inhabited spots in New England for snowfall.  Like 750ft here is mountain valley climate (huge diurnal swings, calm winds) while 750ft in parts of SNE is closer to hilltop climate (low diurnal temp range, more wind, etc).

Just like someone could live at 500ft in the Champlain Valley and get downsloped in all directions, while 500ft to the east in the Spine gets a solid twice as much snow. 

But my original comment was more on how Scott got the same amount of snow in 07-08 as he did this winter... and how the overall tenor of different winters changes from one place to another (different than just climatology) relative to normal.

Yes, that was my comparison to a place like Leominster, MA to Kingstown, RI in '07-'08....but hell, you don't even need to go that far...try from like Middleton, MA or Boxford, MA to maybe Rehoboth, MA that winter...and you go from way above average to crap winter.

Couple areas to my SW are above 200'. But yeah..it's clearly latitude in this case.  I think PF and I more or less were speaking in terms of how latitude was instrumental in that Nina winter....and many Ninas for that matter. 

Yes, that was my comparison to a place like Leominster, MA to Kingstown, RI in '07-'08....but hell, you don't even need to go that far...try from like Middleton, MA or Boxford, MA to maybe Rehoboth, MA that winter...and you go from way above average to crap winter.

PVD-BOS in 92-93. 

Yup. Pick your mountain/valley pair - MWM-Gorham, MLT-Katahdin. (No data for this last, however.)

Yup...though I think the BTV to MMNV1 might take the cake, mostly because BTV is like really in a valley. The others are more like MMNV1 vs MVL...mountain top and mountain valley. BTV is more like a BDL than a Gorham when it comes to local climate...it doesn't even get the mountain valley radiational cooling that the other areas get. It's climate couldn't be further from Mansfield's and yet still be in the same county (albeit the other side).

Be interesting to try and compare temperature differences and precip differences across the various high elevation/valley bottom spots.

Yup...though I think the BTV to MMNV1 might take the cake, mostly because BTV is like really in a valley. The others are more like MMNV1 vs MVL...mountain top and mountain valley. BTV is more like a BDL than a Gorham when it comes to local climate...it doesn't even get the mountain valley radiational cooling that the other areas get. It's climate couldn't be further from Mansfield's and yet still be in the same county (albeit the other side).

Be interesting to try and compare temperature differences and precip differences across the various high elevation/valley bottom spots.

BTV - Mansfield reminds me of SLC - Alta more than anywhere else. So many times I've gone skiing in absolute crushing winter conditions - nuking snow, howling winds, arctic temps, only to drive home to BTV to see sun, clear skies, light winds and bare ground. 

here's a long shot ...  Scientist reporting that Greenland's perennial ice melt has begun at a record early date in the calendar year. 

to say nothing of the furthering implications to GW, how about a sudden breakdown of the thermalhaline circulation ? 

huh huh ...  ?

here's a long shot ...  Scientist reporting that Greenland's perennial ice melt has begun at a record early date in the calendar year. 

to say nothing of the furthering implications to GW, how about a sudden breakdown of the thermalhaline circulation ? 

huh huh ...  ?

Get ready for Day After Tomorrow storms.

BTV - Mansfield reminds me of SLC - Alta more than anywhere else. So many times I've gone skiing in absolute crushing winter conditions - nuking snow, howling winds, arctic temps, only to drive home to BTV to see sun, clear skies, light winds and bare ground. 

Yeah I can't imagine you'd find that type of difference on such a regular basis elsewhere in the northeast... we're talking like 1-2"/hr snows sustained at one place, while its partly sunny in another with bare ground, all in the same county. 

Leave BTV with dry roads and sunshine, enter the clouds quickly around Williston with flurries starting around that Rest Area.  Then its snowing steadily but lightly in Richmond...followed by full on blizzard 10 minutes later around J.Spin's house near the short climb up to Waterbury.

my god bdl has had some other stinkers before I started keeping records and there were a number of years where Bristol Ct did considerably better than bdl so imagine how bad it may have been here in death valley

this year just a typical ratter, it can occasionally be much worse....omg

99-00 was not nearly as bad in Bristol...omg at the bdl total... maybe Springfield didn't crack a foot lol

my god bdl has had some other stinkers before I started keeping records and there were a number of years where Bristol Ct did considerably better than bdl so imagine how bad it may have been here in death valley

this year just a typical ratter, it can occasionally be much worse....omg

99-00 was not nearly as bad in Bristol...omg at the bdl total... maybe Springfield didn't crack a foot lol

99-00 I was living in Sixteen Acres at 220',I believe we had about 20 inches for the season with right in downtown having a few inches less, from what I can recall.

• 2 weeks later...

08-09 was definitely one of my favorite underrated winters. I think there are both personal and meteorological reasons for it....but I truly enjoyed that winter. Such an awesome December. I gotta take a page from Kevin's book and say it truly means a lot to have full on winter December and January.

Didn't we also have a storm on March 2, 2009 that was almost a Kocin?

99-00 I was living in Sixteen Acres at 220',I believe we had about 20 inches for the season with right in downtown having a few inches less, from what I can recall.

From what I remember about 1999-2000 there was a winter, but totally compressed into January 24-February 9.  And the summer that followed was total ratter, one of the worst.

Archived